Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d prefer if they didn’t wash my car lol. They’re the worst though. This appointment has legit been rescheduled about 7-8 times now. One time I showed up to drop off the car, just to pick it up the next day because they didn’t have the parts available. Why even have me drop it off if you don’t have the parts lol.
Yup. Usually a 2 service minimum. One visit to look at the car and verify what I already told them in the app, then they will actually order the parts, and then attempt to fix it on the second service. Then the reality is that they will break something during the second service, and have to order more parts, then you'll have to come back for a third visit. On the third visit they'll fix that thing, then break something else.... This is how I'm asymptotically approaching having a fully-functional and cosmetically-normal car after six visits.

Yup. Usually a 2 service minimum. One visit to look at the car and verify what I already told them in the app, then they will actually order the parts, and then attempt to fix it on the second service. Then the reality is that they will break something during the second service, and have to order more parts, then you'll have to come back for a third visit. On the third visit they'll fix that thing, then break something else.... This is how I'm asymptotically approaching having a fully-functional and cosmetically-normal car after six visits.
3EDCB30F-95E0-4EF6-8AD2-3A9DDCF9BA7E.png

Six you say? I should be almost done soon then!! Lmao. Cancelled are the appointments where they took my car, had it for 4-5 days and it didn’t move in the parking lot, and nothing was done. I brought back their ICE rental and took my car back, advising them to stop wasting my time and let me know when to bring the car whenever they’re actually ready to work on it. That would yield in another appointment being scheduled…. And the game goes on.

View attachment 849588
Six you say? I should be almost done soon then!! Lmao. Cancelled are the appointments where they took my car, had it for 4-5 days and it didn’t move in the parking lot, and nothing was done. I brought back their ICE rental and took my car back, advising them to stop wasting my time and let me know when to bring the car whenever they’re actually ready to work on it. That would yield in another appointment being scheduled…. And the game goes on.

Well, I'm not anywhere near done either... So yeah.

Three major things left.
1. New center console for working lights / not damaged from previous install
2. Fix the squeak in my driver's front suspension (They can't seem to find a cause / don't want to fix).
3. Fix the 40-50 mph vibrations from the front half shafts. There's no fix yet for this.

I’d prefer if they didn’t wash my car lol. They’re the worst though. This appointment has legit been rescheduled about 7-8 times now. One time I showed up to drop off the car, just to pick it up the next day because they didn’t have the parts available. Why even have me drop it off if you don’t have the parts lol.
I had similar experience recently. First Mobile Service got upgraded to SC visit. Dropped off the car early morning. The car was not touch until the following day midday. Service complete estimate moved to the day after. Day 3, message saying Parts Hold. Service completion moved to a week later. Go get a rental. Pickup rental, hours later, message received. Parts found, car should complete in a couple hours. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful I got the car back in 3 days. I still remember seeing the line of Tesla's parked along the street outside a SC and dust was so thick that I could not see inside. All waiting for service (parts).

The do try to source the parts from nearby SC. They would rather not have you car because they have to pay you Uber voucher daily or a rental.

Today was delivery day for my model S plaid. Initially when I went in I was told they had noticed issues with the front bumper but luckily they had a new painted one on hand they would be replacing it. I was given a demo vehicle for a couple of hours. When I came back they said a rattling was noted in the front bumper, they spent another 45 mins locating the loose clip. When they finally rolled the car out for me to see the first time I noticed paint/polish issues that they were able to buff out nicely. The rear bumper has a small black mark on it. The carbon fiber panel that covers the center console storage has a whole line of wear on it. There is a piece of plastic sticking out from the vent that they trimmed back some. This is just from spending 15 mins with it.

I refused delivery, but when i was taking a lyft back home they called and said they would give me $6800 off along with free NEMA charger.

Now im just really confused what to do... All the issues are fixable per them. Am I just being "extra" and all cars will have some issues? Are the defects and the fixes going cause issues further down the line? Why are they offering this discount all of the sudden after I left? Any advice or opinions?

Today was delivery day for my model S plaid. Initially when I went in I was told they had noticed issues with the front bumper but luckily they had a new painted one on hand they would be replacing it. I was given a demo vehicle for a couple of hours. When I came back they said a rattling was noted in the front bumper, they spent another 45 mins locating the loose clip. When they finally rolled the car out for me to see the first time I noticed paint/polish issues that they were able to buff out nicely. The rear bumper has a small black mark on it. The carbon fiber panel that covers the center console storage has a whole line of wear on it. There is a piece of plastic sticking out from the vent that they trimmed back some. This is just from spending 15 mins with it.

I refused delivery, but when i was taking a lyft back home they called and said they would give me $6800 off along with free NEMA charger.

Now im just really confused what to do... All the issues are fixable per them. Am I just being "extra" and all cars will have some issues? Are the defects and the fixes going cause issues further down the line? Why are they offering this discount all of the sudden after I left? Any advice or opinions?
7K off is a sweeeeeeeeeeet deal. Especially if the issues are minor cosmetic fixes. I was once ready to sign the papers on a new S Class. At the last minute, the paper work said it had 140 miles on it. I refused to move forward because that is a lot for a "new" car. They said that it was driven from SanDiego location which was over 100 miles away. In any event, they offered me a ton to close the deal and I accepted. If it were me, I would take it in a heart beat.

How old is it? Ask for the build date. The later ones do have more things fixed, like the buzzing yoke, new headlamps and tail lamps, etc. They all still have the vibrating half shafts, and there's no fix for that.

No, not being "Extra" Run away from this VIN.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
The buzzing yoke was fixed for everyone in a software update a while back, thankfully.
Interesting. It wasn't fixed for me until they replaced my yoke earlier this year. It got a little bit quieter with an update, and a few updates it went away entirely for a day or two, but the buzzing kept coming back. But I suspected it could be fixed in software.

Either way, the later hardware revision seems to have eliminated the buzzing and most of the rattling my earlier mf452 yoke had. 👍

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Interesting. It wasn't fixed for me until they replaced my yoke earlier this year. It got a little bit quieter with an update, and a few updates it went away entirely for a day or two, but the buzzing kept coming back. But I suspected it could be fixed in software.

Either way, the later hardware revision seems to have eliminated the buzzing and most of the rattling my earlier mf452 yoke had. 👍
Interesting. As far as I had been aware the buzzing was fixed for everyone’s yoke some months back.

Interesting. As far as I had been aware the buzzing was fixed for everyone’s yoke some months back.
I still had it as of 6/30/22 when they replaced my yoke. Don't know past then.

The Yoke buzz was temporarily fixed after the 2022.12.1 and 2022.12.3.1 updates, but then it returns after 1-2 days. I still had the buzz on 2022.12.3.20 as well. But, it's possible it was fixed in a later update. I was on an FSD beta.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Speaking of fixes, fixed the buckled rear door seals at the upper front corners.

Just used a double layer of 3M Scotch mount double sided foam tape (Similar to that used thoughout the MS) inside the buckled flange.

Attachments

• 16630962745816694728060287011940.jpg
    16630962745816694728060287011940.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 129
Here is a delivery issue I just noticed. in the center console, the cupholder assy will not retract and stay locked. pretty noisy as well.

A workaround for me is to pull the left side of the cupholder assy back, then it locks.

Another issue is after the .2 update that there is a high pitched whine whenever the car is awake.

perhaps we need a thread for post delivery refresh s issues? I cant seem to find one.

Another issue is after the .2 update that there is a high pitched whine whenever the car is awake.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
I took delivery of my car 7 months ago. But only today I realized that there is no cargo cover to cover the suit cases. had them in my both previous Model S cars. Are we not supposed to get one? Is it too late for Tesla to send me one? Thx