Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Merc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old thread, but I just have to comment. As a Canadian, whenever I hear the British vernacular "Merc" (pronounced Merk) in reference to Mercedes, it just drives me nuts. When reading the word, in my head I read "Merss" with the "c" pronounced as an "s" like it should be, not a "k". Since the 1950s in my experience, here in North America "Merc" has always been a Mercury car or outboard motor. This Britishism really grates on my nerves. It's as bad as NASCAR now using the stick-and-ball term term "playoffs".

Old thread, but I just have to comment. As a Canadian, whenever I hear the British vernacular "Merc" (pronounced Merk) in reference to Mercedes, it just drives me nuts. When reading the word, in my head I read "Merss" with the "c" pronounced as an "s" like it should be, not a "k". Since the 1950s in my experience, here in North America "Merc" has always been a Mercury car or outboard motor. This Britishism really grates on my nerves. It's as bad as NASCAR now using the stick-and-ball term term "playoffs".

How did you happen to dig up this old thread?