Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melted adapter and outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2CCCEE79-1907-43AE-9C3E-2D0EF8541268.jpeg
3275105B-8806-4D06-A150-98D5FCD62FA6.jpeg
1D525479-C9F7-4733-9106-C5F306534C12.jpeg
Well since I couldn’t find it anywhere online I just decided to make it fit. More pics to come soon.

Can you remove the Hubbell outlet and small electrical box then replace them with one of those larger enclosures I linked to in my previous post? You can take it down to the wires and then route them through the new water-resistant enclosure that has a new outlet included, like this one:

Midwest Electric Products 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot
I'm not sure what you mean. The Hubbell was shipped separately. Also, I checked that same exact one actually at Home Depot but it was still too small of a hole although the picture shows it could fit. It sucks. The one I bought was this one from Amazon and the Hubbell NEMA 14-50R outlet here. The only thing I found was the faceplate (which I cannot find now) that would fit the Hubbell's ~2.45in diameter outlet but it is not made to be installed in the 3R rainproof enclosure that I linked above. It is made for indoor use with a standard box. So I just went with making the hole in the enclosure that I bought bigger and sanded it down a bit. I have it setup now I just need to go outside to connect the cables and mount it to the wall, turn on the breaker and test it. I will post pictures soon. I wish they just sold an outdoor enclosure that fits the Hubbell/Cooper/Bryant outlets since they are thicker but oh well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean. The Hubbell was shipped separately. Also, I checked that same exact one actually at Home Depot but it was still too small of a hole although the picture shows it could fit. It sucks. The one I bought was this one from Amazon and the Hubbell NEMA 14-50R outlet here. The only thing I found was the faceplate (which I cannot find now) that would fit the Hubbell's ~2.45in diameter outlet but it is not made to be installed in the 3R rainproof enclosure that I linked above. It is made for indoor use with a standard box. So I just went with making the hole in the enclosure that I bought bigger and sanded it down a bit. I have it setup now I just need to go outside to connect the cables and mount it to the wall, turn on the breaker and test it. I will post pictures soon. I wish they just sold an outdoor enclosure that fits the Hubbell/Cooper/Bryant outlets since they are thicker but oh well.

Since you’re almost done you should complete the install. What I was saying was simply to install the Home Depot enclosure + outlet as is, without any changes or replacing the included outlet with one from another manufacturer. Then charge at 32 A as was previously suggested to help cut down on heat generation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Since you’re almost done you should complete the install. What I was saying was simply to install the Home Depot enclosure + outlet as is, without any changes or replacing the included outlet with one from another manufacturer. Then charge at 32 A as was previously suggested to help cut down on heat generation.
Ah I see. Yeah, that might have worked. I've been pulling 40A for years until now. 32A might have done the trick. I probably disconnected/reconnected the cable a dozen times or so as well. I've got it installed so I have peace of mind now. Rookie problems!

Ah I see. Yeah, that might have worked. I've been pulling 40A for years until now. 32A might have done the trick. I probably disconnected/reconnected the cable a dozen times or so as well. I've got it installed so I have peace of mind now. Rookie problems!

Good to see you completed the install! I hope it works without issue from now on. It would probably be a good idea to check the wiring a year from now to make sure everything still looks good, and the connections are tight.

Reactions: besnova

You can calculate roughly how much electricity is being turned into heat. Your car displays voltage. Take note of your voltage after you plug in your car but before it starts charging (and make sure nothing in your house turns on/off); Then after it's charging at 32A. (Volts before - Volts after) (Amps charge rate) = Watts; This is the total line loss roughly back to your service transformer but the outlet is likely the biggest 'bottleneck'.

• Helpful
Reactions: besnova