Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I hear, it has to do with permitting issues.
I've never heard about permit issues. I have heard the points @jdo makes, and I've heard "they are experimenting until they find the best configuration." IMO, available space (and permitting) aside the 'best' is when it imitates a gas station, with at least 2 rows and at least 3 columns of stations sitting out in the middle of asphalt, clearly a refilling station; however, then you may have to deal with clearing snow by hand. IMO, the easiest to build (and get approval for) is the back-in stations. Seems like most common these past 6 months is 8 stations 6-7 of which are back-in, and 1-2 of which are head in with the connector on the side. That works for most situations including snow, but still does little to discourage ICEing.

I am surprised there are no pull-in stations at this location; it wouldn't have been difficult to make 1-2 of them pull-ins here.

IMG_5874.JPG
This afternoon...

now that this location is approaching completion, anyone have any knowledge or insight for searching for the Jackson TN site? That's Madison county I believe ... Looking at their website, Madison County, TN - Official Website - Required Permits & Inspections:

ELECTRICAL
: Is to be permitted and inspected through the State of Tennessee and all requirements are set by the state.

Later:
Electrical Permits and Inspections

Electrical permits are required, inspections are performed by Deputy Electrical Inspectors for the State of Tennessee. Permits can be purchased through your utility provider and proof of inspections are required before any framing or final inspections.

Information on required permits must be obtained from the State of Tennessee.

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the 2012 IBC and IRC, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Madison County Building Commissioner and obtain a required permit.

Next, on Madison County, TN - Official Website - Building Permits, Deeds, & Mobile Homes,
Building Permits

Building permits are used to add (pick up) new buildings or remodels. Demolition permits are also used to remove buildings. A field check is done to verify each.

For more information regarding permits and other building regulations:

• If your house / building is located within the Jackson City limits go to the City of Jackson Building Department or call (731) 425-8262 as well as calling the Madison County Building Department @ (731) 423-6015
  • If your house / building is located in Madison County ONLY, call (731) 423-6015 the Madison County Building Department.
  • To help ensure our records are correct, please purchase permits for remodels, room additions, repairs especially due to storm/flood damage and new home construction.

Building Inspections

• A building permit is required and can be purchased at the Madison County Building Dept.
  • Footing Inspection
  • Foundation Inspection
  • Slab Inspection (plumbing inspection required before building slab)
  • Floor Joist and Girders (before covered)
  • Framing Inspection
  • Insulation Inspection
  • Final Inspection (all required inspections must be approved before final)

Are Superchargers typically an electrical permit?

now that this location is approaching completion, anyone have any knowledge or insight for searching for the Jackson TN site? That's Madison county I believe ... Looking at their website, Madison County, TN - Official Website - Required Permits & Inspections:

ELECTRICAL
: Is to be permitted and inspected through the State of Tennessee and all requirements are set by the state.

Later:
Electrical Permits and Inspections

Electrical permits are required, inspections are performed by Deputy Electrical Inspectors for the State of Tennessee. Permits can be purchased through your utility provider and proof of inspections are required before any framing or final inspections.

Information on required permits must be obtained from the State of Tennessee.

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the 2012 IBC and IRC, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Madison County Building Commissioner and obtain a required permit.

Next, on Madison County, TN - Official Website - Building Permits, Deeds, & Mobile Homes,
Building Permits

Building permits are used to add (pick up) new buildings or remodels. Demolition permits are also used to remove buildings. A field check is done to verify each.

For more information regarding permits and other building regulations:

• If your house / building is located within the Jackson City limits go to the City of Jackson Building Department or call (731) 425-8262 as well as calling the Madison County Building Department @ (731) 423-6015
  • If your house / building is located in Madison County ONLY, call (731) 423-6015 the Madison County Building Department.
  • To help ensure our records are correct, please purchase permits for remodels, room additions, repairs especially due to storm/flood damage and new home construction.

Building Inspections

• A building permit is required and can be purchased at the Madison County Building Dept.
  • Footing Inspection
  • Foundation Inspection
  • Slab Inspection (plumbing inspection required before building slab)
  • Floor Joist and Girders (before covered)
  • Framing Inspection
  • Insulation Inspection
  • Final Inspection (all required inspections must be approved before final)

Are Superchargers typically an electrical permit?

It'd be safe to assume they are an electrical permit. I've been checking the Shelby County permit records every few days to see if they've applied for the electrical meter permit, no luck yet. That said there haven't been any building (demo or construction) permits pulled for this supercharger so I wonder how much falls under their initial permit request.

Unfortunately Jackson/Madison County doesn't have a solid online permit lookup system like Memphis/Shelby so we might be thoroughly in the dark on that one.

Stopped by at lunch. Little to add to yesterday's photos.
1. Back of meter there, front part not. I.E. housing but not the actual meter.
2. No transformer.
3. No transformer pad. Looks to that either MLGW is responsible for the pad, or there's no concrete pad. There are conduits stubbed out so it's not like there's going to be a pole mounted transformer.
4. They just finished the new parking space lines and are currently painting over the old lines (looks like 2nd coat).
5. 2nd worker is just starting to hang the parking signs. Laying them out now.
6. Privacy fencing up except gates.

So looks to me like they will be done before this weekend except transformer and final adjustments.

image.jpg

Could it be ..., Johnny on the spot?
Nope. As I was waiting for this photo to upload, crew came out of Mexican restaurant. No they charger station isn't on their list. At least, not today. "Soon" They did confirm they do the pad, transformer, and the entire run to the transformer.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
Am I the only one allowing this to consume his life? No one else posting this week?
More potentially interesting photos from this afternoon (posting from the phone is painful!)

Attachments

• IMG_3275.JPG
    IMG_3275.JPG
    724.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
    641 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    979.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
Above, note the charging stations, including the cables! Looks like they decided to sod rather than keep any of the old grass. No meter in the meter. Transformer conduit but still no pad. No connection to power feed. Someone marked in chalk the charger numbers - if its correct, they go 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc from left to right. Meanwhile, the leftmost 4 spots are "Tesla Charging only" and the rightmost 4 spots are "30 minutes general parking". PS - Interestingly, while I was finishing up and leaving, a 50s woman drove up in her ICE, parked in the leftmost "30 minutes general parking" noticed the chargers, nodded her head in an affirmative fashion, got back in her car AND MOVED! Self anti-ICEing ... nice.

Attachments

• IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    632.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3284.JPG
    IMG_3284.JPG
    726.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3285.JPG
    IMG_3285.JPG
    846.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3286.JPG
    IMG_3286.JPG
    962.5 KB · Views: 78
Plus EV: From what has been provided recently by the local Memphis bird dogs (thanks!) the construction so far has moved along quite quickly. However, two things have to take place before Memphis' supercharger is activated. The power company has to put in and connect the transformer (this construction/installation has several parts of course) and a Tesla technician has to review the construction overall. If everything is okay, the tech turns the site on. There is no set time for either of these two steps. In most of the cases I have monitored, the power company completes the transformer installation during the other construction. That hasn't happened here. Hopefully, it won't be long before the Memphis transformer is put in, but without inside information it is difficult to predict when that will happen. My guess is less than two weeks, perhaps a good bit less. The Tesla tech won't (can't) do his inspection until after that. In Shreveport that happened a day or two after everything else was completed. There was a good bit longer delay with the Monroe installation, maybe as much as a week. I will be pleased but very surprised if Memphis' supercharger is activated by Monday.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
Am I the only one allowing this to consume his life? ...
Just because we have not posted does not mean we are uninterested! Your posts remind me of my fixation not too long ago with the Plantation Supercharger. This one is really important for me too because it opens up much more direct routing for my planned trip next week, and makes it easier to visit my Memphis-area friends.
So, thanks!

Reactions: CSFTN
In case there are any truly curious people here - I just happened to find a packing slip for the switching cabinets.
Sold to: Edges Electrical Group LLC PO Box 26830 San Jose, CA 95159-6830
Invoice to: same
Shipped to: Tesla Superchargers, 960 Berry Shoals Rd, DMX Transportation, Duncan SC 29334
Shipping Point Columbia SC plant
Via DMX LTL/Truck
Description: Square D Custom Swbd, QED Switchboard, Designations: Memphis, TN
Weight 2076lbs (that's each I believe)
Shipped Date 2016/09/19

Sorry if this is creepy. Maybe it will help someone else with another Supercharger install. I have intentionally left out details like order number, customer number, PO number just in case those can be used for nefarious purposes.

Gotta be getting close.

Not really. I've seen completed superchargers sit and wait for transformers for weeks. And then another couple weeks for Tesla to check it and activate it. It could be a week, or it could be 6 weeks - and anything in between. Based on experience, when the transformer is the last to arrive, it's usually a really bad sign. Check out Lima, MT. It's been done for weeks - still no transformer.

Utilities hate Tesla. They don't make life easy for some reason.