Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any thoughts from the community? Am I overthinking this concern about Tesla doing an acceptable job? The entire post delivery inspection problems are something new to me. This is my 3rd Tesla and all previous model 3 and S were perfect and I never had a single issue until this one..
Considerations wafting through my mind:
- You do you! You know best what makes you happy.
- Cars are machines meant to be used, out in the elements. Being obsessed about their appearance and perfection is a dark path.
- It's good when people force Tesla to uphold a high standard.
- This seems really minor to my eye, from the photos.

:)

Considerations wafting through my mind:
- You do you! You know best what makes you happy.
- Cars are machines meant to be used, out in the elements. Being obsessed about their appearance and perfection is a dark path.
- It's good when people force Tesla to uphold a high standard.
- This seems really minor to my eye, from the photos.

:)
Doesn’t hurt to ask them to have a Tesla-certified 3rd party body shop do the work. They’re typically v high quality

Doesn’t hurt to ask them to have a Tesla-certified 3rd party body shop do the work. They’re typically v high quality
For what its worth, the Tesla-Certified body shop near me have ex-Tesla Service center employees and technicians that have worked on Tesla vehicles long before there were official service centers in the area. In fact Tesla poached some of them over to staff their new body repair / collision center. In some cases they could be better than Tesla Service.

Reactions: impastu
Thanks to everybody who helped put together the checklist, I used it when I picked up my car and it certainly helped me stay focused despite the overwhelming "gee whiz" factor.

May I suggest that in Section C item 6 a reference to checking the subwoofer be added? I didn't think to check it until I saw a forum post a few days after my pickup, and sure enough the slider didn't/doesn't do a darned thing in my car. (Service appointment scheduled tomorrow.)

Reactions: bhzmark and impastu
So I've been doing daily drives to rack up some miles and get a good FSD score. It's really helped me get to know the car, and some of its foibles -- including, O Ye Bane of Banes -- rattles. Now, I'm a pretty forgiving person when it comes to car cosmetics. But rattles: rattles I cannot abide.

Early on I found that taping the latches, while helpful, wasn't enough to make my car sufficiently quiet. I noticed the backseats have some areas where plastic seemed to rub on plastic, and suspected this might be part of the problem.

So I broke out my trusty roll of gaffer's tape and applied some to both ends of each seat, plus one of the sides where the two seats meet in the middle. This has seemingly done the trick. Car was very close to dead quiet even over a stretch of bumpy road the last couple days.

Photos showing where I applied the tape, in case anyone is interested...

(1) Along the interface where the 60/40 seats meet:
IMG_4551.jpg

(2) Interface where the edge of each seat meets the car:
IMG_4553.jpg

Finally, note this was a semi-experimental application, so it's not nice and tidy, nor full-length in all cases. I may replace it, or I might leave well enough alone. :)

May I suggest that in Section C item 6 a reference to checking the subwoofer be added? I didn't think to check it until I saw a forum post a few days after my pickup, and sure enough the slider didn't/doesn't do a darned thing in my car. (Service appointment scheduled tomorrow.)
Sure, I could add that item. Isn’t it a software issue though? I read in other threads that software updates have resolved this. Is there a hardware problem I may not be aware of?

Reactions: impastu
Sure, I could add that item. Isn’t it a software issue though? I read in other threads that software updates have resolved this. Is there a hardware problem I may not be aware of?
I saw those reports, that's why I waited for two software updates, wheel-rebooted the car, etc. But no joy - the control is there, it just makes no difference at all in the sound. All the other EQ sliders do.

I read one report where the SC took everything apart and then it started working, the theory being that a connection wasn't working but did after being reseated. But my search-fu is weak and I can't find it now. :(

my amp wasn’t working, and so my sub and other speakers weren’t working and only a few front speakers powered by the headunit (or whatever) were working. I waited for some update to fix it and they never did. A mobile tech eventually fixed by checking all connections and unplugging and reconnecting a bunch of connections and that fixed it.

• Helpful
Reactions: smjones
Thank you for this, I particularly like the checklist of loose items to look for during delivery. Drive experience issues are great too, but are we given the chance to drive during vehicle acceptance inspection? What would make the primary list a heck of a lot more useful is if we had some info about how prevalent the specific issues are. A giant list of all the things that even a single person had a problem with is...less so. It'd be nice to know where the manufacturing process is specifically flawed as opposed to the one-offs. No disrespect intended - just a suggestion. Maybe a "top ten most common" subsection right up front?

I saw those reports, that's why I waited for two software updates, wheel-rebooted the car, etc. But no joy - the control is there, it just makes no difference at all in the sound. All the other EQ sliders do.

I read one report where the SC took everything apart and then it started working, the theory being that a connection wasn't working but did after being reseated. But my search-fu is weak and I can't find it now. :(

my amp wasn’t working, and so my sub and other speakers weren’t working and only a few front speakers powered by the headunit (or whatever) were working. I waited for some update to fix it and they never did. A mobile tech eventually fixed by checking all connections and unplugging and reconnecting a bunch of connections and that fixed it.

Thanks for the clarification guys, I added the sub slider item to the list in my OP.

Reactions: smjones
Anyone aware of a fix for the driver side mirror shaking? SC said they can’t replicate, but the driver side mirror shakes vigorously at almost all speeds.

Mine vibrates too. SC ignored it.
@jebinc @omarsultan both of your drivers side mirrors had this right? Any fix? I think Omar had them replaced twice and the shaking mirror is still there?

Mine has it. Yet to really figure out if I want to fix it or not. Figure it is a bad part design. Which is odd, since I do not think the mirrors changed.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezla041 and jebinc
@jebinc @omarsultan both of your drivers side mirrors had this right? Any fix? I think Omar had them replaced twice and the shaking mirror is still there?

Mine has it. Yet to really figure out if I want to fix it or not. Figure it is a bad part design. Which is odd, since I do not think the mirrors changed.
@cwanja I put a blind spot mirror on the putter edge to act as a counterweight. Serves two purposes!

I didn't have the vibration issue--both my mirrors were replaced because they would not auto-tilt properly (did not resolve the issue).

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja and jebinc
Everything is to spec lol 😂

I got a response to my long winded email. From my original SA that said he was digging in and he'd call me. He left a VM for me that day (I missed it as I was at dinner). He sounded very apologetic. I was surprised to get a response anyways.

He said (on Sat) that he'd follow up with the service center for me and try to get to the bottom of it. He'd call me back. Today, nada again. At least I got something more than a we don't have an ETA. Lol.

One day "The Wait" will be back in my garage. Just setup to pay my first payment on it. At least it's keeping it's miles down haha.

I just searched this thread but came up empty handed. I have read some places about windows not sealing properly and creating wind noise at speed. I have some wind noise on the passenger side that only appears at interstate speeds. I don't see any obvious problems with the gaskets around the door windows. Anyone else experiencing this/have a fix?

I just searched this thread but came up empty handed. I have read some places about windows not sealing properly and creating wind noise at speed. I have some wind noise on the passenger side that only appears at interstate speeds. I don't see any obvious problems with the gaskets around the door windows. Anyone else experiencing this/have a fix?
The little triangular window between the body and actual passenger window could be the culprit. Several people have reported wind noise stemming from there.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc