Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melted Charging Adapter/Cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, I think that, perhaps, what will happen instead is that a new version of the UMC will be provided with a fixed NEMA 14-15 male plug and, perhaps, a slightly more sturdy construction. Then the interchangable plug UMC would be an optional product. A HPWC would mean large installation charges for many people. But, again, your point is taken and I concur that if people who use their UMC as their every day charger then there should be a more reliable/safer version available for that purpose and keep the current version (perhaps with improved connection lock) strictly for occasional use when traveling.

Your idea may be under Tesla's consideration: I stopped by my local SC to pick up a 14-50 adapter and was informed by the parts guy that all of their 14-50 adapter inventory had been sent back to HQ at HQ's request. He also stated Tesla is always improving parts and this was why the inventory was sent back. If you check out Tesla's online store the 14-50 adapter is now listed as "Out of stock". An improved version of the adapter is in the works.

Last edited:
Your idea may be under Tesla's consideration: I stopped by my local SC to pick up a 14-50 adapter and was informed by the parts guy that all of their 14-50 adapter inventory had been sent back to HQ at HQ's request. He also stated Tesla is always improving parts and this was why the inventory was sent back. If you check out Tesla's online store the 14-50 adapter is now listed as "Out of stock" An improved version of the adapter is in the works.

Sounds like a silent recall.

Your idea may be under Tesla's consideration: I stopped by my local SC to pick up a 14-50 adapter and was informed by the parts guy that all of their 14-50 adapter inventory had been sent back to HQ at HQ's request. He also stated Tesla is always improving parts and this was why the inventory was sent back. If you check out Tesla's online store the 14-50 adapter is now listed as "Out of stock" An improved version of the adapter is in the works.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the a TM service guy is bringing me a new 14-50 adapter and a new cord based on the picture I sent to them. Should be here in about an hour so I'll find out if it is an "improved" model.

Picked up my replacement UMC and 14-50 adapter from the Palo Alto service center this afternoon. So, they are still available, at least for interim replacements for damaged parts. This is the newer design, with a more tactile "click" but has quite a bit of play when engaged.

Brian from the San Rafael Service Center arrived promptly and not only had a new (and improved) adapter and cord, but also said he was to replace the 12v battery. Never had a problem with it, but he said they were replacing all of the older ones. Not bad service.

Here is the top of the adapter that shows a different, raised Tesla "T"
photo.JPG

I'm a happy Tesla Camper!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    560.5 KB · Views: 461
Brian from the San Rafael Service Center arrived promptly and not only had a new (and improved) adapter and cord, but also said he was to replace the 12v battery. Never had a problem with it, but he said they were replacing all of the older ones. Not bad service.

Here is the top of the adapter that shows a different, raised Tesla "T"
I'm a happy Tesla Camper!
So the entire EVSE was replaced? Did your 5-15 adapter also get replaced?

As alluded to by someone above, it seems to make more sense to have the NEMA 14-50 permanantly affixed and then adapters that have a female NEMA 14-50...I guess that makes the thing longer which could be a problem though...hmmm, I can see their dilemma.

So the entire EVSE was replaced? Did your 5-15 adapter also get replaced?

As alluded to by someone above, it seems to make more sense to have the NEMA 14-50 permanantly affixed and then adapters that have a female NEMA 14-50...I guess that makes the thing longer which could be a problem though...hmmm, I can see their dilemma.
Apparently all of the adapters are being upgraded, but only the 14-50 is currently available. I'm going to our winter home in Arizona where I use a 14-30 adapter, which I'll be watching like a hawk.

Apparently all of the adapters are being upgraded, but only the 14-50 is currently available. I'm going to our winter home in Arizona where I use a 14-30 adapter, which I'll be watching like a hawk.

So the adapters connection is identical? I was just wondering if the new connection was a different configuration. Can you comment on the design, is it just a tighter connection? Any visible internal changes (ie. tighter springs for the pins, longer 'catch' pin?

I have only used my 14-50 adapter a couple of times since until I got my HPWC installed I only had a 14-30 outlet in my garage. I was never impressed with the adapter connector since it seemed to always be a bit loose. Any movement would cause the UMC light to turn red for a bit leading me to believe that there was never a good connection.

So the adapters connection is identical? I was just wondering if the new connection was a different configuration. Can you comment on the design, is it just a tighter connection? Any visible internal changes (ie. tighter springs for the pins, longer 'catch' pin?
I'm all packed up and ready to head out early in the AM for an 900 mile, 2 day drive to Tucson. If the opportunity presents itself I'll take some iPhone photos and send them on to you for evaluation. I'm a retired CPA and just know that the male prongs go in the female holes.:rolleyes:

Lots of good info in this thread. I bet (and hope) a redesign is in the works. When I took delivery of my car the guy that sat down with me and explained the entire controls / settings didn't seem happy with the UMC, he didn't say anything, but I could tell he didn't like it and went over it with emphasis about the adapters being plugged in tight.

I'm all packed up and ready to head out early in the AM for an 900 mile, 2 day drive to Tucson. If the opportunity presents itself I'll take some iPhone photos and send them on to you for evaluation. I'm a retired CPA and just know that the male prongs go in the female holes.:rolleyes:
Clearly you need to postpone this trip until this thread has come to fruition and you've supplied high resolution photos and micrometer measurements of the new EVSE and adapter!
Have a great trip, you're just the first we know to have the new adapter and I'm really curious as to what changes were made. While I've never had any problems with mine I do worry a bit as the amount of play in the connection and the amount of heat generated with the multiple reports of melted adapters makes me do so. Not keen on burning down my lake house or a hotel!

> with emphasis about the adapters being plugged in tight. [Seven7]

Well that's just it - you can push the halves together as hard as you like but that doesn't improve the male/female metal-to-metal connections themselves. If you peer into a 14-50 socket you see where the tapered prong enters & forces the brass halves apart, then slides along under spring pressure which helps to clean the contacts of corrosion and debris. In short, a big honkin' satisfying interface.

If you 'always' use a 14-50 source for your UMC then you could cut the cord and eliminate the adapter thingies. Then attach UMC cable to a new 14-50 plug (splurge and buy a Hubbell brand plug). Then rip apart the adapter/14-50 or otherwise reverse engineer it so you have the correct wiring diagram. Otherwise the MS will refuse to charge. Best to have our EVSE experts here advise on the pilot connection scheme.

Once that is done it will be easy to hook up a 14-50 socket to 120v plug adapter so you will be covered in an emergency. Or 6-30 for use on welder outlets.

Fortunately the UMC device itself is bullet proof, so why not continue to use it.
--

> with emphasis about the adapters being plugged in tight. [Seven7]
If you 'always' use a 14-50 source for your UMC then you could cut the cord and eliminate the adapter thingies. Then attach UMC cable to a new 14-50 plug (splurge and buy a Hubbell brand plug). Then rip apart the adapter/14-50 or otherwise reverse engineer it so you have the correct wiring diagram. Otherwise the MS will refuse to charge. Best to have our EVSE experts here advise on the pilot connection scheme.
--

Please don't hack off the UMC's wall plug socket without understanding that there is a fourth control pin with the following resistance values to ground:

Tesla UMC Plugs Resistance

40 amps - 9.08k ohms

24 amps - 33.16k ohms

16 amps - 75k ohms

12 amps - 140k ohms

We are building an improved design with our next gen JESLA, but I suspect that won't be available until 3rd quarter 2014.

I've always been a bit dubious of the idea that you would plug/unplug a 40 Amp connector multiple times. Even if you leave it plugged in forever, it is still subject to stress every time you use it. Even putting a hardwired 14-50 male connector on the UMC ignores the fact that there are still 2 sets of "friction fit" connectors here. This whole issue is a good reason to get a hardwired EVSE - like the HPWC - for your home. The fewer connectors in the chain, the better. Of course, you should make sure the hardwired connections are properly torqued down. I had a conversation with my electrician. He was kind of annoyed that I asked him about how hard he was going to torque the wire bolts down but he got out a torque wrench...

I dropped close to 100K on the car, a couple thou for a dedicated EVSE is money very well spent.

> putting a hardwired 14-50 male connector on the UMC ignores the fact that there are still 2 sets of "friction fit" connectors here.

Recently produced 14-50 plugs and sockets are all really nicely designed units, getting Hubbell brand is merely icing on the cake. They are massive & robust, one can easily envision them surpassing a 10,000 insertion/removal test.
--

> putting a hardwired 14-50 male connector on the UMC ignores the fact that there are still 2 sets of "friction fit" connectors here.

Recently produced 14-50 plugs and sockets are all really nicely designed units, getting Hubbell brand is merely icing on the cake. They are massive & robust, one can easily envision them surpassing a 10,000 insertion/removal test.
--

I don't doubt that but there are still ways it can go wrong, like not getting fully plugged in as note above. And, in general, the fewer friction fit connectors in the chain, the better. Regardless of how well made they are.

I have the full set of the old adapters. My Umc has been replaced twice due to electronics defects, so I suspect the Umc of being undr engineered. I presume tesla will replace my adapters under warranty if there is trouble since they are all original. But tesla has been really bad about such things...

- - - Updated - - -

I've always been a bit dubious of the idea that you would plug/unplug a 40 Amp connector multiple times. Even if you leave it plugged in forever, it is still subject to stress every time you use it.
I unplug mine maybe four times a year. I unplug my dryer and stove more often. And the cable weight is supported.

I dropped close to 100K on the car, a couple thou for a dedicated EVSE is money very well spent.
Not really. It's pure waste for my scenario. If there were a 40 amp EVSE which wasn't absurdly overpriced I'd get it but the HPWC is priced so it only makes sense on a 70 amp circuit

Not really. It's pure waste for my scenario. If there were a 40 amp EVSE which wasn't absurdly overpriced I'd get it but the HPWC is priced so it only makes sense on a 70 amp circuit
What do you consider overpriced?

Model S UMC: $650
Leviton 40A J1772: ~$1100
Model S HPWC: $1200
ClipperCreek CS-40 (40A): ~$1750
ClipperCreek CS-60 (48A): ~$2000
ClipperCreek CS-100 (80A): ~$2200

The HPWC seems to be reasonably priced to me and then you don't have to use the J1772 adapter.