Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melb to Syd via Hwy1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had two solar jobs one at Marlo Vic & the other Gerringong NSW. No SCs this route.
Dept Melb with 99% charge first stop Bairnsdale for 3 ph 16A with TJM for about an hour in order to comfortably make Marlo with 3 nights OP (11PM to 7AM) at my customers premises. at around 10A single phase. After that you are in recharge Badlands. An early morning departure saw my bonnet belted by the tail of an Eastern Grey kanga which triggered the Active Front Trunk safety device which uses propellant to fire cylinders to push the bonnet up. Pushed it down. No noticeable damage but likely to my wallet if I get it fixed. Dont like the sensitivity of this device. I was doing about 50ks.
Next charging stop private house Potato Point and also at a former business they own nearby. This was supposed to have three ph but no outlets found. Charging at 5kW at these locations. Next Gerringong with 8% remaining. This predictor feature is scary as it occasionally says you wont make it. At Gerringong I had a solar.system to charge from o'night from the batteries and using solar power next day. Finally Gymea Bay for 10A charge o'night and a trip to my old school at Wahroonga to see a Cadets Parade followed up by SC at St Leonards. The rest of the trip home was again via Gerringong & SCs to Melb. Didnt see another Tesla whole trip.

An early morning departure saw my bonnet belted by the tail of an Eastern Grey kanga which triggered the Active Front Trunk safety device which uses propellant to fire cylinders to push the bonnet up. Pushed it down. No noticeable damage but likely to my wallet if I get it fixed. Dont like the sensitivity of this device. I was doing about 50ks.
This happened to someone else too, it was @Jude IIRC. They replace the 'firing pins' and can reset the hinges so hopefully not too much money. As to sensitivity, with current technology I cant see how the car can tell between a Kangaroo tail and a child so I doubt it will ever change.

For anyone wanting to travel to East Gippsland or beyond there are now 2 Tesla chargers at
Gippsland Solar in Rocla Rd Traralgon East.
They had a Grand Opening yesterday with local media and guests.
The chargers operate off the extensive solar system the company has on the factory roof and battery back up, the
chargers are open 24/7 and are free. If you are charging during business hours they will drop you off in the Traralgon CBD.
The owner has recently brought a Model S, I'll try and get a photo later.

I'd love to see charging available at somewhere like Yarragon which is a bit of a arty / foody / sustainable town on Highway 1,
it would allow people to visit places like Walhalla, Mt Baw Baw, Mirboo North etc

For anyone wanting to travel to East Gippsland or beyond there are now 2 Tesla chargers at
The chargers operate off the extensive solar system the company has on the factory roof and battery back up, the
chargers are open 24/7 and are free. If you are charging during business hours they will drop you off in the Traralgon CBD.

I'd love to see charging available at somewhere like Yarragon which is a bit of a arty / foody / sustainable town on Highway 1,
it would allow people to visit places like Walhalla, Mt Baw Baw, Mirboo North etc
Did you add them to Plugshare?

Besides the electric shop in Bairnsdale, stops at Bega and Moruya Showgrounds for three phase 32amp should do the trick nicely
I'm getting the car on Friday - hooray ! ! ! and am excited about a Melb trip in a fortnight to drop my charming wife off to see her mum !

Bega and Moruya Showgrounds sound perfect to fill in the trip.

Have you used these locations or do you have any info about them?

That's brilliant! I get over that way once or twice a year to see family so might have to stop in and say gday. Yep a Supercharger at Yarragon or Trafalgar would be ideal also, opens up a lot of Gippsland for travel from Melbourne. The promised doubling of Superchargers worldwide next year from Elon hopefully translates for us here too.

Reactions: RichardMcN
RichardMCN

Just checked them out on Google. I haven't used these but several others I have tried have all had 32a/3 phase. If they have Shows, then they have power.

Congratulations on your new one. Fantastic car. Had mine since last August. P85DL. Put 16kkm on car, mostly long trips and adventures. Longest trip was the Grampians. 1250km

If you're in Sydney stop by and we'll talk teslas and charging on long trips

We're in eastern suburbs

Reactions: RichardMcN
OK now Bega Showground is on the charging map, making the lovely Melb to Sydney trip via the coast quite doable. Nice helpful people, and only 5 minutes walk to the main street and lots of food options!

Also a few other pics including the convenient Chademo charger right in the centre of Canberra. You need an RFID card which takes about a week to get but its free !

Bega.png

Canberra Chademo
20160702_074059.jpg

Bowning
20160702_110740.jpg

Great Dividing Range near Healesville
20160702_194330.jpg

Ninety Mile Beach
20160704_072413.jpg

Bush charging at Broulee
20160705_090227.jpg

Last edited:
Richard
How , and to whom, do you apply for the the RFID card for the CHADEMO charger in civic?
Cheers
Jim
Sorry for the premature post- I have found the ACTEW site with info and will contact them tomorrow.
At this stage I can't see how much the electrons cost. Not to mention the cost of the CHADEMO adapter.