Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melbourne - Mount Buller day trip September 26.. Is this courageous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've seen some pics of what seems to be a supercharger at the Shell in Euroa. By my calculations this should make a day-trip from Melbourne to Mount Buller and back a doddle. Has anyone used the supercharger there? Is it open? I'm thinking about doing this tomorrow (before the snow runs out). The goal is to wake up early in the morning on a full charge @ 380km of capacity,

Plan A:
head up to Euroa (-170km) = 210km
charge for half an hour (+100km?) = 310km
head up to Buller (-130km, actually 110 but add a bit for uphill) = 180km
Ski at least one run.
back down to Euroa (-110km ) = 90km
charge for half an hour (+150?) = 240km
back to Melbourne (-170km) = 70km left in the tank when I get back.

Sounds totally do-able right?

Only problem is if the supercharger isn't there, is locked, powered off etc. In which case I implement Plan B:
head up to Euroa, balance: 210km
Frown. Get some food, walk around
go back to Melbourne (-170km) = 40km left in the tank when I get back. It's close but I can always get out the extension cord and trickle charge it.

Totally gonna do this. Is any of it a bad idea?

You should be fine. The SC is operational and has been used by several people, although one of the two bays has been reported as non-functional at the moment (Tesla are aware and may have rectified by the time you go). It even shows up officially in your charger list in the car. Run the trip through EVTripPlanner to get a better idea of your likely usage, especially the climb up the mountain.

So I've seen some pics of what seems to be a supercharger at the Shell in Euroa. By my calculations this should make a day-trip from Melbourne to Mount Buller and back a doddle. Has anyone used the supercharger there? Is it open? I'm thinking about doing this tomorrow (before the snow runs out). The goal is to wake up early in the morning on a full charge @ 380km of capacity,

Plan A:
head up to Euroa (-170km) = 210km
charge for half an hour (+100km?) = 310km
head up to Buller (-130km, actually 110 but add a bit for uphill) = 180km
Ski at least one run.
back down to Euroa (-110km ) = 90km
charge for half an hour (+150?) = 240km
back to Melbourne (-170km) = 70km left in the tank when I get back.

Sounds totally do-able right?

Only problem is if the supercharger isn't there, is locked, powered off etc. In which case I implement Plan B:
head up to Euroa, balance: 210km
Frown. Get some food, walk around
go back to Melbourne (-170km) = 40km left in the tank when I get back. It's close but I can always get out the extension cord and trickle charge it.

Totally gonna do this. Is any of it a bad idea?

Your location says Northcote, nice... I live in the same suburb.

I will hopefully have my P85D in the next 2-3 weeks, and would love to do a similar trip. Let me know how it goes. :)

I did have a read of the thread. Slow-charging at destinations is ace because you end up talking to more people. Nonetheless the Buller day-trip was a total success. I reckon there was probably an extra 20 minutes due to Euroa diversion (rather than the most direct route) but otherwise supercharging time just lined up with getting a Mcbreakfast or a coffee and a leg stretch in the evening. Was back in Melbourne by 8:30pm.

BullerPanorama_small.jpg

A beautiful spring day.

PoliceInspection_small.jpg

Locals taking an interest in motoring of the future... Plenty of discussion and enthusiasm from the carpark people and the police.

Here's a little secret: The Euroa - Merton road has been resurfaced on the hilly winding bit which was one of the highlights of the journey. Suggesting everyone with a Tesla get out there and have a drive.

Finally, a 15 minute supercharge as the sun was setting...

EuroaSupercharger_small.jpg

A great day.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect there will be a few Northcotians sneaking around in Teslas in the near future. The last 3 weeks before delivery are a challenging time.. I feel for you. You can get addicted to youtube videos, car reviews, forum threads. Be strong.

Attachments

• EuroaSupercharger.jpeg
    EuroaSupercharger.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
Normal height. But yes it has air suspension to (afterward) lift the car off anything that I negligently drive over. In this case it didn't scrape at all. You're the second person to immediately point out my parking bravado/recklessness. (I've been driving land rovers for so long I forget that cars have those fragile spoilers where the bullbar usually is).

Thankfully the Tesla planners must have thought ahead to put the charger in a non-scrapey area.

I guess you were on 'very high' air suspension or are you on coils?