Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a Chademo? People often seem to forget to set Plugshare properly and miss the fact that 3 of our Nissan dealerships have recently installed Chademo's, which they allow use of even for Tesla owners. One to the south on I-55, one to the east on I-40, and then one to the northeast.

I can let you use my HPWC if thats what you need. PM me. I am not on plugshare. I am in a safe area, and there's ~ 3 hotels within 1.5 miles of my house but none actually nearby (look for intersection of Poplar and Mendenhall).
You need a CHAdeMO adapter for Nissan.

Looks like all went well at the Board of Adjustment meeting yesterday. The minutes from the meeting aren't available yet so we can't see the vote tally but the staff report recommended approval with 3 minor conditions (mostly landscaping and not to deviate from the submitted plans). Now to keep an eye out for a construction permit.

Here's the staff report on the permit request
Fantastic. Thanks for posting it. Memphis and Little Rock are 1 and 2 on my wish list. I can make do with Memphis and a little dancing out West.

I think it's actually not bad at all.

The mall half a mile north anchored by target would have been better, closer to 240, but this mall is close enough.

Keeping both Nashville/Brentwood and Jackson/Pearl, ms in range pretty much requires a spot in southeast Memphis near the loop.

I-55 traffic can can come around the north loop (40). It's about the same time and distance.

I live just east of this neighborhood, and it's a straight shot down ridgeway to 385.

I drove to Wisconsin over the weekend from Memphis, and saw a bunch of supercharger sites. I think this is better than average.

Spot on, based upon my my travels using SC, I believe they have found a good location to bridge all the interstate connections and to provide the users with lots of options while charging.

Seems like an odd location. West Memphis, AK would have made more sense combined with Jackson, TN to get a location between Nashville and West Memphis, AK.

This location is pretty far from Nashville and doesn't really cover I-55 very easily, without going a fair amount out of the way.

Jackson TN is next, so the gap to Nashville will be manageable. I don't think W Memphis was ever on the map, Little Rock maybe.
I believe some of the considerations are for having Memphis on the map for tourists purposes. There were 2 Nashville locations listed a while back to accommodate the I40 route, but I don't know if that is still the plan.
In all the SC I have visited travels to NY and Canada, this is a very good location tying in all the interstates and tied to shopping.

Jackson TN is next, so the gap to Nashville will be manageable. I don't think W Memphis was ever on the map, Little Rock maybe.
I believe some of the considerations are for having Memphis on the map for tourists purposes. There were 2 Nashville locations listed a while back to accommodate the I40 route, but I don't know if that is still the plan.
In all the SC I have visited travels to NY and Canada, this is a very good location tying in all the interstates and tied to shopping.

Disagree think they needs something west of Memphis. This location results in people heading west coming from the north to drive about 1 hour out of their way (30 minutes to charger and 30 minutes return). So people coming from Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. heading to Little Rock, Texas, west in general need extra juice (and time) to get to SC and extra juice (and time) when they leave the charger.

Reactions: PtG62901
Disagree think they needs something west of Memphis. This location results in people heading west coming from the north to drive about 1 hour out of their way (30 minutes to charger and 30 minutes return). So people coming from Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. heading to Little Rock, Texas, west in general need extra juice (and time) to get to SC and extra juice (and time) when they leave the charger.
There is sure a lot of traffic coming down 55 and heading West at Memphis. For me, it is an hour round trip out of the way to the charger. Bummer. Hopefully, they will fill in 40 through Arkansas this year, then into Texas, and next year will open a store in Memphis and fill out the area. Happy to give them a couple of years to get W. Memphis going. lol

Don't disagree with the need, but referring to the Supercharger map at Tesla website, no W Memphis SC planned. They are supposed to be finished at the end of 2016. Of course, they can change their minds.
Supercharger | Tesla

Don't disagree with the need, but referring to the Supercharger map at Tesla website, no W Memphis SC planned. They are supposed to be finished at the end of 2016. Of course, they can change their minds.
Supercharger | Tesla
No, Tesla is not supposed to be finished building superchargers at the end of 2016. It's just that the projected map only goes through 2016.

Supercharger | Tesla
If you took a snapshot of the SC Map last year, you would see a some of the same Superchargers that were supposed to be built by the end of 2015. In 2015, Tesla was supposed to build Superchargers on I-30 out of Dallas and I-40 to Memphis. We need Superchargers in Texarkana and Little Rock to be able to drive from Dallas to Memphis.

Reactions: PtG62901
No, Tesla is not supposed to be finished building superchargers at the end of 2016. It's just that the projected map only goes through 2016.
I am sure they will be adding and removing locations, they are mostly leased. It's likely they will have changes.
However, their goal will be set by the end of 2016, as outlined on the Supercharger map. Once they have their target met, that commitment is complete.
What incentive do they have to go beyond that point?
IMO, if they intended to go past 2016, the Supercharger map would have a 2017 tab on the map.
My guess, if a location is not complete by 2016, it would carry over to 2017.
If you have some info from Tesla, regarding the further expansion of the Supercharger map, I would love to see it.

It would be a mistake to treat the Supercharger map as some sort of Tesla gospel, IMO, either for number of SCs or their future locations. Tesla has repeatedly shown that they do not rigorously hold to clearly stated goals and deadlines, so I don't know why one would expect more out of fuzzy dots on a map.

It would be a mistake to treat the Supercharger map as some sort of Tesla gospel, IMO, either for number of SCs or their future locations. Tesla has repeatedly shown that they do not rigorously hold to clearly stated goals and deadlines, so I don't know why one would expect more out of fuzzy dots on a map.

I don't think that deadlines matter, but I do think Tesla will do what needs to be done. Connecting Memphis to Texas and Florida, needs to happen. Like the guys who want 10 connecting the whole country, we Mid-South people want 40 to connect. Sooner or later it will, hopefully before the Model 3 ships.

Not sure if we are talking in circles, but all the locations on the Tesla 2016 Supercharger map, illustrate the Superchargers connecting I30 to I40 via Texarkana as well as Texas to Florida.
The big question is, will they complete them by the end of 2016, as the map illustrates. If there are legal issues in Arkansas, that might explaing the delay there.
I understand they are not meeting the goals of the maps in previous years, but their goal of 98% will be achieved once the existing dots are meeting the 2016 map goal.

However, their goal will be set by the end of 2016, as outlined on the Supercharger map. Once they have their target met, that commitment is complete.
What incentive do they have to go beyond that point?
IMO, if they intended to go past 2016, the Supercharger map would have a 2017 tab on the map.

At the Tesla 3 launch event Tesla committed to expanding the SC network significantly. That is their motivation, to support the new car they will sell in relatively large numbers.

Dates on maps are not the same as the commitment made at the launch event. Don't read too much into the maps and projections.

Reactions: jdo
You need a CHAdeMO adapter for Nissan.
if i might clarify - you need a CHAdeMO adapter for CHAdeMO's everywhere ... not just at the Nissan dealerships. CHAdeMO chargers are found all over the landscape now days - strip malls, hotels, Kia dealerships - Mitsubishi corporate offices, restaurants, etc. Moreover, a large contingent of CHAdeMO's at Nissan dealers are run by 3rd parties. That has good & bad ramifications. The good, for example is that the more it gets used (BY ANYONE's EV) the more the unit pays for itself. Usage means the dealers typically don't give a rip WHAT kind of vehicle is plugged in - so you don't have to come begging to use "the dealership's" charger.
The bad - when/if the unit is down, the dealership often won't give a rip, because it's not their problem. Additionally, some of the Nissan units are throttled down to about 1/2 the power level of units located at other places. That happens more frequently in areas with expensive electricity rates under business "demand fee" structures. Typically if any one device can pull >25kW's - they'll sock it to the facility. If a location already pays demand fees, it's less of an issue because the facility is already paying dearly for power.

Last edited: