TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MEL-ADL Supercharger route

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by lennier, Aug 21, 2016.

1. lennier

lennier Member

Being optimistic, should we have a sticky thread for any info that comes to hand about this presumed upcoming supercharger route? I couldn't see one existing already or did I miss it?

2. Homer

Homer Member

Given Tesla hasn't yet delivered SYD-BNE, I for one would hate to be staring at this as a sticky thread for the next couple of years with nothing going on in it...

• Funny x 1
  3. ColinA

ColinA Member

I agree with Homer... until it's on the Tesla radar, as indicated by it showing up on their proposed supercharger map, there is really no point as it would be nothing more than idle speculation.

4. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I've watched this thread, and when there is something concrete to report I'll consider making it sticky.

5. Chuq

Chuq Member

#5 Chuq, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    I think the closest thing would be this, found by @Daemon

https://www.tatiara.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/minutesAgendas/20160119.pdf

Which suggests Tesla is looking at Keith, SA. The document suggests it will be the only station "between Adelaide and Horsham" implying that these two are also planned locations.

As well as on the MEL-ADL route, Keith is close to the half way mark between Adelaide and Mt Gambier (445 km total)

Edit: Totally missed this! Closed 3 days ago! http://www.tatiara.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/20150826%20Public%20Cons%20Community%20Land-1.pdf

6. Chuq

Chuq Member

7. Chuq

Chuq Member

From the latest Tesla Owners Club of Australia newsletter:
    I don't know if this is based purely on the knowledge of Tesla meeting with the Keith local council, or if more details have been revealed to TOCA people... @Jude / @ColinA ?

8. mhh

mhh Member

I can't wait. This is exciting!

9. BenT

BenT Member

I met a councilor from an inner suburban Adelaide local council who would like to see a supercharger in his council restaurant district. He thought his council would be open to lobbying by loc Tesla drivers. Has anyone tried lobbying their local council? Is there any point or do we think tesla would have already made a decision on location of a supercharger in Adelaide?

10. wpapua

wpapua Member

I would guess the Wodonga SC would be an instance of Tesla 'talking' to local government, and perhaps Goulburn also ?

11. Chuq

Chuq Member

My guess would be that initially they'd be looking to co-locate a supercharger with a showroom and/or service centre. But that is only a guess. Tesla are always looking to expand their destination charger coverage though.

12. Chuq

Chuq Member

Minor update on Keith..
    Agenda for tonight's council meeting notes:
    http://www.tatiara.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/minutesAgendas/20160913-1.pdf
    Of course Tesla is responsible for almost all SC sites (there are very few exceptions).
    It appears the mentioned report was submitted to council tonight as well. Might be some news soon.

13. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

So not too shabby a location.
    The Keith Bakery is open from 5AM Monday to Saturday, the Henry and Rose from 9 to 4:30 and 3PM on weekends and outside that time the IGA is open until 6 PM and midnight on the weekends.

14. lennier

lennier Member

Yeah looks like a great location (if somewhat ironically named :) ).

15. Chuq

Chuq Member

I was trying to work out what was unusual about the name "Keith", then I realised you probably meant "Heritage Street" :)

BTW - from browsing the Tatiara District Council website, I found that the town of Keith has a group called the "Keith Urban Development Committee" :)

• Funny x 2
  16. brewster

brewster Member

Great stuff Chuq.
    Does make me wonder how Tesla will determine the next locations of Superchargers once the Sydney-Brisbane & Melbourne-Adelaide routes are complete. Will they be ad-hoc or based on most frequent tourist routes or recommendations from Tesla owners or combination or whatever. Any thoughts? I know you would like Tassie covered, but aside from that, any thoughts?

17. Chuq

Chuq Member

There have been a lot of hints and tips from various sources:
    - Evan Beaver commented about south of Canberra somewhere in a news article last year.
    - South coast of NSW was on the 2015 map, not done
    - Dubbo's local council is interested and were considering submitting interest to Tesla. Also Bathurst is midway from Sydney to Dubbo, both are perfect junctions for SCs.

If all of these extremely speculative "maybes" to a map it would look something like this (note - old map, before PM was done): [​IMG]
    Of these, Keith is the only concrete one.

Regarding Tassie being covered, I'd be happy with a single SC site for now, which would connect 80% of the population - including Hobart (capital) to Devonport (ferry terminal)!

18. Chuq

Chuq Member

Any idea what this page is?

IMG_9329 - DARA SWITCHBOARDS

Note the text: "This document covers the offer to supply electrical switchboards for Tesla Supercharger stations- HORSHAM"

19. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Where do you get all this stuff ?

Very exciting for me as it will (with Keith) establish an all-supercharger route syd to adl.

20. Chuq

Chuq Member

#20 Chuq, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    In this case, it was on the first page of google results for "tesla supercharger horsham" :)

More detail:
    After a bit more digging, it looks like the company (DaRa Switchboards) is a supplier/installer for the supercharger stations at Wodonga and Port Macquarie (possibly more - but they have pictures of those particular stations on their site)