Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Memory corruption issues in 18.42.2 on MCU1 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
So... I got a memory controller error in my logs after upgrading to 18.42.2, looks like this:

Code:
[  124.827125] tegra-mc 7000f000.memory-controller: idxsrd: read @0x733efb20: EMEM address decode error (EMEM decode error)

And then I started hearing from people that they get glitched fonts/display issues and I think these are connected. With 18.42.2 apparently being a pretty wide release, I am sure other must be seeing these too?

So... If you saw anything like that or something related, please reply here. I am going to add a sample picture once I am able to procure one.

There's a sister post in the S forum to increase visibility

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
here are some samples.
glitch.jpg glitch2.jpg

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: dogldogl and P85_DA
Yup.. 48.12.1, starting to get corrupted fonts in charging screen. :/

..And a *sugar* ton o the following in dmesg

tegra-mc 7000f000.memory-controller: idxsrd2: read @0x72665aa0: EMEM address decode error (EMEM decode error)

So... I got a memory controller error in my logs after upgrading to 18.42.2, looks like this:

Code:
[  124.827125] tegra-mc 7000f000.memory-controller: idxsrd: read @0x733efb20: EMEM address decode error (EMEM decode error)

And then I started hearing from people that they get glitched fonts/display issues and I think these are connected. With 18.42.2 apparently being a pretty wide release, I am sure other must be seeing these too?

So... If you saw anything like that or something related, please reply here. I am going to add a sample picture once I am able to procure one.

There's a sister post in the S forum to increase visibility
Had the same problem on charging related screens... Full reboot didn't help, full reboot after next update did take cate of it

Do we know what memory (idxsrd2?) it is - I hope it's not the eMMC that is dying..

Although the comments in the driver source code are confusing as heck, as best I can tell, idxsrd2 is TEGRA_SWGROUP_NV2, which is a group that AFAICT represents memory or storage that is part of the Tegra SoC itself in one specific model of Tegra SoC. I'm guessing from the name that it is a GPU.

The MMC hardware, as best I can tell, would be any of TEGRA_SWGROUP_SDMMC1A through TEGRA_SWGROUP_SDMMC4A.

Given how many people are seeing it, this is likely a kernel/driver bug, rather than a hardware problem.