Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mennekes Type 2 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a US Spec Tesla Model S. There are no SuperChargers in Lithuania, and the majority of chargers that ARE available are Mennekes/Type 2.

I believe European Spec Teslas all support Mennekes/Type 2 by default. But since mine is from the US, I specifically need an adapter.

Does anyone know where to buy one? Or how to make one?

I have a Type 1 (J1772) adapter now. Perhaps there is a Type 2 -> Type 1 adapter? But I rather not use multiple adapters if possible.

Anyone in the same situation? I think anyone with a US spec Tesla in Europe must have the same issues as me.

There have been several people with similar questions. I wonder if anybody knows how much it would cost to convert US-style charge port to European-style? Seems to me that would be the most practical option because you'd then be able to use almost all typical European Superchargers and L2. Of course I think I do remember that a handful of countries deploy non-standard pin logic.

As far as I know there is no adapter extant or planned for US port to European Supercharger, or even to standard Mennekes 2.

randvegeta,

Many European cars have type1 inlets. Owners buy Type 2 to Type 1 cables, and use the Type 2 outlets on the charging stations. These cables are readily available and allow charging on one of the three phases offered on Type 2 outlets.

Since you have the Tesla J1772 adapter, you can use it with a Type 2 to Type 1 cable. J1772 is exactly the same as Type 1.

Unfortunately there is no easy solution to allow use of the European Type 2 Superchargers. That would take major changes to a US spec car. However, you can buy a US spec Tesla Chademo adapter and charge at European Chademo DC Fast Chargers.

Good Luck,

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
randvegeta,

Many European cars have type1 inlets. Owners buy Type 2 to Type 1 cables, and use the Type 2 outlets on the charging stations. These cables are readily available and allow charging on one of the three phases offered on Type 2 outlets.

Since you have the Tesla J1772 adapter, you can use it with a Type 2 to Type 1 cable. J1772 is exactly the same as Type 1.

Unfortunately there is no easy solution to allow use of the European Type 2 Superchargers. That would take major changes to a US spec car. However, you can buy a US spec Tesla Chademo adapter and charge at European Chademo DC Fast Chargers.

Good Luck,

GSP
But, how about changing the US-spec port to a Euro-spec port. They regularly change them under warranty. Why one one to another, or is it more complex than that?

randvegeta,

Good Luck,

GSP

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I already have the Chademo adapter and I am able to charge at a fairly respectable rate (150km/h) but there are only few in my country (Lithuania). The Type 2 outlet is far more common. As far I am aware, it offers a maximum output of 22kw, or about 110km/h. But that assumes 3 phase charging, which my US Spec Tesla does not support, so I would get a maximum of 1/3 that, which would be around 7kw, or about 33km/h. Very slow, but useful in an emergency.

So I need to get an adapter for my J1772 adapter... Do you know where one may find some decent adapters for sale?

But, how about changing the US-spec port to a Euro-spec port.......

The Type 2 to Type 1 cable takes care of that. It connects the J1772 Type 1 inlet on Tesla's adapter to a European Type 2 outlet. In Europe the 22 kW and under charging stations have outlets, and EV owners carry their own cables. The 44 kW AC, and DC Fast charge stations have an attached cable and plug like all the charging stations in North America do.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I already have the Chademo adapter and I am able to charge at a fairly respectable rate (150km/h) but there are only few in my country (Lithuania). The Type 2 outlet is far more common. As far I am aware, it offers a maximum output of 22kw, or about 110km/h. But that assumes 3 phase charging, which my US Spec Tesla does not support, so I would get a maximum of 1/3 that, which would be around 7kw, or about 33km/h. Very slow, but useful in an emergency.

So I need to get an adapter for my J1772 adapter... Do you know where one may find some decent adapters for sale?

There are many sources. Here is one that comes up when google:

Type 1 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable | EV Cables

The car will only use one of the three phases, but 7 kW from a 22 kW outlet will be fine for overnight charging at least. Otherwise you will have to hope for a Chademo Charger.

Good Luck,

GSP

There are many online vendors for the Type-2 to Type-1 (J1772) cable you need. The link above at EV Cables is good. This one is also in UK. EVconnectors.com
Also in Italy: e-Station Store

Make sure to get a 32 amp cable. You will be tempted by the lower price of the 16 amp cable, but just get the 32 amp one. You won't regret it.

One thing to note is that these cables are for socketed stations. I don't know of any adapter for a Type-2 station with a captive cord to allow plugging in a J1772 vehicle.

I think that only the 64 Amp, 44 kW, Type-2 stations have a captive cord.

Tesla Roadster owners in the UK modified their Type-1 to Type-2 cables by removing a few mm (5-10 mm?) from the Type-2 plug with a hacksaw. That allowed them to plug into the captive cable just like an 11- 22 kW outlet, allowing 64 Amp single phase charging. I guess they found 64 Amp cables somewhere. When the authorities found out they made them quit, so not recommended.

GSP

I have a US Spec Tesla Model S. There are no SuperChargers in Lithuania, and the majority of chargers that ARE available are Mennekes/Type 2.

I believe European Spec Teslas all support Mennekes/Type 2 by default. But since mine is from the US, I specifically need an adapter.

Does anyone know where to buy one? Or how to make one?

I have a Type 1 (J1772) adapter now. Perhaps there is a Type 2 -> Type 1 adapter? But I rather not use multiple adapters if possible.

Anyone in the same situation? I think anyone with a US spec Tesla in Europe must have the same issues as me.
I see this post is one year old, I am wondering if you found a 3 phase type2 port for US tesla. I also have a US tesla and drive it in Europe. The on-board charger is 3 phase, but for US cars have all 3 phases connected together. All you need is an EU tesla charge port with the cables which are thinner. I have to look in the manual to see if they go directly to the charger or to the high voltage junction box. I was looking for parts from damaged model S in Europe, but never found any. All the parts I needed I have got from US. By the way, have you managed to load the EU maps for navigation? Have you made the radio tunner to receive all the European frequencies?

I see this post is one year old, I am wondering if you found a 3 phase type2 port for US tesla. I also have a US tesla and drive it in Europe. The on-board charger is 3 phase, but for US cars have all 3 phases connected together. All you need is an EU tesla charge port with the cables which are thinner. I have to look in the manual to see if they go directly to the charger or to the high voltage junction box. I was looking for parts from damaged model S in Europe, but never found any. All the parts I needed I have got from US. By the way, have you managed to load the EU maps for navigation? Have you made the radio tunner to receive all the European frequencies?
I have gen1 chargers, so they are not 3 phase. They are 10kw 1phase each. HVJB is also gen1, and does not have relays for all 3 phase. Currently I am working on a setup with a modified EU gen2 hvjb and 3 gen1 chargers connected on each phase. I also intend to replace the us port with EU port connected to that modified hvjb. For you, as you have gen2, replacing the charging port and redeploy software is all you need to do. Regarding US radio tuner, it is not capable of receiving all the frequencies, so if you really want that, you need to replace the tuner module with EU version. But you can listen to tunein instead. It has all radio stations from my country.

Hello All. I am not so sure that there would be any modifications. The supercharger stations inthe US also use all 3 phases to charge so fast. Therefore, based on this news article I think only an adapter is required and not a bunch of modifications would be required. I could be wrong..
A rare Tesla Model 3 spotted in Germany, reportedly with new charging adapter
No, supercharger uses DC, + and -, not AC.It is the same in US and EU. Only the connectors are different.

I have gen1 chargers, so they are not 3 phase. They are 10kw 1phase each. HVJB is also gen1, and does not have relays for all 3 phase. Currently I am working on a setup with a modified EU gen2 hvjb and 3 gen1 chargers connected on each phase. I also intend to replace the us port with EU port connected to that modified hvjb. For you, as you have gen2, replacing the charging port and redeploy software is all you need to do. Regarding US radio tuner, it is not capable of receiving all the frequencies, so if you really want that, you need to replace the tuner module with EU version. But you can listen to tunein instead. It has all radio stations from my country.