Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received 12/11:

Some glue residue on front passenger molding on top of door
Black residue on rear seats in places
Trunk cover missing (associate tried to quasi-argue he had never seen a trunk cover on a model S. Supposed to be ordered to get at a later time.

That's it. Panel fitment was PERFECT. Arrived with summer tires. Used the checklist and everything was good!

Red/white/car in fiber..

Received 12/11:

Some glue residue on front passenger molding on top of door
Black residue on rear seats in places
Trunk cover missing (associate tried to quasi-argue he had never seen a trunk cover on a model S. Supposed to be ordered to get at a later time.

That's it. Panel fitment was PERFECT. Arrived with summer tires. Used the checklist and everything was good!

Red/white/car in fiber..
What are you referring to when you say Trunk Cover? Are you talking about the “half shelve” or carpeted mats in the trunk?

Would live some to post pics of all the items (covers) that are supposed to be in the trunk area on the 21/22 sine it seems like the DA sometimes are less straightforward.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
What are you referring to when you say Trunk Cover? Are you talking about the “half shelve” or carpeted mats in the trunk?

Would live some to post pics of all the items (covers) that are supposed to be in the trunk area on the 21/22 sine it seems like the DA sometimes are less straightforward.
I cannot post a picture the second but it's the cover that prevents people from seeing inside the trunk through the rear window. There's a shelf that the cover rests on..

Reactions: Robotpedlr

What is the half shelf? I've heard of people mentioning it, but I haven't seen one yet. Presumably something that covers the hole on the left side of the trunk? My 2016 S didn't have one.

What is the half shelf? I've heard of people mentioning it, but I haven't seen one yet. Presumably something that covers the hole on the left side of the trunk? My 2016 S didn't have one.
I am not sure that is the official name..but I am referring to the shelf that is used as a cover between the floor and window in the cargo area. It has a hinge in the middle and folds up to give more access to the cargo area. I think on the old S it slide into groves to hold it in place and on the refresh it is held in place by magnets.

Last edited:
I am not sure that is the official name..but I am referring to the shelve that is used as a cover between the floor and window in the cargo area. It has a hinge in the middle and folds up to give more access to the cargo area. I think on the old S it slide into groves to hold it in place and on the refresh it is held in place by magnets.
Oh yeah, that's the usual cargo cover. It's listed as the privacy shelf on the list in post #1. I don't know what the bottom item below is, though. I've never seen it.

• Rear trunk privacy shelf
  • Large rear trunk cargo cover
  • Small rear trunk cargo cover (left side)

There are three covers in the trunk:
1. for the little cubby hole on bottom left of trunk
2. for the large sub-trunk area that makes the trunk bottom flat
3. a half shelf folding "privacy cover" / "parcel shelf" that lays on the brackets located behind the back seat headrests

Last edited:
I am not sure that is the official name..but I am referring to the shelf that is used as a cover between the floor and window in the cargo area. It has a hinge in the middle and folds up to give more access to the cargo area. I think on the old S it slide into groves to hold it in place and on the refresh it is held in place by magnets.
Ah, the “parcel shelf”!

Has anyone gotten Tesla to fix misalignment of the interior chrome trim between the door and dash like this?

EA073DA5-1902-4D0B-8EDD-3A017B902585.jpeg

Has anyone gotten Tesla to fix misalignment of the interior chrome trim between the door and dash like this?
I have a service appointment to see if they can fix my misalignment. I went back for the service center the day after I got my car and they said they need to install a clip to lock it down. The top part of the panel is definitely looser than the passenger side panel. Here is a pic of mine.
55BE17F8-347A-4EC8-B78C-85080EB66F5F.jpeg

I have a service appointment to see if they can fix my misalignment. I went back for the service center the day after I got my car and they said they need to install a clip to lock it down. The top part of the panel is definitely looser than the passenger side panel. Here is a pic of mine. View attachment 743937
I have the exact same issue on my passenger side. They didn't do anything on it, said within spec. Among the other issues, this one was a lower priority for me.

Reactions: impastu

View attachment 743867
I pulled mine off and realigned it the best I could. It's still not perfect due to manufacturing. If you try it be careful!!! That trim on the door breaks real easy! Tesla broke mine once already replacing the door panel.

Door Panel Video:

Last edited:
For the new folks, let's summarize:
  • Before taking delivery, sales associates say, "Yeah, that's a problem. Just submit a repair order and we'll take care of it."
  • After taking delivery, repair techs say, "No, that's not a problem. It's within spec, won't fix."
This is why you should never pre-pay for a Tesla without having completed an inspection, both inside and out. Don't accept home delivery, don't buy the "we can't let you inside the car without taking your money first" line.

For the new folks, let's summarize:
  • Before taking delivery, sales associates say, "Yeah, that's a problem. Just submit a repair order and we'll take care of it."
  • After taking delivery, repair techs say, "No, that's not a problem. It's within spec, won't fix."
This is why you should never pre-pay for a Tesla without having completed an inspection, both inside and out. Don't accept home delivery, don't buy the "we can't let you inside the car without taking your money first" line.
Never had that experience. Service has never uttered the words in spec to me. They work on every issue I report.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and tbaud
Took delivery of my White/Blk/19 LR today

Issues at delivery:
1.) Vehicle came with Summer tires despite my SA confirming it shipped from Fremont with All Seasons. I would have refused delivery but it was a 4+ hour drive each way and I was out a hotel room and rental car at that point. I expect Tesla to make this right since I have it in writing.
2.) Missing rear parcel shelf and side floor covers. There also appears to be no rear-floor cover to the sub-storage area either. Pretty sure my old MS had one.
3.) Distorted lower rear-windshield.
4.) Rear center armrest mechanical latch does not appear to be working. I press it, hear a noise, but it does not release.

Delivery experience seemed very chaotic. They even forgot to take my cashiers check. I had to flag someone down.

Overall, the vehicle is a nice improvement over my previous P85D.