TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Menlo Service Center Will Be Closing / Dividing Into Two

Discussion in 'California' started by Owner, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Owner

Owner Active Member

I have been going to the Tesla Menlo Park service center for four years now. All of my interactions have been wonderful. They will be closing however! From what I understand the first reason is that Stanford owns the property and is going to build some additional facilities. If you are on the San Francisco Peninsula, you probably have noticed a lot of Stanford buildings pop up far off campus. There are some facilities off of 101 and even some in the Stanford Shopping Center.

The second reason I have heard is that a lot of their customers are in Santa Clara county, so they will need a service facility farther south. Menlo Park will be divided into a service center in Sunnyvale near Wolfe Road and El Camino on the site of an old Infiniti car dealership, and the other service center will be in Burlingame. Menlo Park is much more convenient for me than either of these locations.

I do want to give a thank you to everyone who was helped me over the years and treated me so kindly! :biggrin:

May be relevant information for folks deciding on whether or not to buy ranger service up front.

Cross posted from here.

2. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

When will this change be happening?

3. Owner

Owner Active Member

Good question, I don't know.

4. Zextraterrestrial

#4 Zextraterrestrial, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    I heard there will be a San Rafael Service soon. that is 'close' to me :wink: (still like 260 miles)

aha.. corrected...

it wasn't open when I had a handle replaced.

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

San Rafael is open, Steve and Matt are there and they have 1 tech last time I visited, hiring and training more.

6. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I'll miss the Menlo Park Service location. I feel a little nostalgic about it. My Roadster info screen says 'Assembled in Menlo Park' i.e. where the important Tesla stuff was installed. It's as close to the factory as the Roadsters ever had.

But Fremont, San Rafael, and Burlingame would all be a little easier for me.

7. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Going further south ... will that not get too close to Santana Row?

For those unfamiliar with Menlo, this is a pic I took when there 2 weeks ago - as a tourist!

It was unusual as it's a service center and showroom in one.

Attached Files:

8. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Sometimes a museum too - I've seen beta prototypes and early models of Roadster and Model S there.

9. gsxrex

gsxrex Member

Sunnyvale works out awesome for me as I work near the 101-237-Milpitas clusterf**k. I'm guessing it would be service only.

Guess I should go to Menlo Park just to say I've been. haha

On another note, I got an RSVP to a Tesla event tomorrow evening for the grand opening of the expansion at Santana Row. So lots of changes going on in the Bay Area.

10. Owner

Owner Active Member

Well then there was San Carlos. My Roadster is quite a bit older than yours, and was built in San Carlos pre Menlo Park.

11. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Glad I visited when I was in the bay area ... I would say of the half dozen "showrooms" I have been to, it was the nicest in terms of layout; the two staffers I talked to were great too.
    But when have we not talked to great staffers?
    Factory was the best part of my trip!

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'll miss Menlo... did my Roadster test drive there, and visited a few times over the years. And I live 4,600 kilometers away...

13. byt

byt Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :( :( :( I am right here! Don't go away! I'm gonna cry! :(

14. Owner

Owner Active Member

So sweet. Couldn't find an icon that had a little tear on it.... ; {

15. PureAmps

PureAmps Model S P85 (#2817)

#15 PureAmps, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    I'm personally excited about the Sunnyvale location. I've not had a great experience scheduling with the Menlo Park service center because they are just way too busy, so I've been going to Fremont which has its challenges as well because they handle new vehicle delivery prep. Unfortunately, there are just way too many Teslas on the road these days... ;)

16. Malasada

Malasada Member

Appreciate the heads up, Owner, this will actually will impact my decision on getting the ranger option (live far from either proposed option but work very close to the Menlo Park store now...ugh). Echoing Pure Amps, hopefully it will add to the overall available service slots. Called last week to get a couple of non-critical (but highly annoying personally) things addressed and Menlo noted that at the time there was a two week wait for service.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

:crying: ....

18. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

I live less than a mile from the Menlo Park showroom/service center and will miss having it here. There is fairly significant local opposition to Stanford's expansion plans but Tesla has already decided to go. I've tried asking multiple staff members there about their timeline but they either don't know or aren't saying.

19. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

That's too bad. Menlo Park must have one of the highest number of Model S owners per square mile. Driving around downtown you will spot several on any given day.

20. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Santana Row doesn't have a service center.

Sunnyvale will be nice. Much closer for me.