Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meltdown mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, not a glitch. I am a July 2017 reservation holder and I suddenly got to configure yesterday. My delivery is also 3-5 months.

So it appears that Tesla decided to open the floodgates so to speak and let everyone configure now.
Imagine the complaining if Tesla decided to dribble out the invites over the next few months with the tax credit phase-out looming! It makes sense, now that production is increasing rapidly, to open up the reservations and give all USA reservation holders a chance at the tax credit if they are willing to buy a loaded version (P, AWD-LR-PUP, RWD-LR-PUP). Those who want SR or LR without PUP will have to wait and settle for the half or quarter tax credit.

Reactions: diplomat33
Imagine the complaining if Tesla decided to dribble out the invites over the next few months with the tax credit phase-out looming! It makes sense, now that production is increasing rapidly, to open up the reservations and give all USA reservation holders a chance at the tax credit if they are willing to buy a loaded version (P, AWD-LR-PUP, RWD-LR-PUP). Those who want SR or LR without PUP will have to wait and settle for the half or quarter tax credit.

True. Plus, if you are buying the base model with no options, you are buying a cheaper car than the LR or AWD or P. So getting a smaller tax credit hurts less.

Reactions: dgpcolorado

People being people will rend their hands anyway. The big thing here I see is Tesla gets a much clearer picture of what to set the mix of configurations for in their manufacturing planning for the next 6 months.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
this board is in meltdown mode and I’m part of the problem. I was just about ready to order and now the price went up 500 bucks on me due to the damn paint and now the delivery window went from 3-6 weeks to 3-5 months. Complete bull crap.

I also ordered yesterday and got contacted today to set up financing, and have a VIN assigned (so they tell me - doesn't appear in the Tesla website anywhere yet). So I'm guessing 3-5 months is for people who weren't already reserved, but new reservations?

I also ordered yesterday and got contacted today to set up financing, and have a VIN assigned (so they tell me - doesn't appear in the Tesla website anywhere yet). So I'm guessing 3-5 months is for people who weren't already reserved, but new reservations?
RWD?

Sounds like this week they running very close to the bottom of LR order back-log, or maybe even manufacturing First Production on spec and your order matched up to one?

Elon / Tesla should play it safe and not say a word about delivery numbers until July 2. That way the whole world is fully in Q3.

I was checking my old emails, and my config invite was received on February 22. However, with my protest over being forced into spending an additional $14K to get my 3 this year, I didn't place my order until April 8th.

What's the base price of a 3 Performance now? I saw in one place it was $64K.

I think if you order a configuration that has already been produced (or scheduled) you will get a VIN and early delivery date. However, if you ordered AWD and are already getting a VIN assigned, that blows my hypothesis out of the water — I don't think they have produced many of those yet.

I expect that they have quite a stockpile of RWD + LR that are waiting for July 1 or later delivery, to delay hitting the tax credit threshold of 200k cars delivered in the USA.

RWD?

Sounds like this week they running very close to the bottom of LR order back-log, or maybe even manufacturing First Production on spec and your order matched up to one?
Yeah, first production RWD LR w/ PUP, MSM paint and 18" aeros. I was invited to configure in April but first waited for AWD pricing info, then just kept waiting since I wasn't in a hurry as long as I got it before the EV credit phase out, and the longer I wait the more I save up and less financing I need ...

The $100/yr connectivity cost had me waffling (it's only $1k over 10 years so it's no big deal) but it was the 3-5 months that made me jump, thinking I better lock it in before I risk being outside the 7500 EV credit phase if they didn't stretch 200k into Q3... was totally willing to wait a few more months as long as I got the full credit :p

But nope, have to scramble and get financing now. It's not the end of the world, just means having to finance (or take from savings - which would be the smarter move actually) an extra 1500-2500 (I've been personally putting away 500/mo since April 2016, plus we're using another 10k from our joint savings towards the car). I've already gotten 2 of the 3 applications I made today approved, hoping the 3rd (Xceed) comes in lower enough to bother using Lightstream's rate beat policy... otherwise I'll probably just go with the Credit Union of Texas (technically I could use CUTX to rate beat Lightstream but it would save me only $1 per month, might as well just go with the Credit Union and skip the extra hoops).

Already at the rates I've been quoted thus far, the gas savings (including the cost of electricity here) + loan rate would cost less than the $500/mo I was putting away plus gas costs. Of course, those $500/mo I could stop at any time, since my current car is paid off ... not an option once I'm paying for the 3.

Yeah, first production RWD LR w/ PUP, MSM paint and 18" aeros. I was invited to configure in April but first waited for AWD pricing info, then just kept waiting since I wasn't in a hurry as long as I got it before the EV credit phase out.
Wow, i was invited in april and configured on 4/22, received the june delivery delay email and nothing! Should i have just waited until July 1 to order cause i would probably get my vin the next day! .:rolleyes:

Wow, i was invited in april and configured on 4/22, received the june delivery delay email and nothing! Should i have just waited until July 1 to order cause i would probably get my vin the next day! .:rolleyes:
You may already have your VIN but not know it and your car's sitting in parking lot waiting to roll over to you.

Remember that BioSehnsucht is in TX. So it'll be weeks before he sees the car and they have to get a bunch of paper work done early so they have to reach out to him right away.

You may already have your VIN but not know it and your car's sitting in parking lot waiting to roll over to you.

Remember that BioSehnsucht is in TX. So it'll be weeks before he sees the car and they have to get a bunch of paper work done early so they have to reach out to him right away.
i agree with what you are saying ...and I've contacted Tesla, no vin, no email, no delivery

but you know...Texas folks have to pay upfront before the car ever leaves the factor so i bet they are getting priority so Tesla can register the revenue ...!
Pretty sure that's not how that works. They are selling the car "for real", that's the requirement to start shipping it into TX. If the car didn't already exist in shippable form that's edging into fraud territory (and it'd be Fed wire-fraud since it's interstate :p ).