Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure, but I thought TonyWilliams was working on a CHAdeMO adapter for the Tesla powered Rav and B-Class?
They have finished the development work for the RAV4 EV and are preparing to start installation for the people who put down the large deposit required. I'm glad I committed early because while it was in development we traded in our last ICE car. We leased an e-Golf to hold us over until Model 3. So, the RAV4 EV with CHAdeMO will be our road trip car. With the promised fast charge deployments in California, I think the timing to get this mod will work out well. I have not heard anything about progress on the B-Class version.

I experienced an impressive test ride in a B -Class with another forum member a while back. I thought the Tesla drivetrain and pack were the same in both vehicles? Unfortunately, the Charging Hardware Always de-energized Mostly Offline (CHAdeMO) around here just plain suck and can't be relied upon.

I am 6'7" and have wanted an electric car for years now. My dream car was the Tesla. I drove the B-Class with my wife. It has great head and leg room, good pick up, decent space in the back. Problem was the charging options when not charging at home and the range, 80 miles. On cold days and over time that number will go down and I plan on keeping the car for a while. Nobody will buy that car from me years down the road when it has 50 miles per range in the winter. SOOOO we bought the Tesla and I will go to my grave NOT regretting that, even though I work a couple extra shifts at work in order for it to work out financially.

Hope MB increases range because if they do, but even raise the cost I think they can have a winner. The pick up between the MS and MB is pretty significant even though both are electric, I imagine because of the amount of batteries the MS has.

Looks great, 2 or 3 years ahead of tesla M3. By the time tesla releases the M3 all manufacturers will be ahead of them.

Pretty funny stuff. The Mercedes B-Class ED and 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV share the same first generation Model S drive train. This is easy to find information.

No, a ten year old design vehicle on a multi-fuel platform (diesel, electric, hydrogen, petrol) with a 36kWh Tesla battery and 80-100 mile range sold in very small quantities without any method to quick charge, built to meet emission regulations (so that Mercedes can sell lots of profitable gasoline and diesel cars) is not going to be ahead of a future Tesla Model 3. Sorry.

Both cars were created to meet regulatory compliance for emissions. The RAV4 was only sold in California, period. The B-Class ED is sold in Europe in small numbers, and in the U.S. in handful of states that recognize the California emission rules.

I hear that it's a nicely appointed car with typical Mercedes sturdiness and comfort.

Saw this driving by downtown Mountain View today:
mb1.png

I don't see paying 50 grand for something that looks like a mini-van.

It's a really great car, really poorly sold by dealers. To buy one would be foolhardy (like buying instead of leasing a Leaf - what a BAD decision that was for some with this $7000 buy out bonus!), but you can lease the B for under $300 a month.

Yes, lease a $50,000 car for under $300 a month.

My friend recently got a 2014 on lease for just over $200 a month. Car had under 400 miles, half of which I put on... Lease will end right around the time model 3 should be available.

I recently leased an EV and was willing to pay up to $300/mo with no more than the $2,500 CA state rebate as cash into the deal. If I thought the B-Class would be near that number I would have had my wife look at it. Instead, we leased an e-Golf for $218/mo all-in. She's very happy with the e-Golf.

The B-class seems to be doing okay over here. For the past three months, they've been selling 150-200 per month, which is way better than the BMW i3 and Kia Soul and a bit less than the Nissan Leaf. We'll see if this trend continues though, this may just be pent up demand and batching of deliveries.

The big achillies heel for the B-class is the lack of rapid charging. If it had had rapid charging, it could have become an extremely popular model over here.