Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my model S today (my third Tesla). Pretty pissed, as this is the worst build quality I have experienced so far. Had a couple issues I wanted to post here to see if anyone else had similar. One is the rocker panel misalignment and if anyone has got theirs fixed, the second is this weird windshield/dash trim alignment where I can literally see into A pillar on the driver side.... Dont even get me started on how horribly the left side of my trunk is aligned. Service advisor already stated im going to have to get a new bumper due to debris in the paint, same thing on A pillar for passenger but I guess bodyshop will have to repaint that
Join the club. I have over 2 dozen issues. Mobile service could not address anything. Having to take it in and give them realistic list to fix in the first session and leave all body and paint for another session. Customer service could not be any worse than the quality control.

Aside from the number of paint, alignment issues like yourself, I have a laundry list of issues: center screen overheating, door handle getting stuck not being able to open the door, mushy brakes, water getting inside the car b/c the window seals are garbage, distortion in the windshield, rear and side glass, key fobs not working. It is a much longer list but these are just some of the issues i found on inspection day and within the first 100 miles. I continue to find other issues as i've driven the car a hand full of times at most.

I can live with all the issues, knowing they will eventually get fixed. But the lack of customer support is more egregious than the issues themselves. Almost no communication from the service center. Having to wait 3-4 months to resolve these issues is inexcusable for car this expensive. My neighbor purchased a new hybrid from toyota, with zero issues. 10 years in and Tesla still can't figure out how to make a car without these issues b/c they don't give a damn about quality control or customer service.

If lucid didn't have such a long wait list, I would have gone that route instead. I need the range, hence the S, was looking at Porsche, but range is pathetic. I was going to buy the Roadster, at least i didn't blow 200K+ on this type of quality and service.

I will never buy another Tesla again, first and last.

Aside from the number of paint, alignment issues like yourself, I have a laundry list of issues: center screen overheating, door handle getting stuck not being able to open the door, mushy brakes, water getting inside the car b/c the window seals are garbage, distortion in the windshield, rear and side glass, key fobs not working. It is a much longer list but these are just some of the issues i found on inspection day and within the first 100 miles. I continue to find other issues as i've driven the car a hand full of times at most.

I can live with all the issues, knowing they will eventually get fixed. But the lack of customer support is more egregious than the issues themselves. Almost no communication from the service center. Having to wait 3-4 months to resolve these issues is inexcusable for car this expensive. My neighbor purchased a new hybrid from toyota, with zero issues. 10 years in and Tesla still can't figure out how to make a car without these issues b/c they don't give a damn about quality control or customer service.

If lucid didn't have such a long wait list, I would have gone that route instead. I need the range, hence the S, was looking at Porsche, but range is pathetic. I was going to buy the Roadster, at least i didn't blow 200K+ on this type of quality and service.

I will never buy another Tesla again, first and last.
I feel you, its ridiculous on the wait time for fixes. What do you mean by distortion on the windshield?

Reactions: aerodyne
So, I can't change poor Tesla CS, but I can attempt to fix minor things myself. Beats having SvC fail to fix the issue and break something else.

So today, pulled the covers and wheels.

I found:

Misaligned wheel well liner 2 places.

Most liner nuts loose.

3 missing plastic rivets. I guess the dropped them during assy, and no time to pick it up.

Cross threaded screw partially installed from bumper to fender. Said screw broke loose the rivnut. Nasty, no way to replace. I removed the screen, chased and cleaned the threads, and with a vice grip on the nut, drove the screw home.

Attachments

• IMG_20220531_173650182.jpg
    IMG_20220531_173650182.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20220531_185525491.jpg
    IMG_20220531_185525491.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 114
You mess with it under warranty watch them blame you for the problem and potentially other problems not of your doing. It is playing with fire in some capacity, but I don't blame you as that is my concern as well which is why no one touches my other cars and motorcycles. I do everything from building high HP FI motors/trans etc to now having to rely on others due to warranty concerns.

You mess with it under warranty watch them blame you for the problem and potentially other problems not of your doing. It is playing with fire in some capacity, but I don't blame you as that is my concern as well which is why no one touches my other cars and motorcycles. I do everything from building high HP FI motors/trans etc to now having to rely on others due to warranty concerns.

They can try, I've played this game before with service.

Mobile is coming out tommorow, gonna see if I can bum some rivets from him.

Only major finding so far is broken scroll wheel and some paint damage.

Mobile is best. Even if less than competent, if you hand them the parts and hold the flashlight, the job can get done.

Forgot to mention...all external panel gaps look acceptable. Roof is a bit off to the right, so the rubber seal is not seated the same on both sides.

I found out how they are fixing the aft door misalignment. Hammer to fit, paint to hide...

Oops, they forgot the last part...

Attachments

• IMG_20220530_131844469.jpg
    IMG_20220530_131844469.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20220530_131955396.jpg
    IMG_20220530_131955396.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 124
TIL...

Mobile can fix my scroll wheel. Fix is by removing and replacing the yoke, like M3, two screws. For those with buzzing, bad wrap, or perhaps, willing to roll the dice and get the rumored horn button, or a lesser worm, keep that in mind.

Did not have the fender liner rivets. Probably due to so many missing on so many cars.

Do not think my wonky, arthritic looking charge port door could be fixed outside of the SvC.

The best part, said he would make a mobile appt for the scroll wheel! No app required! Amazing what can happen when you can actually talk to someone!

man, just when I thought I covered everything (my initial ticket is 40 items long). ...now I see this hole in the trunk on the driver side (below the latches for releasing the back seats, to the right of the trunk light). Can someone check their refreshed S and see what's supposed to be there?

1654128122223.png

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
man, just when I thought I covered everything (my initial ticket is 40 items long). ...now I see this hole in the trunk on the driver side (below the latches for releasing the back seats, to the right of the trunk light). Can someone check their refreshed S and see what's supposed to be there?

View attachment 811596

I think I am at 20 squawks.

I have the hole, and suspect a plug is missing.

We could all look at the EPC I guess.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0

View attachment 811596
I have a refresh as well (PLAID) mine is Sept 2021 build from last year I have the same hole..

For a moment I thought it was for a manual release of the charge door,but I did not feel any wire inside to pull on..

1654128605513.png

• Informative
Reactions: paulchou
I have a refresh as well (PLAID) mine is Sept 2021 build from last year I have the same hole..

For a moment I thought it was for a manual release of the charge door,but I did not feel any wire inside to pull on..

View attachment 811600

You mean you didn't get the rechargeable flashlight with the 18650 Cell that makes fart sounds when you hold the power button in?

BTW I had 0 Squawks. Well, 1 yelp, I realized after I got home that they had repainted my rear quarter without telling me anything. If they were not so sloppy in clean up I probably never would have known.

You mean you didn't get the rechargeable flashlight with the 18650 Cell that makes fart sounds when you hold the power button in?

BTW I had 0 Squawks. Well, 1 yelp, I realized after I got home that they had repainted my rear quarter without telling me anything. If they were not so sloppy in clean up I probably never would have known.

I have a bunch of compound shoved in the joint between the rear quarter panel and bumper...I'd better have a closer look.

Did you guys ever get this rocker panel issue fixed? Mine that I just picked up has this issue
I've had this escalated pretty much to the top. They've claimed everything is within spec and normal. I eventually dropped it.

The problem is there is not much adjustment that could be performed on the rocker panels. I remember this being an issue on the model 3. They ended up just putting some adhesive around the plastic lock nuts which helped somewhat.

Typical tesla response when they don't take accountability for a problem. I don't have the rocker panel issue but I would be upset if I did and that was the response, given other vehicles don't have this issue. It is clearly a mfg defect.
The AC whistling issue, instead of a proper fix, Tesla decided to just eliminate the ability to turn off the AC on the passenger vent via software. Let's not address the underlying problem, let's mask it. You have a hole in your bumper, no problem, let's put some tape over it, problem solved, no more hole.

It's almost comical what Tesla owners put up with, with this company.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread, but I'm picking my MSP almost 100 miles from home because the local center isn't yet authorized to handle deliveries. What type of leeway is typical if an issue is found after 100 miles have been put on the car?