Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melbourne to Sydney via Destination Charger in a MY RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the way to Sydney about 30kms north of Albury the nav suddenly panicked and recalculated wanting me to do a u-turn and back track to Wodonga to charge. It was estimating a 5% SOC on arrival to Gundagai, I decided to risk it and continue on. I ended up arriving into Gundagai with 8%. The only reason I could see for the sudden change in the route plan was that the temp outside suddenly dropped by 10 degrees and the estimated SOC for arrival went from 15% to 5%.

Was this a trip to Fully Charged Live? 😄

Were you navigating to the SC, hence the car was preconditioning the battery? That would chew up a lot of power if it thought it was extra cold outside so needed more energy to do the preconditioning.

As a rule, I dislike preconditioning. It’s a power hog, not really needed in Australia’s temperate climate, and only saves you a few minutes of charging time. Let the SC and the BMS “precondition” your battery once you plug in, rather than chew up battery while driving.

So if I need to use the Nav at all to get to an SC, I do it only a few kms before I get there, else Nav to something next door to it. I wish there was a way of navigating to an SC but tell the car “don’t precondition!”. And it’s hilarious when the car tells you off for not navigating to an SC, after you‘ve “surprised” it by plugging in.

Reactions: TesOz
Was this a trip to Fully Charged Live? 😄

Were you navigating to the SC, hence the car was preconditioning the battery? That would chew up a lot of power if it thought it was extra cold outside so needed more energy to do the preconditioning.

As a rule, I dislike preconditioning. It’s a power hog, not really needed in Australia’s temperate climate, and only saves you a few minutes of charging time. Let the SC and the BMS “precondition” your battery once you plug in, rather than chew up battery while driving.

So if I need to use the Nav at all to get to an SC, I do it only a few kms before I get there, else Nav to something next door to it. I wish there was a way of navigating to an SC but tell the car “don’t precondition!”. And it’s hilarious when the car tells you off for not navigating to an SC, after you‘ve “surprised” it by plugging in.
Yeah went to fully charged live. It wasn’t as good as I was expecting, I would probably go again if it was close to home but I don’t think I would travel to see it again.

The preconditioning could’ve been a factor, it might have decided it needed a bigger buffer to allow for preconditioning, but at the time I was still over 100km from the supercharger. If given the choice of more driving distance vs preconditioning I would rather more driving distance