Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mennekes cable won’t plug into car charging port.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

15Peter20

Supporting Member
Oct 26, 2020
Norfolk
Anybody else had this? The blue Mennekes cable refuses to go more than a few mm into the charging receptacle. The connector itself looks ok and it will happily plug into the other end of itself. I can’t tell whether it’s hanging up around the periphery or whether the contacts are misaligned.

Home CCS, supercharger and the 13A charger all connect just fine.

Some of the copper sockets are slightly misaligned but I’m pretty sure they are supposed to float a little.

Is there a feature in the moulding that tells the car what type of cable is being inserted? Could this have been damaged?

My understanding is that the only feature is the latch which is common across connectors.

I noticed some stiffness with my Tesla wall connector back during the freezing weather and wonder whether something got damaged then.

It does sound like it might be the car end of your Mennekes cable as other cables that you connect into the car are OK. Trying someone else's cable would prove or disprove that theory. have you tried shining a torch into the car end of the cable to see if there is small stone or something lodged in there?

If he's already tried the UMC (13A) then this is a problem with the type 2 cable. Compare it with the UMC connector to see if there are any differences or post a pic of both for us to have a look. Also check your Wall connector for any missing bits that may have found their way into the socket or Type 2 plug.

Hmm.
I popped into Northampton Service Centre to try my cable in one of their cars. It went in just fine.
The problem looks to be a damaged or contaminated terminal. This is my charging port compared to a known good one.
it looks as though a charging lead has left its socket in my charging port. My wall connector is fine, so it’s a bit of a mystery where the piece came from.

A firm tug with some pin nosed pliers didn’t shift it.

Odd that my wall connector, 13A connector and Supercharger all connect without problem.

Attachments

• 30528CC9-82EF-4C1B-AE26-AFF8474D3764.jpeg
    30528CC9-82EF-4C1B-AE26-AFF8474D3764.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 0B48A1CC-2B99-4FB3-B098-939918EB47B6.jpeg
    0B48A1CC-2B99-4FB3-B098-939918EB47B6.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 85
Could the piece actually be from your wall connector ... so it all fits together with the wall connector when pushed in, but doesn't come out with the wall connector plug so leaves an extra piece that fouls any other cable connector?
All present and correct at the wall end.

Edit: on closer inspection that’s not the case. It looks as though the terminal is in two parts, presumably an inner spring which has become detached.

That’s a bugger. I need to get both fixed at the same time otherwise I’ll probably be unable to use my wall connector once the piece is extracted from the charging port.

Attachments

• 9D717440-F928-4E3A-9D95-623E46ACEA45.jpeg
    9D717440-F928-4E3A-9D95-623E46ACEA45.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Does the manual release work?
I've not tried. This has been happening more and more frequently over a number of weeks, along side getting warnings in the car about the charge port not latched. If I was stuck somewhere then yes I'd use the release. Tesla have been particularly interested in when it started and how often it happens. But it's permanent now so mobile service due on Wednesday.

Reactions: 15Peter20
I've not tried. This has been happening more and more frequently over a number of weeks, along side getting warnings in the car about the charge port not latched. If I was stuck somewhere then yes I'd use the release. Tesla have been particularly interested in when it started and how often it happens. But it's permanent now so mobile service due on Wednesday.
After speaking with mobile service technician it's been decided it would be best to go into the service centre for the charge port to be replaced under warranty, rebooked for later in the week.

Reactions: MrBadger
All present and correct at the wall end.

Edit: on closer inspection that’s not the case. It looks as though the terminal is in two parts, presumably an inner spring which has become detached.

That’s a bugger. I need to get both fixed at the same time otherwise I’ll probably be unable to use my wall connector once the piece is extracted from the charging port.
I'm surprised you can't pull out the offending part from your charge port. Perhaps squeezing the pliers enough to grasp it, but not enough to squeeze them onto the pin?

Reactions: NewbieT