Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As according to post #154, "The construction superintendent projects completion date of Nov 25th, but has a goal of Nov 1st."

Awesome! I just bought an S85 yesterday and Memphis is one of my areas. From Birmingham, Memphis and North Alabama are going to be tough without superchargers. I guess I am going to have to get the CHAdeMO adapter until the infrastructure is in place.

CHAdeMO is great to have if you are in an area without superchargers. If you are familiar with Bjørn Nyland and his many Tesla videos from Norway, he says "CHAdeMO Rocks!" Tesla's adapter is reasonably priced considering what is needed to handle the high current and different communication protocols. Tesla also had to do a ton of work to test it with all the CHAdeMO chargers. It took years.

While CHAdeMO is much better than L2 charging, you can never count on a given charger being operational and not in use when you arrive. Always have a backup plan.

GSP

Reactions: Ric2014
I am curious - you heading along I-55? Is your destination Memphis, or is it along the way? What are your thoughts on the length of detour from I-55 (12 miles each way from I-55 and I-240 intersection, which most times of day should take at least 20 minutes and during rush hour closer to 45 minutes, each way)?
I go to Memphis sometimes (St Louis is an hour closer), but really I want to go see family in Little Rock and Hot Springs. I have a 90D, can charge at either destination, on a 220 situation. Memphis is a critical link from St Louis to Florida, or West.

You are correct, I would much prefer West Memphis, in a gas station parking lot, with a burger stand, baskin robbins, and great access from 40 and 55. The location Tesla has is much classier, I have eaten in that shopping area, but man it is out of the way. I don't want to do the round trip out East, but this is reality today. Hopefully, they will add a West Memphis supercharger sometime? I assume Tesla choose the location because that is where the money is in Memphis?

Reactions: thx1139
IMG_3241.JPG

Stopped by late AM today; around here that's known as 'church time' so no work going on. They've made further progress; I'd guess they're right on schedule to open in 2 more weeks, pending transformer issues. I have lots of new photos which I may post once I've had a chance to make sure they're worth posting.

Looks like all underground work is completed except at the pole, fill placed but not yet packed. Then concrete. As previously shown, 2 of the switching stations and 4 chargers standing by, ready to be unpacked and installed.
More likely they want a safe location. Their SC's are in service 24/7 and they don't want loiterers harassing the owners. I've never heard any reports of crime around SC's. I bet that Tesla reviews the crime stats before siting a SC.
Both Truckee-1 and Hawthorne have had crime problems. Not to discount your point.

Reactions: PtG62901
Given enough time major metropolitan areas will have Superchargers located near the most heavily traveled routes in and out of the city.
I agree with you. If you are traveling East or West on I-10 in Houston, you had to drive 20 miles North to get to the Supercharger. They just recently completed a SC in Channeview TX about 15 miles East of Houston on I-10.

View attachment 198835
Stopped by late AM today; around here that's known as 'church time' so no work going on. They've made further progress; I'd guess they're right on schedule to open in 2 more weeks, pending transformer issues. I have lots of new photos which I may post once I've had a chance to make sure they're worth posting.

Looks like all underground work is completed except at the pole, fill placed but not yet packed. Then concrete. As previously shown, 2 of the switching stations and 4 chargers standing by, ready to be unpacked and installed.

Both Truckee-1 and Hawthorne have had crime problems. Not to discount your point.

Please Keep the pictures coming I love the progress on this site. The location for this supercharger is on the normal path I take from Houston to Michigan. It will be used by me whenever I make the trip so I am looking forward to its completion

I agree with you. If you are traveling East or West on I-10 in Houston, you had to drive 20 miles North to get to the Supercharger. They just recently completed a SC in Channeview TX about 15 miles East of Houston on I-10.
Having traveled to NY/Canada 2 times, the new Memphis SC location distance from I55 is not bad at all just 10 miles each way. Many times I have had to travel more than 10 miles to get to a SC that was not on my route.
Nashville comes to mind, that location, when traveling along I40 takes you 12 miles each way out your way.

Reactions: freefaller1985
I feel sure I am leaving something out and may not be using correct terms, but here are the basics to watch for when following construction of a supercharger site. There will be cabling laid connecting battery packs to mounts at the location of the individual charging stations. All of that is covered by concrete basically making a slab. The individual charging stations are prefabricated and fitted to the mounts. The prefab battery packs are connected with prefab inverters to convert AC from the grid to DC to go into the packs. Usually the battery packs and inverters are enclosed in a fence. The inverters are connected to the grid through a transformer and there is a meter showing how much electricity is being used. So the subjects for the photographs are as follows: The cabling and the concreter slab enclosing it. Usually first and appears to be what is being built in the pictures at this site so far. The mounts for the charging stations and the charging stations. The inverters and battery packs and the fence enclosing them. The meter and the transformer. So when you take photographs at the site include whatever of these items are present as time goes on and you will give a pretty accurate picture of the rate of progress of construction. As construction ends, there are more nuanced things which can be spotted from these photographs. I posted pretty extensive photographs when I tracked construction at Shreveport; you might want to refer to that threadl

The fastest construction crew Tesla uses appears to be the one out of Mandeville, LA, which completed Shreveport in about two weeks. One delay which sometimes happens is caused by the power company delaying installing the transformer. Usually green and on a separate slab on the ground it is sometimes some distance from the rest of the site's equipment as in Alexandria LA (about half a block).

Reactions: jozegovich
I feel sure I am leaving something out and may not be using correct terms, but here are the basics to watch for when following construction of a supercharger site. There will be cabling laid connecting battery packs to mounts at the location of the individual charging stations. All of that is covered by concrete basically making a slab. The individual charging stations are prefabricated and fitted to the mounts. The prefab battery packs are connected with prefab inverters to convert AC from the grid to DC to go into the packs. Usually the battery packs and inverters are enclosed in a fence. The inverters are connected to the grid through a transformer and there is a meter showing how much electricity is being used. So the subjects for the photographs are as follows: The cabling and the concreter slab enclosing it. Usually first and appears to be what is being built in the pictures at this site so far. The mounts for the charging stations and the charging stations. The inverters and battery packs and the fence enclosing them. The meter and the transformer. So when you take photographs at the site include whatever of these items are present as time goes on and you will give a pretty accurate picture of the rate of progress of construction. As construction ends, there are more nuanced things which can be spotted from these photographs. I posted pretty extensive photographs when I tracked construction at Shreveport; you might want to refer to that threadl

The fastest construction crew Tesla uses appears to be the one out of Mandeville, LA, which completed Shreveport in about two weeks. One delay which sometimes happens is caused by the power company delaying installing the transformer. Usually green and on a separate slab on the ground it is sometimes some distance from the rest of the site's equipment as in Alexandria LA (about half a block).
Good info, thanks!

While that is quite comprehensive, there is something that should be corrected. You frequently mention battery packs. Out of the many hundreds of Supercharger stations around the world, you can count on one hand the number of sites that have battery packs. It's only about 2 or 3 of them I think. The VAST majority do not.

While that is quite comprehensive, there is something that should be corrected. You frequently mention battery packs. Out of the many hundreds of Supercharger stations around the world, you can count on one hand the number of sites that have battery packs. It's only about 2 or 3 of them I think. The VAST majority do not.

My understanding is that the usually fenced in part of the supercharger site contains inverters to convert the AC from the grid to DC where it is then stored in battery packs. When a car is charged, DC electricity is transferred from the site's battery packs directly into the car's packs. What is your understanding?