Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Merc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
BBCA's TG the other night had Hammond driving in a Lambo Merc and having a great time in it. Then he spent 4 minutes of the show trying to put the soft top on with some Italian locals. Ha Ha.

Oh, I don't like "Merc" as an abbreviation... Mercedes? Mercury?

Or did you mean to say "Murc" as is Murciélago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Big Earl
Oh, I don't like "Merc" as an abbreviation... Mercedes? Mercury?

Or did you mean to say "Murc" as is Muciélago?

I think you meant Murciélago, otherwise it would be a "Muc" For a while I'd get confused when people would refer to a Mercedes as a "Merc", since that's always meant Mercury to me.

Obviously an egregious faux pas doing a late night opinion post and being too lazy to look up the spelling of an Italian bat.

For a while I'd get confused when people would refer to a Mercedes as a "Merc", since that's always meant Mercury to me.

Yes, exactly. I had a friend move to London and years later he told me he bought a "Merc", and I thought for a moment that he meant Mercury until Top Gear set me straight.

Yes, in the US it is Mercedes or Benz, or maybe even Daimler but not 'Merc'.

By the way, in my mind I was pronouncing "Merc" as Merse (rhymes with "purse") short for the full "Murciélago"

At this time I just beg for Mercy.

Which would have been better shorthand in the first place!

Which is another reason why Brits throwing out "Merc" (pronounced "Murk") for "Mercedes" befuddles us "Yanks" -

We pronounce Mercury like "murk -your - eee"
but Mercedes like "Murse - aid - ease"

So when someone says "murk/merc" we assume Mercury.
If we had to do a nickname for Mercedes it would sound like "murse" not "murk"

Do Brits pronounces Mercedes like "Murk - said - eeze" rather than the US way of saying "Murse - aid - ease"?

:confused:

US: Toe-may-toe
UK: Tom-ah-toe

YST_Logo_jpeg-180x315.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: