Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery experience to hopefully comfort some people...

With touchless you do have time to use the full checklist, but I was too excited and have had 2 deliveries in the past without issues so I winged it. I basically took the checklist (thanks for making it!), cut it down to the issues I knew I would need to document/resolve on the spot, then went from there. Do whatever you need to do to feel safe, no one is pressuring you, just try to make sure you're not slowing it down for other customers. In my case, it was a big parking garage and they texted me to go to a spot, then I had unlimited time.

After a day with it my only notes are:

Real issue (1.5): wrinkles on rear seat; summer tires when I was loosely told all seasons over the phone months ago

Slightly annoying but not much to do (2): couple of scratches that are very faint, I couldn't see them until I washed the car and was actively drying/touching it. Maybe 2-3 that are 1" long, probably deep enough that they can't be buffed out. One was above the driver door handle, the other was on the rear bumper right side. I do have the subtle visible wire in the steering yoke airbag. Definitely not that noticeable except I watched tons of youtube videos calling it out.

To be repaired at service in the future (2): the gasket that the front hood rests on is bizarre, and looks to be partially damaged on the front. The top part of it by the windshield is also a weird design, can't tell if it rucks in or what. In any case it probably doesn't matter, just looks a little dumb and may wear poorly if it's not installed correctly.

Overall: No real issues. Paint looked fine, all the missing items weren't missing on mine (subtrunk cover, magnetic trunk privacy cover, mats). There are water spots on the car so it'll need a but of work, but that's it.

Things to do before delivery: If you want all seasons you should ask them about it now and get it documented. Based on some other threads here it sounds like without something in writing, they won't replace them for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Things to do before delivery: If you want all seasons you should ask them about it now and get it documented. Based on some other threads here it sounds like without something in writing, they won't replace them for you.
@CorporateB Well, this remains to be seen. I took delivery on 8/13 and opened a request with the SC to replace my 19s with All Seasons, free of charge, on 9/17. I get daily updates and they are waiting for direction/approval from the factory. Might be region specific. In my case, I'm in Seattle, which does qualify for the free flaps and PPF on rear door.

Reactions: impastu
I wonder how many people would consider taking that list for inspection on any other mass produced vehicle including Mercedes or Porsche or Audi. No one really inspects a car like that. I just got my Plaid last weekend. Only problem noticed was in the paint only visible after front license plate holder removed. Probably caused by removal process. anything else that comes up can be handled by the service center as they have always been obliging. 3rd model S and still happy.

Reactions: cwanja and impastu
@CorporateB Well, this remains to be seen. I took delivery on 8/13 and opened a request with the SC to replace my 19s with All Seasons, free of charge, on 9/17. I get daily updates and they are waiting for direction/approval from the factory. Might be region specific. In my case, I'm in Seattle, which does qualify for the free flaps and PPF on rear door.
I took delivery in Cali and got the ppf on the rear door, but no flaps. If there were a region that would not qualify for all seasons then it'd be California, but I still would've preferred reliable communication about it or god forbid, an option.

Pretty sure right now it's just random, LR's with 19" delivered to the same area have different tires.

I wonder how many people would consider taking that list for inspection on any other mass produced vehicle including Mercedes or Porsche or Audi. No one really inspects a car like that. I just got my Plaid last weekend. Only problem noticed was in the paint only visible after front license plate holder removed. Probably caused by removal process. anything else that comes up can be handled by the service center as they have always been obliging. 3rd model S and still happy.
Yeah I'm not sure what that's about, I suspect it's just becuase people hear stories about horrendous QA and poor customer service. Generally Tesla has been good to me, but I did have a few clashes with them in the past when they didn't fix stuff promised.

Ex: paint peeled off my front bumper and they promised to replace. I opened up a service appointment monthly and they kept cancelling it saying they'll let me know when it's ready. Eventually when I try again in 6 months it's accepted and I show up. I get there ready to leave, then a service tech calls over a supervisor and starts discussing whether there's bumper damage (it was dirty), if I ever had ppf, a ceramic coat, etc. Eventually they agreed to do it, but it was scenario they created--it had rock chips from the 14 months of driving between when they promised it and when they got around to it. Even though they did come around, I could easily see a different SA or maybe even the same one without their morning coffee just sending me on my way.

Reactions: Ash83 and impastu
Oh boy, I pick my Plaid up at 5pm Pacific today, and can’t wait to see how many of these apply to me! I already know I have the vein/worm…
Hey do you know if Pirelli P Zero are All Season Tires? My SA says my car is at the SC and that it comes with P Zero All Season tires. I am having a hard time believing that a Plaid is being delivered with All Season Tires. I want them to be All Season tires btw so just making sure. What tires did yours come with ?

Hey do you know if Pirelli P Zero are All Season Tires? My SA says my car is at the SC and that it comes with P Zero All Season tires. I am having a hard time believing that a Plaid is being delivered with All Season Tires. I want them to be All Season tires btw so just making sure. What tires did yours come with ?
@umair239 They are summer tires. I have them and have a request in to the SC to swap them out for all seasons.

Oh well. Good thing I have them saying in a text msg that it's an all season tire. Soooo I'll definitely have to have a request in for one. With winter almost here I'm worried if I'll be able to drive around in these. This sucks
@umair239 I hear you… My SC reached out to the factory earlier this week, and today told me I will have an answer on Monday.

Just adding my pick up experience.

Car was absolutely filthy when I came, it rained the night before and it looked like they dumped a bucket of mud on the car. They mostly cleaned it after 2 hours but it was an offsite pick up location in SoCal so they only had spray bottles and microfiber towels. They gave me $200 Tesla store credit to buy floor mats with so I’m not terribly mad.

Besides from that slow experience, car had minimal issues:
* Trunk slightly misaligned on one side
* Very feint scratch in the clear coat about 3” by the charge port (cant
* Tiny 1mm depression in the paint on top of the trunk.
* Hood is slightly misaligned
* Rear quarter trim poking out
* Worm in the yoke but it’s also barely noticeable.
* Passenger side dash trim is popping out a little.

Car will be wrapped in XPEL stealth in a month when my wrap guy is available so I’m not worried about the scratch or ding. Going to be impossible to see pretty much.

By my standards, seats had almost no problems or wrinkles; nothing I could complain about. I’m not going to risk getting something worse.

I’m overall pleasantly surprised compared to other experiences in this thread. Much better than my 3 and Y performance in terms of quality. And mostly forget about problems driving the car.

Attachments

• 1E9F4603-6BD5-4A10-AEF2-F010426E1CB0.jpeg
    1E9F4603-6BD5-4A10-AEF2-F010426E1CB0.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 174
  • 649C91A6-BC06-490A-8512-BE8278B2C046.jpeg
    649C91A6-BC06-490A-8512-BE8278B2C046.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 150
  • D6DF4932-0DCC-4ED0-AEE0-664A70251FDB.jpeg
    D6DF4932-0DCC-4ED0-AEE0-664A70251FDB.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 5E9C8956-F6DE-430A-AC53-F3F5B0EEDF9E.jpeg
    5E9C8956-F6DE-430A-AC53-F3F5B0EEDF9E.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 150
  • 5F0D6E66-EB3A-44B7-9DBD-7E241DAF5E73.jpeg
    5F0D6E66-EB3A-44B7-9DBD-7E241DAF5E73.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 142
  • 3456E0C5-A8EF-4A9B-951D-70B443457AD2.jpeg
    3456E0C5-A8EF-4A9B-951D-70B443457AD2.jpeg
    881.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 371AE318-367B-4914-8783-CAE68094CCE2.jpeg
    371AE318-367B-4914-8783-CAE68094CCE2.jpeg
    478.9 KB · Views: 130
  • D39C32FD-839D-41AD-9953-F75124ED357A.jpeg
    D39C32FD-839D-41AD-9953-F75124ED357A.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Just adding my pick up experience.

Car was absolutely filthy when I came, it rained the night before and it looked like they dumped a bucket of mud on the car. They mostly cleaned it after 2 hours but it was an offsite pick up location in SoCal so they only had spray bottles and microfiber towels. They gave me $200 Tesla store credit to buy floor mats with so I’m not terribly mad.

Besides from that slow experience, car had minimal issues:
* Trunk slightly misaligned on one side
* Very feint scratch in the clear coat about 3” by the charge port (cant
* Tiny 1mm depression in the paint on top of the trunk.
* Hood is slightly misaligned
* Rear quarter trim poking out
* Worm in the yoke but it’s also barely noticeable.
* Passenger side dash trim is popping out a little.

Car will be wrapped in XPEL stealth in a month when my wrap guy is available so I’m not worried about the scratch or ding. Going to be impossible to see pretty much.

By my standards, seats had almost no problems or wrinkles; nothing I could complain about. I’m not going to risk getting something worse.

I’m overall pleasantly surprised compared to other experiences in this thread. Much better than my 3 and Y performance in terms of quality. And mostly forget about problems driving the car.

Sweet! Beige/cream, right? Looks very nice. I almost switched from the white but kids and wife said no. They got some voice in exterior and interior colors. Not on the CF. That was the only option... :)

What's your vin range?

Here's what I sent to my SA.

1. Issues with trim castings causing lights /trim to be out of position.
2. light / handles recessed to far in reveaing inner casting.
3. Yoke worm.
3a. Carpet loose / not seated behind rear passenger seats.

1/3

IMG_3089.jpgIMG_3077X.jpgIMG_3076X.jpgIMG_3113D.jpgIMG_3085D.jpgIMG_3082.jpgIMG_3115.jpgIMG_3114.jpgIMG_3108.jpgIMG_3081.jpg

Last edited: