Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That video is cool. Perhaps you have self-presenting door actuators from a Model X in the one door!
I wish! Kinda like that though. Except last night it wouldn't close. Had to leave the car with the door open all night. Finally in the AM it would only do it if the handles presented after being closed. Now that handle is dead, service disconnected it till a new one comes in.

Reactions: Ormond
So annoying. So my door handle is temporarily disconnected now by service. They have to order a new door handle and wiring harness to resolve. Recalibration didn't work. So now I just have to crawl through my passenger door to open the driver door. Mobile service appt is for March 22. But I'm sure it'll get pushed back for the standard "parts haven't arrived yet" ... Takes all the fun outta this car for sure.

@doubleshot Misery loves company? Well, mine is getting a new door handle as well, for a third time…. Passenger door. What a PoS!

Reactions: doubleshot
@doubleshot Misery loves company? Well, mine is getting a new door handle as well, for a third time…. Passenger door. What a PoS!
This will be #2 for me. But in good news. @N2itive lowering links are on their way today. Woot.

You guys (and the stock market) are scaring me away from buying a MSLR. Maybe I should have ordered another MY or a M3 and save some money.
Honestly. It's a *sugar* show when it goes wrong. But most people have fine experiences. Sucks when you walk in and the service people seem to recognize your car lol. But if you look at how short the refresh issues thread is compared to those complaining about the wait. You can see it's not as bad ... But only people with issues are vocal. Most with positives post once and disappear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220311-213538.png
    Screenshot_20220311-213538.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 209
This will be #2 for me. But in good news. @N2itive lowering links are on their way today. Woot.

Honestly. It's a *sugar* show when it goes wrong. But most people have fine experiences. Sucks when you walk in and the service people seem to recognize your car lol. But if you look at how short the refresh issues thread is compared to those complaining about the wait. You can see it's not as bad ... But only people with issues are vocal. Most with positives post once and disappear.
@doubleshot Remind me again… do you have a vibrating car?

Took my MSLR delivery today. Found several minor issues. Most of them I can bare with. Two major issues which bother me are shown below.
Pic1 is the huge gap between left rear fender and tail light. If it's installed correctly it should look like pic 2(right side). 2nd issue is a big gap on the left rear rocker panel. How likely will Tesla be able to do something about these? Or they will just say this is within the spec? Appointment is already scheduled but the earliest time available is 4/13. Before that day comes, I want to get some ideas of if these can be fixed based on others' experiences.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: Cyb_
Took my MSLR delivery today. Found several minor issues. Most of them I can bare with. Two major issues which bother me are shown below.
Pic1 is the huge gap between left rear fender and tail light. If it's installed correctly it should look like pic 2(right side). 2nd issue is a big gap on the left rear rocker panel. How likely will Tesla be able to do something about these? Or they will just say this is within the spec? Appointment is already scheduled but the earliest time available is 4/13. Before that day comes, I want to get some ideas of if these can be fixed based on others' experiences.
I learned to ignore those minor cosmetic issues. If the car runs, no warning signal, I am happy. This is my 3rd Tesla. Everyone had some issues. I hate to say if we want great quality, buy Japanese. What bugs me is over years of complaints from owners, Tesla did not seem to care. As long as people are buying them, they have no reason to improve until the Chinese electric cars come and take over the market.

Reactions: Blue Stuff
View attachment 773435
Has anyone else had damage to the steering wheel? Feel like it's super easy to scratch, I believe it happened at the detail shop, but it's alarming how easily it happened and what appears to be such a thin layer. I'm going to setup a mobile tech visit, I'm hoping they'll consider this defective material, its really crazy considering cost of this vehicle...
Providing an update. Tesla agreed to replace the steering wheel without any fuss. In the past month the material has further peeled off - I am quite shocked by the low quality material on the steering wheel. I am very concerned how this will hold up over time. I have started adjusting the wheel as I leave the car to be upside down to allow for more room to exit the vehicle. I'm neither a small or gigantic person, but tall enough and chunky enough that getting in with wheel all the way out and at my desired height makes it near impossible to enter/leave without touching the wheel in a neutral straight forward position.

I'd love to see Tesla implement a mode to retract the wheel when in park and present when you press your foot on the break. Would be simple and allow for a much more comfortable experience in the cabin while parked. Just my opinion, I can also see draw back of having buttons much further away if you don't have long arms although should be accounted for by sitting position.

Providing an update. Tesla agreed to replace the steering wheel without any fuss. In the past month the material has further peeled off - I am quite shocked by the low quality material on the steering wheel. I am very concerned how this will hold up over time. I have started adjusting the wheel as I leave the car to be upside down to allow for more room to exit the vehicle. I'm neither a small or gigantic person, but tall enough and chunky enough that getting in with wheel all the way out and at my desired height makes it near impossible to enter/leave without touching the wheel in a neutral straight forward position.

I'd love to see Tesla implement a mode to retract the wheel when in park and present when you press your foot on the break. Would be simple and allow for a much more comfortable experience in the cabin while parked. Just my opinion, I can also see draw back of having buttons much further away if you don't have long arms although should be accounted for by sitting position.
Set and enable ‘Easy Entry’.

View attachment 773435
Has anyone else had damage to the steering wheel? Feel like it's super easy to scratch, I believe it happened at the detail shop, but it's alarming how easily it happened and what appears to be such a thin layer. I'm going to setup a mobile tech visit, I'm hoping they'll consider this defective material, its really crazy considering cost of this vehicle...

Yep. Mine's worse than that... I wear a pocket knife in my right pocket and have snagged the yoke a few times... It's the square design, makes it a tighter squeeze to get into the vehicle... Our Tesla Service Center has a leather person who was able to fix it pretty nicely, but I've since messed it up again... It is possible to remedy if you need to.

Side view mirror vibration update (posted this update here in a separate thread, but wanted to get it into the wiki as well since we're all following everyone's sage of fit & finish issues...):

I just got back my 2021 refresh Model S Long Range that presented the side view mirror vibration issue on the driver's-side sideview mirror from day 1 (June 29, 2021). I mentioned it on many visits and was told things like it was a "known issue" and that the "engineering team is working on a fix," etc. This week they agreed to replace the entire mirror & housing (it's a complete part, can't really just replace the glass).

New part does not have vibrating issue everyone is describing - so it is possible to get a fix!

Only thing is, and I noticed this on the first drive bc it was kinda weird - the glass has been updated since last year and is a different perspective of sorts, kind of more wide angle, which I'm not sure I like over the first version ugh. So it feels like I've traded the jiggle for a weird wide angle perspective, but whatevs I guess.

This was one of the last of my many fit & finish issues with the vehicle. Jus lettin' ya'll know about this (semi) win, good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
Side view mirror vibration update (posted this update here in a separate thread, but wanted to get it into the wiki as well since we're all following everyone's sage of fit & finish issues...):

I just got back my 2021 refresh Model S Long Range that presented the side view mirror vibration issue on the driver's-side sideview mirror from day 1 (June 29, 2021). I mentioned it on many visits and was told things like it was a "known issue" and that the "engineering team is working on a fix," etc. This week they agreed to replace the entire mirror & housing (it's a complete part, can't really just replace the glass).

New part does not have vibrating issue everyone is describing - so it is possible to get a fix!

Only thing is, and I noticed this on the first drive bc it was kinda weird - the glass has been updated since last year and is a different perspective of sorts, kind of more wide angle, which I'm not sure I like over the first version ugh. So it feels like I've traded the jiggle for a weird wide angle perspective, but whatevs I guess.

This was one of the last of my many fit & finish issues with the vehicle. Jus lettin' ya'll know about this (semi) win, good luck!
Yeah, I wouldn’t want the “lensing” a wide angle mirror would bring. To solve the vibration issue, I mounted a counterweight on the outer/upper corner (a small blind spot mirror).

• Helpful
Reactions: nilesborg