Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd go so far as to say that location stinks. My kids go to school across the street, so I or my wife are there every day.

Its not terribly convenient to TN-385, its not at all convenient to I-269, getting on and off I-240 at Poplar is a mess, its quite far from I-40, and a good 20 minutes, if not 30 minutes to I-55 (each way, through the worst traffic in metro Memphis). Its right in the middle of a wealthy neighborhood, so there will be local chargers at this location. Despite being in a wealthy neighborhood, the (public) high school that's 1/4 mile away is gang-infested so there will be punks noting all the expensive cars.

I don't understand at all.

PS Memphis is not very big on upper-middle class condos - but I would say that 80% of all that meet that definition are within 5 miles of this location.

PPS - OK, maybe that last statement is hyperbole. But the rest I believe are correct.

Last edited:
And we're now live on supercharge.info

This location is by no means the best but to be fair it's not horrible either. Tesla probably got a great deal to setup the supercharger there (Wolfchase/Bass Pro might have wanted too much in comparison).

Pros:
  • Lots of restaurant options: PF Changs, Pyros Pizza, Amerigos, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Jason's Deli, etc.
  • It's right outside First Tennessee, so plenty of security cameras to at least slightly discourage criminals
  • Near I-240 on the way to I-40 Eastbound, albeit if you come through at rush hour plan an extra 5 miles of range just to sit at the lights on Poplar and then Park/Ridgeway..
  • The area is relatively nice and could experience a nice boost due to Tesla owners stopping in. I imagine most will stick around for a full charge to make it to the next SpC (Minor, MO is 157mi; Nashville is 210mi; and Jackson, MS is 215mi).
Cons:
  • It's not at X (Wolfchase, Bass Pro, Tanger, etc)
  • After dark this is an area I would NOT just sit around and wait for a charge (given I wouldn't do that anywhere in this city). Everything nearby will be closed for the night after 10PM, expect Taco Bell (1AM).
So really, during most hours of the day this is a fine stopping point to bridge the gap between St Louis and the gulf or help connect Little Rock residents to the supercharger system (...or for us locals to grab a quick top up).

Interstates: I-40.
US Numbered Highways (<= 5 miles): US-72

I-40:
To: Knoxville, TN - 369 miles
Diversion: 7 miles

Supercharger is actually on the I-240 spur which connects the southern I-55 to eastern I-40.
Although Memphis also has I-55 and also the planned I-69, the Supercharger is too far away from those to be anything but an emergency stop. So maybe another one in West Memphis at some point. A difficult area to cover.

I think it's actually not bad at all.

The mall half a mile north anchored by target would have been better, closer to 240, but this mall is close enough.

Keeping both Nashville/Brentwood and Jackson/Pearl, ms in range pretty much requires a spot in southeast Memphis near the loop.

I-55 traffic can can come around the north loop (40). It's about the same time and distance.

I live just east of this neighborhood, and it's a straight shot down ridgeway to 385.

I drove to Wisconsin over the weekend from Memphis, and saw a bunch of supercharger sites. I think this is better than average.

212 miles from Nashville to Memphis is going to be touchy unless you keep it at or below the speed limit. Would be nice to have a least a Level 2 charger available in-between, but Plugshare lists nothing.

EDIT: Evtripplanner lists a public level 2 in Jackson, so there's that.

Did Casey Jones Village fall off Plugshare? It is about 70 miles northeast of Memphis on I-40, and has 2-3 J1772s in its parking lot. Blink IIRC There's also several campgrounds, one at Parker's Crossing with many RV-50 plugs. It is almost exactly midway between Memphis and Nashville.

Last edited:
Did Casey Jones Village fall off Plugshare? It is about 70 miles northeast of Memphis on I-40, and has 2-3 J1772s in its parking lot. Blink IIRC There's also several campgrounds, one at Parker's Crossing with many RV-50 plugs. It is almost exactly midway between Memphis and Nashville.

No, it's there. I'm an idiot, for some reason I had the box for "public stations" unchecked. (Although in my defense, why would you make that an option in the first place.)

Seems like an odd location. West Memphis, AK would have made more sense combined with Jackson, TN to get a location between Nashville and West Memphis, AK.

This location is pretty far from Nashville and doesn't really cover I-55 very easily, without going a fair amount out of the way.

Seems like an odd location. West Memphis, AK would have made more sense combined with Jackson, TN to get a location between Nashville and West Memphis, AK.

This location is pretty far from Nashville and doesn't really cover I-55 very easily, without going a fair amount out of the way.

There'd need to be a lot of Superchargers to connect West Memphis, AK and Memphis, TN. ;)

If you consider it from the point of view of trips in all directions, including hopping from one Interstate to another, I think the large area makes it's difficult to cover with one Supercharger anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: jvonbokel
About West Memphis (Arkansas) I think the word is they could not get a permit..anywhere in Arkansas at this time. That's one of the reasons there are no SCs in Arkansas. It's a path of least resistance I suppose. And remember these SCs are not for local Memphisians..they are for long distance travelers.

ModelZ, thanks for the letter of intent. I had not seen one of these before. Some interesting info in there. Thanks again!

Reactions: jvonbokel
About West Memphis (Arkansas) I think the word is they could not get a permit..anywhere in Arkansas at this time. That's one of the reasons there are no SCs in Arkansas. It's a path of least resistance I suppose. And remember these SCs are not for local Memphisians..they are for long distance travelers.

ModelZ, thanks for the letter of intent. I had not seen one of these before. Some interesting info in there. Thanks again!
I know I am one of those. We travel to my sisters in Little Rock once or twice per year. We need a charge between Sikeston and Little Rock. This one will have us drive about 20 minutes from downtown, we stop for BBQ in Memphis, and then head back west. That is according to Bing Maps. So adds like an hour to the trip.

Wow, I am shocked at the amount of complaining about this Supercharger.
Not a great location for people heading west from either the South or North. Hopefully another SC will be on the West side of Memphis as well.
Considering that these cost a few hundred thousand dollars to build, I don't think they are going to put these on multiple sides of Memphis, nor should they.

I'd go so far as to say that location stinks. My kids go to school across the street, so I or my wife are there every day.

Its not terribly convenient to TN-385, its not at all convenient to I-269, getting on and off I-240 at Poplar is a mess, its quite far from I-40, and a good 20 minutes, if not 30 minutes to I-55 (each way, through the worst traffic in metro Memphis). Its right in the middle of a wealthy neighborhood, so there will be local chargers at this location. Despite being in a wealthy neighborhood, the (public) high school that's 1/4 mile away is gang-infested so there will be punks noting all the expensive cars.

I don't understand at all.

PS Memphis is not very big on upper-middle class condos - but I would say that 80% of all that meet that definition are within 5 miles of this location.

PPS - OK, maybe that last statement is hyperbole. But the rest I believe are correct.

My goodness. With this being the fastest, most high power charging station format on the entire planet, I can't believe how you are acting like you are being waterboarded to have to drive 7 or 8 miles out of your way to get access to it. Yep, they pick these locations just to torture you.

If you consider it from the point of view of trips in all directions, including hopping from one Interstate to another, I think the large area makes it's difficult to cover with one Supercharger anyway.

This is a really big area, and there are 6 interstates coming out of this area in several directions. There is no one location that can be convenient to all of that, so apparently there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth of how idiotic Tesla was, no matter where they picked. Jeez.

There won't be any construction until this goes through the Shelby Co. Board of Adjustment; their next meeting is Aug 24th. If any residents want to provide feedback they can (but as a reminder this isn't to whine about the location, this is for serious impact concerns to the area). If anyone wants more info I can pass along the complete details, they're also currently posted on Nextdoor if you live in the Memphis area.

For what it's worth it here are ALL of the filed documents:
Initial Application
Deed Proof
Variance Request
Engineering Survey/Design
Site Survey (You can see the alternate site they had in mind, right off Park instead of Ridgeway)

As a separate question is it common to see Superchargers setup with 1A/B and 2A/B set as dedicated while 3A/B and 4A/B are just enabled? I assumed they would have all of the "A" connectors as dedicated to help speed up charge times leaving "B"s as enabled. This can be seen on the Engineering Survey document.