TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Memorial Day SuperCharger utilization to be saturated?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Benjamin Brooks, May 22, 2014.

1. Benjamin Brooks

I expect many of the US SuperChargers will see very high usage this Memorial Day weekend (Friday & Monday being the worst).
    Unfortunately there are no battery swap station options yet, so the "fast or free" option Elon coined will very likely turn out to be "slow and free" for many road-trippers.

Just a friendly reminder to be courteous to your fellow Model S drivers, & if there are long waits to access the chargers, please only charge as much as you need to get to your next destination :)

Perhaps people can update to this thread when & where there are long waits for SC access?

2. Lump

Lump Active Member

Barstow, expect 2+ cars waiting so please be patient.

Only 4 bays that are still the original 90 kW chargers & most people max charging.

3. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Those passing through Wisconsin, don't worry, no waits accept potential in Madison where their are only 3 SC bay's, though, each bay will get the full dedicated 120kW so no charge sharing, you get what it can give.

4. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I'd say Newark, DE will be a bottleneck for anyone traveling through that area. I've been through there about 8 times in the past few months and all except once was there no other Model S there at some point with me. Only 4 stalls.

Although, I suppose with Woodbridge, VA and Hamilton, NJ, Newark, DE could be skipped in an 85 (~200 miles between those two). So far I try to skip Newark, DE when returning home from the south after range charging at Glen Allen, VA. 235 miles from there to home, and I've been able to skip DE on over half of my trips so far.

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Saturday morning use at Newark has been pretty light; I've been able to charge at 8am without any problem. Coming through at 8pm on Saturday evenings, has seen full use of the bays. Not looking forward to what it will be on the last day of a holiday weekend. Won't be traveling this weekend but 4th of July will be interesting.

6. Vger

Vger Active Member

I will be heading across SW Minnesota and all of South Dakota on Monday. On my trip out, I did not see a single other car at the SC's (but did pass a grey car headed west on I-90 near Sturgis). We shall see...

7. invisik

invisik Member

Any reports from the field on supercharger wait times?

-m

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

No problem at Ellensburg, WA this morning but not a high traffic area.

9. Owner

Owner Active Member

I think the only problems will be on the heavily traveled coastal routes such as I-5 and 101 in California...

I've done the whole country now (almost 10K) in Utah...

I went many many a charge without seeing another Tesla.

I'm delaying entering CA though until Tuesday likely ... both to avoid a ton of cars but also to avoid waiting for a supercharger.

10. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I was sort of shocked at the lack of people at the SC this weekend. Both at ellendburg and Burlington. I was the only MS T both plCes both times.

11. Benjamin Brooks

Harris Ranch was full around 2pm on Monday, wait time didn't seem too bad though. (Harris Ranch only has 6 of its 7 chargers functional)
    Tejon Ranch wasn't 100% utilized on Saturday nor Monday while I was there, though both times I only got 60-90kW when they're supposedly 120 capable. Fairly surprising actually...

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The standard question when someone posts a comment like this-- were you parked at a bay where the same number of the pair was occupied, or one where the other bay matching that number was empty?

13. bradc

bradc Member

Was at Burlington, WA supercharger (between Seattle and Vancouver) on Monday afternoon. 10 stalls, completely empty when I arrived. Got 55 kW charging rate during my short pit stop. One other Model S pulled in just before I left.

14. Benjamin Brooks

The 60kw was when there was a car on adjacent charge share bay (expected). Only got 90kw on a non-shared adjacent charge bay at low (20%) state of charge (unexpected). Got 120kw at Harris Ranch.