Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes approved for ACTUAL self driving in the USA. And will accept responsibility.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The “37mph” limitation for UNECE R157 was recently removed. How this affects vehicles, such as the previous approved Mercedes model already approved under 157 I don’t know but is moot in USA as I believe they have opted out of 157.

But if updated type approval is given this may soon filter down to the parts of the world that do subscribe to UNECE R157 and use that as a basis of vehicle type approval which would effectively allow NoA style L3 functionality (ALKS) on restricted highways which would fulfill a significant use case for many.
Germany has just increased the speed limitation to 130 km/h (80 mph). Most likely this happened after consultations with the major German manufacturers and we will soon see cars going that speed with L3.

Germany has just increased the speed limitation to 130 km/h (80 mph). Most likely this happened after consultations with the major German manufacturers and we will soon see cars going that speed with L3.
Its probably the UNECE R157 change, so global harmonised regs for those that choose to adopt them, ie not US. I'm not sure how the European regs work with the UNECE ones - if like UK, we follow UNECE and/or now our own regs rather than European regs, so I guess Europe may have their own regs in addition to UNECE ones? In UK, car needs to meet type approval for either UNECE and/or UK regs, then be on a list of approved vehicles meeting the L3 type approval, of which, at time of writing, there is none, but is early days for higher speed use. I think there needs to be some tests to ensure that vehicle follows UK driving regulations which may be in addition to any harmonised UNECE approval. I'm expecting several systems to gain R157 approval now the limit has been removed and its more than just traffic jam assist so much more useful.

I can't imagine anywhere I would like to go in a car that allows and would be acceptable for the car to drive a max of 37mph. Then for me to still have to be in the drivers seat, just in case... I don't think so. Level 4/5 even @ 37mph on the other hand, an urban taxi / chauffeur service becomes viable.

Hyundai is pushing for L3 for this year as well.

Initial speed would be 50 mph (80km/h) but OTA updates could increase it to 75 mph (120 km/h), the maximum legal speed in Korea.

All the people desperate for L3 but also must drive 80+MPH are in for a treat. L3 will not allow you to drive faster than the posted speed limit. You have no control over the car in L3, the car is in total control until it needs to pass it back to you.
I wonder what the overlap is between people who want to go 80+mph in an EV and people who want L3. I like to go 1 or 2 mph below the speed limit, so other cars won’t hang out near me.
I can't imagine anywhere I would like to go in a car that allows and would be acceptable for the car to drive a max of 37mph. Then for me to still have to be in the drivers seat, just in case... I don't think so. Level 4/5 even @ 37mph on the other hand, an urban taxi / chauffeur service becomes viable.
Think of how Autopilot on the highway works now, but when the speed drops below 37 mph (like during a traffic jam), you wouldn’t need to hold the steering wheel or look straight ahead. And when it detects traffic picking up, it gives you a warning to begin holding the wheel again because it’s about to go past 37 mph.

I can't for the life of me find someone that bought the pro pilot in Germany and filmed a video of it after it was launched May 17 2022.
Isn't that a bit strange? Is it all fake, like it's not really released yet?

“Mercedes is the first automaker to receive such approval in the U.S., beating out names like Tesla, General Motors, Ford, and even Honda”
Mercedes has been doing FSD development years before Tesla even dreamt of it. Just so you all know.

Here is one video from 9 years ago

and these from 8 years ago

Taking liability is the ultimate test of how far a company trusts its own system. Still waiting for Tesla to put their stake down. We will continue waiting until (well into) HW4 it seems.
They are going to ride the "beta" subtitle forever because it allows them to skirt accountability. Same way Fortnite is still in beta after half a decade because any bugs can be hand waved away by referencing its beta state.

Reactions: dbldwn02
That means cops will have to be trained to continue to ticket Tesla drivers and not EQS ones while at the speed of 37 mph or below on highways for "distracted driving."
How are cops supposed to know if the EQS driver is operating L3 legally or is in fact distracted driving with the L3 system turned off? I presume there is a mode indicator in the car but that's hardly visible from the outside, and how is the EQS driver supposed to prove it in either case?

Are you legally allowed to use a cellphone, "rest your eyes", read a book etc with the L3 turned on? I can imagine how fun it will be trying to say to the officer "but I had L3 engaged" but having no way to prove it.

Counter argument. Should there be a legally affixed signal light on the roof to say L3 operating?

Reactions: enemji