Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I wouldn’t want the “lensing” a wide angle mirror would bring. To solve the vibration issue, I mounted a counterweight on the outer/upper corner (a small blind spot mirror).
Can you share a link of the one your purchased and where you placed it? I’ve had my Driver Mirror replaced a few times and would rather just do this DIY fix if possible.

Thanks!

Can you share a link of the one your purchased and where you placed it? I’ve had my Driver Mirror replaced a few times and would rather just do this DIY fix if possible.

Thanks!
@moose_tm3 I placed it on the upper/outer corner of the drivers mirror. I will have to find the TMC post from the member that pointed me to the mirror. It’s been a while since I purchased it, so will post more later.

Edit: Nexgen. This was the thread. If I were to do it again, I would go frameless.

Last edited:
Reactions: moose_tm3
This has happened a few times now. This one is by far the most persistent. Now it's stuck somewhere far far away. The GPS isn't updating. Was kinda crazy when it stopped working right it was in FSD more on a highway. It started getting over all the lanes and I finally figured out the dot wasn't in the right spot
Something def not in the right spot...
PXL_20220326_155904261.MP.jpg

Went in for delivery day service issues (been moving around since February, delivered end of November).

Of note:
  • Tech said there is a new striker or seat latch part that should resolve the rattle. As opposed to tape. Will update once I know more.
  • Frunk liner overlapping the fenders on one side - they said the fix is typically to pull the fender back. I told them that sounded like a horrible idea and it will just create uneven gaps. So I am wondering if they just open the fender, push the paneling in and push the fender back in.
More to come.

Went in for delivery day service issues (been moving around since February, delivered end of November).

Of note:
  • Tech said there is a new striker or seat latch part that should resolve the rattle. As opposed to tape. Will update once I know more.
  • Frunk liner overlapping the fenders on one side - they said the fix is typically to pull the fender back. I told them that sounded like a horrible idea and it will just create uneven gaps. So I am wondering if they just open the fender, push the paneling in and push the fender back in.
More to come.
Welp.
  • Rear seat rattle is still faintly there. Not sure if I want to fight it as it is about 90 to 95% gone. Have to really be listening for it. They did not replace the latch or striker - invoice states "adjusted left rear back striker to better fit to latch".
  • Frunk liner is fixed, but it really just looks like they shoved it down the gap between the hood and fender. It looks better, but not ideal. Again, not sure it is worth fighting Tesla on it.
  • (one of two things I did not mention above) passenger foot well lights they did absolutely nothing. Or if they did anything, the made the drivers side worse in an attempt to have the drivers side match the passenger side - e.g. no footwell lighting. Going to fight them on this since I have photos of what it should be like.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc
  • (one of two things I did not mention above) passenger foot well lights they did absolutely nothing. Or if they did anything, the made the drivers side worse in an attempt to have the drivers side match the passenger side - e.g. no footwell lighting. Going to fight them on this since I have photos of what it should be like.
They are redressing the footwell light in a few weeks (upcoming travel for me). Thanks to @impastu previous photos.

This just speaks to this community and lack of due diligence from Tesla. The fact that we have to poll other members to and "prove" what is right is frustrating. But also par for the course for Tesla.

They are redressing the footwell light in a few weeks (upcoming travel for me). Thanks to @impastu previous photos.

This just speaks to this community and lack of due diligence from Tesla. The fact that we have to poll other members to and "prove" what is right is frustrating. But also par for the course for Tesla.

New definition of an oxymoron:

"Tesla Service"

On the older cars, internal lights sucked. I replaced them all with Abstract Ocean lights and are very happy with them.

Reactions: cwanja and jebinc
I took delivery of my new MS on January 31, 2022. I did a pretty thorough (or so I thought) pre-delivery inspection and I was happy that the only issues I found were a misaligned rear hatch and some minor trim alignment issues. I was warned by the delivery agent that any paint issues such as scratches and chips must be found and reported within 24 hours of delivery. So I spent a little more time on that.

Last weekend I waxed the car for the first time. While I was rubbing out the front hood, I noticed that on the left front section there was a ridge that ran from the left edge to the raised area of the hood. The ridge is very perceptible when you run your hand over it, but it is almost impossible to see unless you focus on the area and then look at it from several different angles. It is more noticeable when in very bright sunlight. Now that I know it's there, I see it much more often. I have attached a photo, but I was unable to take a shot where the ridge is visible, but I circled the area to show where it can be found.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the assembly robot manhandled the hood during assembly.

I requested a service appointment and today someone from the service center called me. The first thing he asked was, did I report it within 24 hours of delivery. I explained that I was told the 24-hour 'rule' applied to paint damage and this was an incidence of panel damage. I mentioned that the damage is very hard to see but very easy to feel. He told me that because I was reporting after the 24 hour period, it would require special permission to approve any repair.

Has anyone heard of similar damage to the hood? Because of the automation used during assembly, I assume that other vehicles manufactured around the same time might have been similarly affected. Also looking for any ideas about how to explain this issue to the service center personnel so that they will take appropriate ownership. The vibe I got from the conversation with the service center guy leaves me concerned that they will try to deny it despite the lack of any other reasonable explanation beyond a manufacturing defect.

Attachments

• Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 124
I took delivery of my new MS on January 31, 2022. I did a pretty thorough (or so I thought) pre-delivery inspection and I was happy that the only issues I found were a misaligned rear hatch and some minor trim alignment issues. I was warned by the delivery agent that any paint issues such as scratches and chips must be found and reported within 24 hours of delivery. So I spent a little more time on that.

Last weekend I waxed the car for the first time. While I was rubbing out the front hood, I noticed that on the left front section there was a ridge that ran from the left edge to the raised area of the hood. The ridge is very perceptible when you run your hand over it, but it is almost impossible to see unless you focus on the area and then look at it from several different angles. It is more noticeable when in very bright sunlight. Now that I know it's there, I see it much more often. I have attached a photo, but I was unable to take a shot where the ridge is visible, but I circled the area to show where it can be found.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the assembly robot manhandled the hood during assembly.

I requested a service appointment and today someone from the service center called me. The first thing he asked was, did I report it within 24 hours of delivery. I explained that I was told the 24-hour 'rule' applied to paint damage and this was an incidence of panel damage. I mentioned that the damage is very hard to see but very easy to feel. He told me that because I was reporting after the 24 hour period, it would require special permission to approve any repair.

Has anyone heard of similar damage to the hood? Because of the automation used during assembly, I assume that other vehicles manufactured around the same time might have been similarly affected. Also looking for any ideas about how to explain this issue to the service center personnel so that they will take appropriate ownership. The vibe I got from the conversation with the service center guy leaves me concerned that they will try to deny it despite the lack of any other reasonable explanation beyond a manufacturing defect.
do you have pre picture of the car before you received it ?

I wish I actually read this thread before I took delivery..

I have 6 panels being touched up now because of various paint imperfections. From wrinkling in the paint, missing spots, paint drops. Things that aren’t easy to pick up on delivery unless you really look at the car inch by inch. I only found out because I got the car detailed. Even found a minor dent on my wheel opposite of the door stem.

Even has a creak and squeal when I drive the car on a cold day….found it behind the main display.

My door panel was so close to the driver door, I was hearing this creaking noise every time I opened the door. I thought it was a lube issue with the hinge , it was actually the front door rubbing against the fender every time I opened the door. Only happens on cold days as well. It’s literally a mm off.

I’m preaching to the choir, but I knew that I was expecting some work done after delivery. Didn’t expect this much! Even my service advisor said normally it’s just one area that needs work, but mine practically the entire car.

Love the car, but delivery and quality has a lot to be desired for. I finally was able to get an appointment a month after delivery and let’s see if they really will fix these issues. I’m not sure how some of the issues I found can be found within the 100 miles since they were temperature dependent.

Reactions: af88
I finally accepted delivery but I went through a checklist before accepting it and found at least two dozen problems, on the first day of driving and I found some more problems so curious to see how they resolve them. No way they can resolve them all in the same service visit. They have to replace the front rear glass as well due to the distortion. Lots of issues for a 100k car it is inexcusable but this is Tesla in a nutshell

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc