Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget also, Ambient lights and gaming from the back seat.

You can definitely game in the back seat... on your iPhone/iPad/Steam Deck/Nintendo Switch etc.

Also, I think it's hilarious that Tesla still shows gaming in the back seat on their site. At least they had the decency to remove the references to the swiveling display prior to the first deliveries...

1673738886747.png

^^^ This.

I found the image above from the "Way back machine" showing it before my car was ordered.

I can't seem to find the missing software/hardware thread, so the following new issue I will post here and correct when I find it.

There is no hatch/trunk release as required by the US FVMSS for the 2021+ MS. The EPC shows a cable for the refresh cars, but I cant find it anywhere, and I have crawled inside and looked.

Yes, you can unlatch the rear seats and get out that way, but that option is not allowed in the FVMSS. A three year old kid has to be able to escape.

A side note, my pre refresh car had the release under a plastic cover, but the cover was not illuminated as required IIRC.

I am going to take some action on the ARNR, lighting, rear gaming, and this issue, starting with the SvC. Yes, I have run short of windmills to tilt at.

^^^ This.

I found the image above from the "Way back machine" showing it before my car was ordered.

I can't seem to find the missing software/hardware thread, so the following new issue I will post here and correct when I find it.

There is no hatch/trunk release as required by the US FVMSS for the 2021+ MS. The EPC shows a cable for the refresh cars, but I cant find it anywhere, and I have crawled inside and looked.

Yes, you can unlatch the rear seats and get out that way, but that option is not allowed in the FVMSS. A three year old kid has to be able to escape.

A side note, my pre refresh car had the release under a plastic cover, but the cover was not illuminated as required IIRC.

I am going to take some action on the ARNR, lighting, rear gaming, and this issue, starting with the SvC. Yes, I have run short of windmills to tilt at.
Can’t blame you for any of it. Even a mention of ARNR makes my blood boil.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Here is another one I found when prepping the car for partial PPF.

Below the aft corners of the frunk lid, there is a gaping hole meant for drainage.

On my car on both sides, hole blocked by a piece of cheap looking black plastic wrapped foam.

Said piece has no attachment, but is shaped to fit the aft portion of the fender and serve a a closeout to the door hinge cavity. I shoved it back with a long stick.

I did not take a picture, as I was afraid what else I'd see. One rabbit hole at at a time...

Reactions: hotsoup
Here is another one I found when prepping the car for partial PPF.

Below the aft corners of the frunk lid, there is a gaping hole meant for drainage.

On my car on both sides, hole blocked by a piece of cheap looking black plastic wrapped foam.

Said piece has no attachment, but is shaped to fit the aft portion of the fender and serve a a closeout to the door hinge cavity. I shoved it back with a long stick.

I did not take a picture, as I was afraid what else I'd see. One rabbit hole at at a time...

Yes! The obvious defects people are reporting that weren't addressed on the outside is just the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of defects to these cars "under the skin", and at this point I'm just going to be willfully ignorant about them as I just don't have the time or energy to be going back and forth between SCs. Here's another example to throw into the mix: I'd bet money a lot of folks have loose NVH insulation where the front doors meet the front part of the car (look down inside the car around where the frunk hinge meets the car). No one ever looks inside there...

Yes! The obvious defects people are reporting that weren't addressed on the outside is just the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of defects to these cars "under the skin", and at this point I'm just going to be willfully ignorant about them as I just don't have the time or energy to be going back and forth between SCs. Here's another example to throw into the mix: I'd bet money a lot of folks have loose NVH insulation where the front doors meet the front part of the car (look down inside the car around where the frunk hinge meets the car). No one ever looks inside there...

That example is most likely what I was describing. It looks like NVH padding you would find elsewhere, just unsecured.

If the defects are like the iceberg analogy, with 90% unseen, I really don't have the time for 50+ service appointments.

Maybe it's an inverted iceberg. You see most of the issues and they seem to be of the 'nuisance' variety. We are on our 3&4 Teslas. Dad, sister, and brother all have 3s and Ys. None of us have encountered anything super serious or they didn't take care of responsibly.

My Plaid is 9 months young and wife's YP is just over a year. Could not be happier. Except for lack of tilt screen! :) Missed it by that much (2 weeks).

Reactions: jebinc
Maybe it's an inverted iceberg. You see most of the issues and they seem to be of the 'nuisance' variety. We are on our 3&4 Teslas. Dad, sister, and brother all have 3s and Ys. None of us have encountered anything super serious or they didn't take care of responsibly.

My Plaid is 9 months young and wife's YP is just over a year. Could not be happier. Except for lack of tilt screen! :) Missed it by that much (2 weeks).
My 2019, M3, 2021 MYP were perfect, zero issues. My 2021 MSP, not as lucky - but it isn't a high volume build/model. My 2022 Rivian R1T, is surprising good for such an early start (SN 9950)

Reactions: Ohmster
My 2019, M3, 2021 MYP were perfect, zero issues. My 2021 MSP, not as lucky - but it isn't a high volume build/model. My 2022 Rivian R1T, is surprising good for such an early start (SN 9950)
Ice bergs are not hollow like the car. In that case, based on surface area, I've already seen a great deal, so the analogy may not be quantitatively accurate.

Still not looking forward to a service appt. Hoping I can fix things myself. Found a kindred spirit at Burbank who actually got me parts I need. It's a start.

Ice bergs are not hollow like the car. In that case, based on surface area, I've already seen a great deal, so the analogy may not be quantitatively accurate.

Still not looking forward to a service appt. Hoping I can fix things myself. Found a kindred spirit at Burbank who actually got me parts I need. It's a start.
Sorry, but I didn't make any "iceberg" references.... Maybe you had meant to reply to @Ohmster? 🙃

There are a lot of defects to these cars "under the skin", and at this point I'm just going to be willfully ignorant about them as I just don't have the time or energy to be going back and forth between SCs.

Pretty much my sentiments. The car "drives" fine and there's nothing "major" wrong. I've accepted Tesla just doesn't care. Can't say I'll buy another one. Love the Plaid power and it's a great daily however I'm hard pressed to do something like this again. Speaking of which 3rd mobile visit now for the same issue. The stupid mirror recall. Came by first time, didn't have the glass, came second time, fit the wrong glass (mirror motor can't move mirror much it rubs), third visit should be any minute now. Should be fun...

Reactions: aerodyne
help..... Random massive vibration getting worse as speed increases, unbearable above 50. Service says i have 2 bent wheels(on opposite corners). Nothing is visible from the outside. I drive the same route every day, not a single pothole in my path.... no idea what could have done it. anyone else deal with random bent wheels.

Sorry, but I didn't make any "iceberg" references.... Maybe you had meant to reply to @Ohmster? 🙃
Correct.
Pretty much my sentiments. The car "drives" fine and there's nothing "major" wrong. I've accepted Tesla just doesn't care. Can't say I'll buy another one. Love the Plaid power and it's a great daily however I'm hard pressed to do something like this again. Speaking of which 3rd mobile visit now for the same issue. The stupid mirror recall. Came by first time, didn't have the glass, came second time, fit the wrong glass (mirror motor can't move mirror much it rubs), third visit should be any minute now. Should be fun...
On Mobile Service, sounds familiar. What once was a great idea, is now kinda useless if they don't come with the right parts, or parts at all.

help..... Random massive vibration getting worse as speed increases, unbearable above 50. Service says i have 2 bent wheels(on opposite corners). Nothing is visible from the outside. I drive the same route every day, not a single pothole in my path.... no idea what could have done it. anyone else deal with random bent wheels.
Not sure if the word random applies. Wheels don't spontaneously bend themselves.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and cwanja
Not sure if the word random applies. Wheels don't spontaneously bend themselves.
Greater than zero chance the SvC is just throwing out "Sugar" in the hope @skizzy goes away.

Like when I told them I thought my cameras needed calibration, and they said my windshield was dirty. I had just detailed the car the day before and it was covered overnight in the garage.