TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Melbourne to Cooktown

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by eclectricdave, Oct 1, 2017.

1. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

I claim the furthermost trip North in Qld having ventured to Cooktown. Done with a single charger. Some pics later

• Like x 3
  2. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Cool. Beat me (Cape Tribulation) by 100km @eclectricdave !

Do you how far north it is possible to go in a Model S? Can you pass the latitude of Darwin and get the Aussie record?

3. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

You'd need to go to Cape York I think. Prob ruin your Tesla. Id thought of returning to Cairns via Cape Trib but the water crossing needed scared me. Visions of a battery fire.

4. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Hey @eclectricdave why not return to Melbourne via Alice Springs ?

Only 1200km longer, and heaps of new scenery ...
    • @Dylanpete has completed the route Cairns to the Qld/NT border, and will update Plugshare soon.
    • NT all done and on Plugshare from to Qld border to SA border.
    • In SA there is 3 phase at Coober Pedy and 15 amp is enough at Marla (3 ph too at a contractor) and Glendambo.
    • Then supercharge home from Clare!

5. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

Charging stops: EuroaSC GundSC GoldSC privhouse HeatherbSC PMQSC KnockSC BneSC NoosaBlueChardemo GinGin3ph Kortes TDC PottersTDC MercureTDC FrostyMangoTDC Cairns privhouse CairnsChardemo CooktownOceanViewmotel16A
    Reverse trip similar but bypassed GinGin and stayed near Maryborough to charge 16A. On my trip I missed alternate SCs since a range of 400ks was easily done.

• Like x 2
  6. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

Richard Might try your suggestion next time but will need extra on board charger.

7. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Now is the time to get dual chargers, now that the boredom of 8 hour charging times is fresh in your mind !

8. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

The max time whilst travelling was 4 hours at Kortes & Mercure not including overnighting. You have a long lunch for some of it. A 6AM departure needed on days of 4 hr charging. Im loath to spend the money.

• Informative x 1
  9. Dylanpete

Dylanpete Member

Hi electricdave, congrats on beating Richard and myself reaching Cooktown. I also din't go further than Cape Tribulation...
    If your car is pre-facelift I agree with Richard, adding a second charger would make life a little easier.
    I just completed my trip from Bribie Island to NT border via the Outback and coming back via Normanton, Mount Surprise, Atherton and Cairns. In Atherton someone told me they saw a Tesla in Cooktown...the mystery is now cleared!

• Like x 1
  10. Dylanpete

Dylanpete Member

On my way back from N-QLD I also charged at"GinGin3ph Kortes TDC PottersTDC MercureTDC FrostyMangoTDC CairnsChardemo"

11. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

12. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

The Frosty Mango is a good way to fill up both your car and yourself. Next year I may try the outback route home from NQ. There might be more chargers on the route by then. Congrats on your trip Dylanp.