Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meltdown mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this board is in meltdown mode and I’m part of the problem. I was just about ready to order and now the price went up 500 bucks on me due to the damn paint and now the delivery window went from 3-6 weeks to 3-5 months. Complete bull crap.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
Something just doesn't add up. On one hand we are seeing estimates of 3-5 months for people who have their orders in, on the other we have various media outlets reporting that Tesla will be opening configuration to all reservation holders in the coming days.

I really hope that the 3-5 months estimates people are seeing on the website are just a glitch

• Love
Reactions: NAT3
this board is in meltdown mode and I’m part of the problem. I was just about ready to order and now the price went up 500 bucks on me due to the damn paint and now the delivery window went from 3-6 weeks to 3-5 months. Complete bull crap.

When the configurator opened for me, for the performance version, I configured within one hour.

What was the delay between when you got the invite until you were "just about ready to order"? As far as I know, no new invites were sent out for a few weeks now until yesterday evening.

I was invited to order in February

Makes sense. They probably assumed you were waiting, because you were.

From Tesla's perspective they waited until RWD orders died down after the last batch of invites and now is their time to pivot to Performance models for a strong Q3 with AWD/RWD at the tail end of that and into Q4.

For many of us, prices went down, considerably.

And also, it's now 'July' and all restraints are off. We always thought this was the plan, get to 5K, push the 200K'th car to Q3, and go go go. :D
Well I won't stop holding my proverbial breath until a semi-official announcement (AKA Musk tweets it :p) that the 200K trigger falls in Q3 rather than Q2. It always had to be close of course but close also means slips can happen.

Reactions: boaterva
Makes sense. They probably assumed you were waiting, because you were.

From Tesla's perspective they waited until RWD orders died down after the last batch of invites and now is their time to pivot to Performance models for a strong Q3 with AWD/RWD at the tail end of that and into Q4.

For many of us, prices went down, considerably.
I haven't been keeping up, what prices have gone down? Performance/AWD or options already featured in first production?

I haven't been keeping up, what prices have gone down? Performance/AWD or options already featured in first production?
AWD decreased by $1000, Performance decreased and was unbundled. With certain paint colors and the black interior, you can get it fully loaded w/autopilot and FSD for $78k whereas before that was $78k + $8000 (EAP + FSD)

Prices of white and red paint went up.

• Helpful
Reactions: vinnie97
Well I won't stop holding my proverbial breath until a semi-official announcement (AKA Musk tweets it :p) that the 200K trigger falls in Q3 rather than Q2. It always had to be close of course but close also means slips can happen.
I believe they self-report the 200,000 sales so I don't think there's any chance they could accidentally hit 200,000 early.

It would be funny if Elon tweeted on Saturday saying they hit 200,000 US sales a day early and the full tax credit would only last 3 months and a day. Oops! Then he could wait an hour or two and send a correction saying they'd made a mistake and still had a few more drivers who are still on the road and those deliveries wouldn't hit until Sunday morning. lol :D

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I believe they self-report the 200,000 sales so I don't think there's any chance they could accidentally hit 200,000 early.

It would be funny if Elon tweeted on Saturday saying they hit 200,000 US sales a day early and the full tax credit would only last 3 months and a day. Oops! Then he could wait an hour or two and send a correction saying they'd made a mistake and still had a few more drivers who are still on the road and those deliveries wouldn't hit until Sunday morning. lol :D

He can go ahead and do that, as long as he also lets me know where I can send him the bill for the crash-cart/EMS call. :p

• Funny
Reactions: F_T_K and Ghanziang

That would create a true meltdown. That would be interesting to watch...

Something just doesn't add up. On one hand we are seeing estimates of 3-5 months for people who have their orders in, on the other we have various media outlets reporting that Tesla will be opening configuration to all reservation holders in the coming days.

I really hope that the 3-5 months estimates people are seeing on the website are just a glitch

Nope, not a glitch. I am a July 2017 reservation holder and I suddenly got to configure yesterday. My delivery is also 3-5 months.

So it appears that Tesla decided to open the floodgates so to speak and let everyone configure now.

Reactions: jgd108

He could blame it on timezones or something..... Which is a good question.. we assume it's based on local timezones?! :D

In any case, that is probably the case why all bets (and restraints) are off now, as nothing much will get delivered in the next three days, and what counts is delivered units.

Be really interesting to see how many units they actually do deliver (total) up to the end of 6/30!

Yeah that was a very strange move, my reservation was made April 2017 and I also got the invite.

So by all accounts they made 40-50k Model 3 last quarter, now they will focus on Performance and AWD.

With no rear drive production for the next quarter, and assuming we still have 400-500k reservations ready to configure now, it will take many many quarters to get your car even if you pull the trigger today! Forget about standard range :)))

What I don't understand is that the current estimate for delivery for brand new reservation orders are 4-6 months. I have been waiting for 18 months since Jan 2017 when I first placed a reservation order to finally configure this morning, just to be given an estimated delivery of 3-5 months. Something doesn't add up....

What I don't understand is that the current estimate for delivery for brand new reservation orders are 4-6 months. I have been waiting for 18 months since Jan 2017 when I first placed a reservation order to finally configure this morning, just to be given an estimated delivery of 3-5 months. Something doesn't add up....

Why wouldn't it add up? It makes sense to me. If you want a configuration they are already building and you reserve your order now and are invited to configure shortly after, then 4-6 months is pretty reasonable and the window is one month out from your window. Obviously this doesn't apply for the SR version or if outside the US.

Basically what they are saying it that everyone in the US can jump the international line and they'll produce as many as possible in the time remaining for the tax credit.