Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Megacharger costs and infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to do a back of the envelope cost for an on-site Megacharger and I realized I don't know enough about electrical infrastructure. Tesla has announced its first V3 and said in 2017 that the Tesla Semi could go anywhere in the US. The rough number talked about on the forums is 1MW per Semi stall charging. This got me thinking, how much land and how much power infrastructure would be required for a "steady" stream of semis.

I am used to "Low Voltage" being 5V but apparently when talking power distribution, it's less than 1KV. There are (apparently) all sorts of tradeoffs for infrastructure, equipment, and space requirements between Low Voltage(LV) and Medium Voltage(MV). Additionally, the cables are water cooled. Is that an additional 1, 10, 20, 20+kW per Semi station?

If we're talking 0 to 5 Semis charging at a time, what kind of setbacks and electrical infrastructure would be needed?

Is there some point where a step up (literally or figuratively) in infrastructure would be needed?

Thank you for your time.

I fully acknowledge that this thread does not consider the cost of aggregate and foundation, zoning issues, permitting, rebates, credits, Energy Storage Systems, and more.

I suspect that Tesla will be using existing truck stops. Many already have power at parking places, but no where near enough. Truck stops have many additional services, such as showers that make them a good location.
They will indeed need more power, but it just like a new commercial building.

HPCCV

And the organization itself. They are pushing open standards and multi party collaboration, pretty typical standards setting stuff. The only catch is they are VW and BMW folks...not sure I'd do much with them if I were Tesla but maybe it is required. If you don't see Volvo Toyota or the big Chinese Electric bus folks...you don't have some of the most important players in the bus/truck world. Wonder why?

Most of the larger truck stops can refuel 5 to 15 semis or more at a time I would think you would need the capability of processing at least 3 trucks at a time if not more.
The larger stops can do 20+ at a time (to the tune of 200 gallons a pop). It is a very small station that can only do 5 at a time. However those are high speed pumps, just a few mins for the 200 gallons. For electric I'd think they'd want a few charging stations to start and then the ability to just extend them across the lot so you could eventually have 50 charging stations. The operators will sleep while charging so they are not going to want to move trucks in 30 mins, they'll leave parked for 4 hours. Just the life of a truck driver.

The larger stops can do 20+ at a time (to the tune of 200 gallons a pop). It is a very small station that can only do 5 at a time. However those are high speed pumps, just a few mins for the 200 gallons. For electric I'd think they'd want a few charging stations to start and then the ability to just extend them across the lot so you could eventually have 50 charging stations. The operators will sleep while charging so they are not going to want to move trucks in 30 mins, they'll leave parked for 4 hours. Just the life of a truck driver.
And what will they do after 4 hours?