Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different tastes.

I think the GLA is an embarrassment to Mercedes. It's tiny, and when compared to the Audi and Porsche it apparently lines up against, it's appalingly ugly. Even bmw's new x3 knocks its socks off. GLA makes me think "Yugo." It seems a slapped together response to those cars.

The B class is a bit dowdy outside still, but much improved over previous iterations. And it's huge inside. Versatile and comfortable for 5. Kind of a mini model x - kind of what I'm hoping the 3 will be.

If Tesla sacrifices size and utility for appearance with the Model 3, I think it'll be a big disappointment for a LOT of people - not just me.

Different tastes.

I think the GLA is an embarrassment to Mercedes. It's tiny, and when compared to the Audi and Porsche it apparently lines up against, it's appalingly ugly. Even bmw's new x3 knocks its socks off. GLA makes me think "Yugo." It seems a slapped together response to those cars.

The B class is a bit dowdy outside still, but much improved over previous iterations. And it's huge inside. Versatile and comfortable for 5. Kind of a mini model x - kind of what I'm hoping the 3 will be.

If Tesla sacrifices size and utility for appearance with the Model 3, I think it'll be a big disappointment for a LOT of people - not just me.

Totally different type of car. It sounds like you want the CUV adaptation of the Model 3, not the sedan version (which will probably be far more CLA like than GLA or B class).

That article is wrong, especially this part is not in the AMS source:

The publication cites that Tesla will still supply batteries to Mercedes-Benz; however, it is not known which vehicle model these supplies will serve.

I don't know what auto translator they used, but this is not what AMS wrote. The original article I linked above says:

1. MB will develop its own drivetrain etc. in-house for the future B-Class EV (ends partnership with Tesla)

2. MB will buy battery cells from third parties (like direct rivals VW and BMW already do), doesn't mention Tesla. (Could be Panasonic, LG Chem, Samsung, SK Innovation...who knows. No suppliers are mentioned in the article).

3. Target range is 500 KM (about 310 miles) without further specifics on test cycles.

PS: This isn't mentioned in the AMS article, but an earlier review states that MB will include fast-charging in the next iteration:

However, we were also told at a B-Class launch event that the next-generation vehicle would include DC fast charging, and Webster echoed that statement, saying, “I would expect that down the road, our other vehicles will offer DC charging.”

Charged EVs | 2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive

Looks like a CCS to me since Daimler is a member of that standard organization.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about replacing my Prius with this EV. Anyone know much about the car?
Thanks!

That's quite a wide range of info that you want, and you wan to compare it to your Prius?

1) RANGE
Prius, hundreds of miles
Mercedes, about 100 miles

2) REFUEL TIME
Prius, 5 minutes anywhere worldwide with petroleum products
Mercedes, 3.5 hours with 50 amp / 240 volt wall electrical outlet (your electrician will have to install this, extra cost) and a 40 amp capable charge cord (extra cost, about $1000)

3) SIZE
Mercedes has more interior room by a significant measure

4) POWER
Mercedes has more power for acceleration by a significant margin

5) COST
Prius is far less costly to purchase

6) TOTAL COST OF OPERATION
a. Per Mile Cost - Prius with gasoline at $3 per gallon and 50mpg consumption rate = 6 cents per mile
Mercedes at 12 cents per kWh (national average, can vary widely) and 3 miles per kWh consumption rate = 4 cents per mile

b. Depreciation / Lease Payment Costs - all over the place... you'll have to compare real numbers. The Mercedes can be leased for around $400 per month for 36 months, or about $14,400 plus your local taxes and fees. The Prius can be leased for much less.

c. Maintenance Costs - if both are within warranty, only the Prius will have oil change costs. One special note: Mercedes annual checkup cost is the ripoff of a lifetime. I would take the car elsewhere for normal service (replace cabin air filter, rotate tires, check windshield washer fluid, etc). Only bring it to Mercedes dealers if there is NO OTHER CHOICE.

Last edited:
That's quite a wide range of info that you want, and you wan to compare it to your Prius?

1) RANGE
Prius, hundreds of miles
Mercedes, about 100 miles

2) REFUEL TIME
Prius, 5 minutes anywhere worldwide with petroleum products
Mercedes, 3.5 hours with 50 amp / 240 volt wall electrical outlet (your electrician will have to install this, extra cost) and a 40 amp capable charge cord (extra cost, about $1000)

3) SIZE
Mercedes has more interior room by a significant measure

4) POWER
Mercedes has more power for acceleration by a significant margin

5) COST
Prius is far less costly to purchase

6) TOTAL COST OF OPERATION
a. Per Mile Cost - Prius with gasoline at $3 per gallon and 50mpg consumption rate = 6 cents per mile
Mercedes at 12 cents per kWh (national average, can vary widely) and 3 miles per kWh consumption rate = 4 cents per mile

b. Depreciation / Lease Payment Costs - all over the place... you'll have to compare real numbers. The Mercedes can be leased for around $400 per month for 36 months, or about $14,400 plus your local taxes and fees. The Prius can be leased for much less.

c. Maintenance Costs - if both are within warranty, only the Prius will have oil change costs. One special note: Mercedes annual checkup cost is the ripoff of a lifetime. I would take the car elsewhere for normal service (replace cabin air filter, rotate tires, check windshield washer fluid, etc). Only bring it to Mercedes dealers if there is NO OTHER CHOICE.

1. You still have to put gas in the Prius.