Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Future 2022 Model S buyer Thanks you for the list. My question is: Is Tesla addressing these "known issues" or they just pushing units out for production quotas? I've seen no info, news, or public postings from Tesla's quality group, or if they even exist. Seems it's all internal and on production numbers. Quality has to be built in and not forced fixed at the backend of production. Appears they don't care about what being produced and not trying to be better. They won't be the king of the EV's for long just because they are to market first. Pintos, Vegas, and the Studebaker come to mind, how soon we forget. Enuff said.
Yes.

To everything you said.

They are addressing this stuff over time. In the meantime they’re putting out cars that do have issues.

As they address issues they continue to develop new stuff that has its own issues. They fix that stuff over time while putting out cars with the new issues.

Repeat.

Some things never get truly resolved. Most things do.

Reactions: aerodyne
Future 2022 Model S buyer Thanks you for the list. My question is: Is Tesla addressing these "known issues" or they just pushing units out for production quotas? I've seen no info, news, or public postings from Tesla's quality group, or if they even exist. Seems it's all internal and on production numbers. Quality has to be built in and not forced fixed at the backend of production. Appears they don't care about what being produced and not trying to be better. They won't be the king of the EV's for long just because they are to market first. Pintos, Vegas, and the Studebaker come to mind, how soon we forget. Enuff said.
Ford made Pintos and GM the Vega, and both companies are still around.

Ford made Pintos and GM the Vega, and both companies are still around.

I owned two Vegas. One Cosworth. 150k miles experience, not easy to do back in the day.

There is no comparing even the most bug ridden Tesla to the above. The Cosworth blueprinted was an 8 sec 0-60 car.

Its not that Tesla does not care about quality. How many battery fires in a Million Cars? How many in the last year? Compare that to the Leaf or Bolt or even the Taycant.

To keep my sanity, (Apart from venting here) I assume they (Elon) just care about other things more. Money, Making production numbers, and of course, Mars.

Least on their radar is owners missing parts or functionality. That's why service is a "Not a Cost Center"

They probably get less resources than other overhead Dept like HR!

And they must want it that way!

Reactions: doubleshot
The cosmetic issues they are fixing. The design flaws have not been fixed.

Reactions: jebinc
For your reading pleasure

Screenshot_20220201-222159.png

Last edited:
I’m reposting this as it’s the more appropriate thread but I had some interior issues at delivery unfortunately.

Well I got my model s on Tuesday. I have already put about 150 miles on it. Overall the car is incredible. The exterior of the car was perfect but the interior had quite a few small issues.

1. Both front seats had loose material on the back rest.
2. Dust/debris was in between the plastic and actual display on the drivers display. Which cannot be cleaned obviously.
3. Super annoying tick/rattle coming from what seems the a pillar or the head liner. Can’t figure out where it’s coming from might be behind the cover as I cannot place my hand on it to stop the noise anywhere in the area here is a link to the noise (sorry for the rustling) you can hear my coat a bit:
4. There is adhesive looking stuff on both the rear door cars that won’t come off.
5. The windshield has marks/haze on it that are visible when the wipers pass (like a forged window) that won’t wipe off even with rubbing alcohol.

I want to be excited for this car but it’s difficult to look past all these issues for now. I’m pretty anxious to have the service center work on it. With my luck dealers usually damage stuff making the overall situation worse than the issue I brought it in for. I also am anticipating the it’s “within spec” comments or can’t find the rattle etc.

Attachments

• 2B1F2D36-D9E2-4018-B8B4-7465AF42047C.jpeg
    2B1F2D36-D9E2-4018-B8B4-7465AF42047C.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 96
  • EFE0C1C8-13CD-4FC3-A43B-70009D512C54.jpeg
    EFE0C1C8-13CD-4FC3-A43B-70009D512C54.jpeg
    577.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DD29B436-82C4-4758-8618-71E812189F7C.jpeg
    DD29B436-82C4-4758-8618-71E812189F7C.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: planetary
I’m reposting this as it’s the more appropriate thread but I had some interior issues at delivery unfortunately.

Well I got my model s on Tuesday. I have already put about 150 miles on it. Overall the car is incredible. The exterior of the car was perfect but the interior had quite a few small issues.

1. Both front seats had loose material on the back rest.
2. Dust/debris was in between the plastic and actual display on the drivers display. Which cannot be cleaned obviously.
3. Super annoying tick/rattle coming from what seems the a pillar or the head liner. Can’t figure out where it’s coming from might be behind the cover as I cannot place my hand on it to stop the noise anywhere in the area here is a link to the noise (sorry for the rustling) you can hear my coat a bit:
4. There is adhesive looking stuff on both the rear door cars that won’t come off.
5. The windshield has marks/haze on it that are visible when the wipers pass (like a forged window) that won’t wipe off even with rubbing alcohol.

I want to be excited for this car but it’s difficult to look past all these issues for now. I’m pretty anxious to have the service center work on it. With my luck dealers usually damage stuff making the overall situation worse than the issue I brought it in for. I also am anticipating the it’s “within spec” comments or can’t find the rattle etc.
It's a struggle. Can you check if you have the following two things on your car as well?

The yoke makes a continuous buzzing sound after the first button press. It is silent until you press any button. The noise comes from the left side of the yoke, near the headlamp icon. This is likely caused by a bug in the haptic feedback motor control software.
Here is the yoke noise:

New video by Jonathan Viventi

The software logic for the console cubby light is backwards. The light turns off when you open the lid and turns on when you close it.
Cubby light problem:

It's a struggle. Can you check if you have the following two things on your car as well?

The yoke makes a continuous buzzing sound after the first button press. It is silent until you press any button. The noise comes from the left side of the yoke, near the headlamp icon. This is likely caused by a bug in the haptic feedback motor control software.
Here is the yoke noise:

The software logic for the console cubby light is backwards. The light turns off when you open the lid and turns on when you close it.
Cubby light problem:

No yoke noises but my cubby light is backwards too.

Cubby light problem:

I can tell you. My light never turns off in the console cubby. Slide mine all the way back. On. Middle. On. Fully closed (well no idea)

Really? What build date and vin? Try listening really closely, after turning on and off the turn signals. Put your ear up to the headlight button on the yoke.

Maybe they have fixed it in later cars?? That would be good news.
Lol. You and your yoke noise. If you can only hear it if you're really got your head next to the yoke. It doesn't matter. It's a nothing burger

Reactions: cwanja and jebinc
I can tell you. My light never turns off in the console cubby. Slide mine all the way back. On. Middle. On. Fully closed (well no idea)
Throw a recording cell phone or equal inside, close cubby?

Power drain is a watt or two, but what if it keeps the car awake?

BTW, nuclear option is disconnect the light, and put a battery powered light with sensor like Abstract Ocean sells for the old MS cubby tray.

Reactions: doubleshot