Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melbourne to Sydney in January

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

In later part of January next year I will be driving to Sydney for LCA2018. Also taking Mum and 3 kids. The plan is that will will be staying overnight near Gundagai, so will be allowing two days driving each way. We will be staying in Sydney. We will staying near Darling Harbour. Plus probably relying on superchargers all the way. Which will be a good to stretch legs and swap drivers.

Are there are concerns I needs to be be worried about e.g. possibility of superchargers being all taken or ICEd? I am thinking I should charge more then the minimum required, just in case the next supercharger is not available for some reason. I do know that *currently* Eurora only has two chargers (with more in the works and may or may not be open in time). While I plan to stop here - it is a good place for lunch which will be acceptable to the fuzzy eaters, it would seem that charging here isn't essential. What about others along the route? Any known problems?

Also I note that the supercharger at Sydney, unfortunately, is a bit out of my way. Although certainly possible. Ideally I would like on the way from Goulburn to Sydney, that has something the kids can do while we are waiting. According to Plugshare there are 3P chargers at the "wet and wild" car park which would seem ideal, however the description "Several 3P outlets around the carpark" doesn't particularly inspire me. Don't particularly want to be hunting for a parking spot *and* one with a 3P outlet (unless they are reasonably obvious). There is also a Tesla charger nearby at Atura Blacktown, with mixed reviews on Plugshare.

Any recommendations, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

My thoughts ...

The Hume Highway's superchargers are very reliable and very lightly used. Even when severely ICE'd which is very very rare (I was at Goulburn on THE bad day) you will only lose an hour.

Just charge up to get to the next supercharger with a decent buffer and enjoy the ride. It takes 2 hours to supercharge a car to 100% as @raynewman will tell you (charge rate starts tapering at around 40%) which is REALLY boring and that is what you have to do to be able to skip superchargers.

St Leonards is not that bad from Darling Harbour (out of peak hours) and each charge will get you plenty of urban kms.

Maybe you should charge a little more at Goulburn and you'll make it with some to spare !

The trip is an absolute doddle. I've done it half a dozen times.
If you want to make life really easy make your overnight stop somewhere with a destination charger (eg. Atura Wodonga, although that might be too close to Melbourne).
Sydney is planning to re-open a 2nd supercharger by the end of the year, so there might be one downtown (Barangaroo).
Euroa is the only SC where you might have to wait, although I've never seen another Tesla there (maybe lucky?).
Basically it's an easy trip, enjoy it!
Gundagai is a good spot for lunch, Olivers at the Tuckerbox while the car charges. Yum!

Hello All,

In later part of January next year I will be driving to Sydney for LCA2018. Also taking Mum and 3 kids. The plan is that will will be staying overnight near Gundagai, so will be allowing two days driving each way. We will be staying in Sydney. We will staying near Darling Harbour. Plus probably relying on superchargers all the way. Which will be a good to stretch legs and swap drivers.

Are there are concerns I needs to be be worried about e.g. possibility of superchargers being all taken or ICEd? I am thinking I should charge more then the minimum required, just in case the next supercharger is not available for some reason. I do know that *currently* Eurora only has two chargers (with more in the works and may or may not be open in time). While I plan to stop here - it is a good place for lunch which will be acceptable to the fuzzy eaters, it would seem that charging here isn't essential. What about others along the route? Any known problems?

Also I note that the supercharger at Sydney, unfortunately, is a bit out of my way. Although certainly possible. Ideally I would like on the way from Goulburn to Sydney, that has something the kids can do while we are waiting. According to Plugshare there are 3P chargers at the "wet and wild" car park which would seem ideal, however the description "Several 3P outlets around the carpark" doesn't particularly inspire me. Don't particularly want to be hunting for a parking spot *and* one with a 3P outlet (unless they are reasonably obvious). There is also a Tesla charger nearby at Atura Blacktown, with mixed reviews on Plugshare.

Any recommendations, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
The Atura in Blacktown is not near anything except itself. Unless you're staying there I wouldn't bother slow-charging.
BTW, what car do you have?

I think you'll find the superchargers at St Leonards convenient enough. You just drive over the Bridge, onto the freeway and take the Artarmon exit. And for any western and northern touring you go via that freeway as well. Maybe it's a few km out of your way, but the speed of charging makes the detour worthwhile. You won't have any trouble charging at Gundagai and Goulburn.

They almost certainly won't be by then. The servo ones are closing and the new site in town should open any day now.
Unfortunately it's been "any day now" for a month. I was there then and saw the 6 new superchargers. They were absolutely ready for deployment. I could see nothing missing from the site compared to every other supercharger site... except that it wasn't enabled. The rumour, according to the locals in Euroa who I spoke to, was that they screwed up the power infrastructure and when it's open only 2 will be enabled initially. Well that's no better than the current supercharger. I haven't spoken to anyone since then so I don't know if there's been further progress.

Unfortunately it's been "any day now" for a month. I was there then and saw the 6 new superchargers. They were absolutely ready for deployment. I could see nothing missing from the site compared to every other supercharger site... except that it wasn't enabled. The rumour, according to the locals in Euroa who I spoke to, was that they screwed up the power infrastructure and when it's open only 2 will be enabled initially. Well that's no better than the current supercharger. I haven't spoken to anyone since then so I don't know if there's been further progress.
Hmm, hopefully that's not the case. Most of the delay so far would be attributable to resources being diverted to the Adelaide route, and I think I saw that Ausnet were only there finally connecting the power a week or so ago, but given it still hasn't gone live since then it is a bit of a worry.

Euroa: So it sounds like I can't count on a supercharger still being available outside MacDonalds. Oh well, another option might be to buy a takeaway from the MacDonalds and then find somewhere to eat near the superchargers. According to the maps, the superchargers are next to a park which should be ideal.

Sydney: Is possible a new supercharger will be open by 2018. Will believe it when it happens :). General recommendation seems to be to use St Leonards if not open.

Also, I notice that there appear to be major works at George Street in Sydney at the moment. Can anybody tell me what disruptions I might experience, especially as a pedestrian around the area? Is it likely to be noisy with construction works? I see information on restrictions for cars, although not a lot of this really helps for a tourist from out of the area.

As far as I can tell disruptions should be minimal, especially around World Square were I will be staying. Just need to keep in mind that there are likely to be restrictions driving on George Street and where pedestrians can cross. Currently, it seems the main restriction in this area is southbound traffic. I have no idea what effect this is having on traffic. Interactive Map | Sydney Lightrail

Euroa: So it sounds like I can't count on a supercharger still being available outside MacDonalds. Oh well, another option might be to buy a takeaway from the MacDonalds and then find somewhere to eat near the superchargers. According to the maps, the superchargers are next to a park which should be ideal.

Sydney: Is possible a new supercharger will be open by 2018. Will believe it when it happens :). General recommendation seems to be to use St Leonards if not open.

Also, I notice that there appear to be major works at George Street in Sydney at the moment. Can anybody tell me what disruptions I might experience, especially as a pedestrian around the area? Is it likely to be noisy with construction works? I see information on restrictions for cars, although not a lot of this really helps for a tourist from out of the area.

As far as I can tell disruptions should be minimal, especially around World Square were I will be staying. Just need to keep in mind that there are likely to be restrictions driving on George Street and where pedestrians can cross. Currently, it seems the main restriction in this area is southbound traffic. I have no idea what effect this is having on traffic. Interactive Map | Sydney Lightrail
George St is completely closed in the city. I don't know what they are planning, maybe even pedestrianizing it permanently.
Down at World Square there's no problem, the road is the same as always.
Don't worry about your trip, it's all easy. Plenty of superchargers, the satnav will direct you. Make some sandwiches and give Maccas a miss!

Missed a point from my summary: Eat healthy food :)

Now, if only I could convince the kids of this...

Also missed another question: I have an S 90D.

I can't imagine having any problems with "range anxiety". Unless we are unlucky enough to get to a supercharger in the middle of a power blackout, flood, bushfire, volcanic eruption, or meteorite. I could get there and find that aliens intent on taking over the Earth and enslaving humans have rudely parked their flying saucer in the way.

Yes roadside cuisine. Avoid industrial burgers and enhanced poultry. Stick to healthy options. Oliver’s will soon be in Euroa...definitely a step up!

Looks like Oliver's is going next door to MacDonalds. Which won't be quite as convenient if/when the temporary supercharger gets removed. Looks like take away is an option, however...

Store Locator

Also: try getting kids to eat healthy when there is a MacDonalds next door!

I can't imagine having any problems with "range anxiety". Unless we are unlucky enough to get to a supercharger in the middle of a power blackout, flood, bushfire, volcanic eruption, or meteorite. I could get there and find that aliens intent on taking over the Earth and enslaving humans have rudely parked their flying saucer in the way.
I've done Melbourne/Sydney return twice in my S60 and it's a doddle, so no need to have any concerns. Obviously if a supercharger completely dies it could cause an issue but no point in planning for that. Worst case you'll be looking for a 3-phase outlet nearby on plugshare (if you have daylight hours to spare) or somewhere to stay overnight where you can plug in, but the chances are slim enough that I wouldn't give it any thought unless you have deadlines with real consequences to worry about.

81E3F166-3521-4EE7-85FB-6C2E5E8F0549.png

...try getting kids to eat healthy when there is a MacDonalds next door!

Yes point taken!

Solution: Fare Enough or Albert’s just around the corner from the new SC.

S90D is pretty much the perfect car for range. If you had an X75D that would be another matter :)
With your car you could actually skip every second supercharger, I have done so with my S75D.
The best way is to do a quick 15 min charge here and there, and then a longer 45 min charge at lunchtime.
Eg, you could leave home with 100%, skip Euroa, charge 20 min at Wodonga to arrive at Gundagai almost empty. Then have a long lunch at Olivers at Gundagai while charging for 45 minutes or more.
Then another 20 minutes at Goulburn and arrive in Sydney almost empty and charge at your accommodation (or the St Leonard’s SC in the morning).