TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Mennekes Type 2 Adapter

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by randvegeta, Dec 25, 2016.

1. randvegeta

randvegeta Member

I have a US Spec Tesla Model S. There are no SuperChargers in Lithuania, and the majority of chargers that ARE available are Mennekes/Type 2.

I believe European Spec Teslas all support Mennekes/Type 2 by default. But since mine is from the US, I specifically need an adapter.

Does anyone know where to buy one? Or how to make one?

I have a Type 1 (J1772) adapter now. Perhaps there is a Type 2 -> Type 1 adapter? But I rather not use multiple adapters if possible.

Anyone in the same situation? I think anyone with a US spec Tesla in Europe must have the same issues as me.

• Like x 1
  2. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

There have been several people with similar questions. I wonder if anybody knows how much it would cost to convert US-style charge port to European-style? Seems to me that would be the most practical option because you'd then be able to use almost all typical European Superchargers and L2. Of course I think I do remember that a handful of countries deploy non-standard pin logic.

As far as I know there is no adapter extant or planned for US port to European Supercharger, or even to standard Mennekes 2.

3. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Yes, there is a Mennekes to Tesla (US / Japan) adaptor available.

4. GSP

GSP Member

randvegeta,

Many European cars have type1 inlets. Owners buy Type 2 to Type 1 cables, and use the Type 2 outlets on the charging stations. These cables are readily available and allow charging on one of the three phases offered on Type 2 outlets.

Since you have the Tesla J1772 adapter, you can use it with a Type 2 to Type 1 cable. J1772 is exactly the same as Type 1.

Unfortunately there is no easy solution to allow use of the European Type 2 Superchargers. That would take major changes to a US spec car. However, you can buy a US spec Tesla Chademo adapter and charge at European Chademo DC Fast Chargers.

Good Luck,

GSP

• Informative x 1
  5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

But, how about changing the US-spec port to a Euro-spec port. They regularly change them under warranty. Why one one to another, or is it more complex than that?

6. Mark E

Mark E Member

I suspect that the chargers are also different seeing as 3 phase is very common outside of the US

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

It is not as simple as changing charge ports. The North American port has 2 HV cables running to the on board chargers while the Euro port has 4 HV cables running to the on board chargers.

8. randvegeta

randvegeta Member

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I already have the Chademo adapter and I am able to charge at a fairly respectable rate (150km/h) but there are only few in my country (Lithuania). The Type 2 outlet is far more common. As far I am aware, it offers a maximum output of 22kw, or about 110km/h. But that assumes 3 phase charging, which my US Spec Tesla does not support, so I would get a maximum of 1/3 that, which would be around 7kw, or about 33km/h. Very slow, but useful in an emergency.

So I need to get an adapter for my J1772 adapter... Do you know where one may find some decent adapters for sale?

9. Mark E

Mark E Member

Contact these guys to confirm what you are trying to do.
    Cables - EVnomics

They can most likely make something that will help.

10. GSP

GSP Member

The Type 2 to Type 1 cable takes care of that. It connects the J1772 Type 1 inlet on Tesla's adapter to a European Type 2 outlet. In Europe the 22 kW and under charging stations have outlets, and EV owners carry their own cables. The 44 kW AC, and DC Fast charge stations have an attached cable and plug like all the charging stations in North America do.

There are many sources. Here is one that comes up when google:

Type 1 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable | EV Cables

The car will only use one of the three phases, but 7 kW from a 22 kW outlet will be fine for overnight charging at least. Otherwise you will have to hope for a Chademo Charger.

Good Luck,

GSP

11. miimura

miimura Active Member

EVnomics makes the opposite adapter to what this guy needs. Any European EVSE and cable supplier carries the cable this guy needs.

12. miimura

miimura Active Member

There are many online vendors for the Type-2 to Type-1 (J1772) cable you need. The link above at EV Cables is good. This one is also in UK. EVconnectors.com
    Also in Italy: e-Station Store

Make sure to get a 32 amp cable. You will be tempted by the lower price of the 16 amp cable, but just get the 32 amp one. You won't regret it.

One thing to note is that these cables are for socketed stations. I don't know of any adapter for a Type-2 station with a captive cord to allow plugging in a J1772 vehicle.

13. GSP

GSP Member

I think that only the 64 Amp, 44 kW, Type-2 stations have a captive cord.

Tesla Roadster owners in the UK modified their Type-1 to Type-2 cables by removing a few mm (5-10 mm?) from the Type-2 plug with a hacksaw. That allowed them to plug into the captive cable just like an 11- 22 kW outlet, allowing 64 Amp single phase charging. I guess they found 64 Amp cables somewhere. When the authorities found out they made them quit, so not recommended.

GSP