Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes-Benz receives world's first internationally valid system approval for conditionally automated driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was Mercedes-Benz that set the 37MPH (60kPH) boundary for this particular system. I certainly hope that isn't written into any regulations; it's inappropriate, possibly corrupt and classically erroneous for government regulators to apply quantitative targets and/or mandated engineering solutions to a rapidly-developing technology.
Max speed is written into the regulations. As is min following distance.

all this talk about SAE levels and such are a waste or time honestly. as long as there are human drivers on the road i wouldn't trust any situation enough to even allow myself to sleep in an Autonomous Vehicle. the focus is on the wrong side. humans make far too many mistakes (fall asleep, get angry, impatient etc.). we all have seen crazy *sugar* happen on the road.

I think with a little refinement and effort, Tesla COULD turn basic AP or even NoA into an L3 system. At least a lot less effort than L5 FSD or whatever the goal is right now.

That being said, if regulations only allow for 37mph L3, I’d happily take it as a stepping stone to L3 full speed AP.
They should do it ASAP. Letting Mercedes beat them, if Tesla really have the superior system, seems a bit lazy.

It will not be a US feature though as this UN regulation applies to EU, Japan and some others. New Level 3 regulation for autonomous driving coming in 2021

• Funny
Reactions: jtsai1031
They should do it ASAP. Letting Mercedes beat them, if Tesla really have the superior system, seems a bit lazy.

It will not be a US feature though as this UN regulation applies to EU, Japan and some others. New Level 3 regulation for autonomous driving coming in 2021
tesla not gonna waste their time playing that game. and neither should they. they aren't that dumb or shortsighted. like i said this 37 mph bs is just a markeing ploy. who really cares. am i gonna sleep do i trust it that much? you must be one of those that trusts everything the gov't says?

I think with a little refinement and effort, Tesla COULD turn basic AP or even NoA into an L3 system. At least a lot less effort than L5 FSD or whatever the goal is right now.

That being said, if regulations only allow for 37mph L3, I’d happily take it as a stepping stone to L3 full speed AP.
But if you look at the details, that 37mph only applies for highways rated at much higher speeds and only when there is traffic congestion. You still won't be able to use it in places that have more like 35mph or 45mph limits (or lower). That makes the utility very low. And as discussed above, while you don't have to pay direct attention, you still can't sleep in the car. You still have to be ready to take over in 10 seconds.
Audi had a similar limited system years ago. It was approved for German freeways, never really productized, and was eventually abandoned.
Yeah, officially they said it was because the regulations were not ready, but behind the scenes it appeared to be the corporate lawyers not liking the liability it puts on them. Mercedes is limiting the scope by limiting it so far to only the S-Class in Germany if it successfully releases next year.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
An autonomous vehicle that we can actually sleep in is still likely a long ways away, and I imagine many people would have a hard time trusting any current system enough to be able to fall asleep in a car being driven purely by that system.

I‘ll gladly take an AV that lets me do work (and bill hours), play games, watch Netflix, or focus on my phone during long haul drives rather than me starting out of the windshield for hours on end with hands on the wheel.

how many times do i have to say this is just a desperate marketing ploy to stay relevant. you guys all ate it up like it was a real advancement or something. let's all ignore how badly Tesla is trouncing them in Europe even without Gigaberlin fully operational. this whole "competition is coming" is one big fat joke.

Reactions: mspohr and EVNow
isn't this 37 mph bs just a marketing gimmick?
It depends how often your commute is less than 37mph.
Personally, I rarely drive on the interstate when speeds are less than 37mph but I can see that other people do.
how many times do i have to say this is just a desperate marketing ploy to stay relevant.
It's also a feature that some people will find a lot of value in. It seems like less of a marketing ploy than FSD Beta to me. Similar to FSD Beta it can also be a test platform to see how well these systems will work in the real world. Perhaps what they learn from this deployment will help them create a system that works at higher speeds?

It depends how often your commute is less than 37mph.
Personally, I rarely drive on the interstate when speeds are less than 37mph but I can see that other people do.

It's also a feature that some people will find a lot of value in. It seems like less of a marketing ploy than FSD Beta to me. Similar to FSD Beta it can also be a test platform to see how well these systems will work in the real world. Perhaps what they learn from this deployment will help them create a system that works at higher speeds?
I'm yet to find one who says they are excited to use this "feature".

I'm sure this will lead the AVs as much as GM leads EVs.

In Germany, Autozeitung reports for 2020, an excemption year with 513.000 reported cases of stau, a 50% reduction from 2019. Worst month was September with 67.000 reports with total 104.000 km length of congestion. Seems it is a use case.

We will have to wait until customers get it next year to determine the value of the EQS/S-class system.
I am disappointed that Audi never released their system, and I am unsure what the verdict will be on this one. I have a feeling it will be a step forward but not sure.

LOL. Competitors can do no wrong - Tesla can do no right.
Why does it have to black and white with some of you.

Tesla is doing some awesome stuff with L2 FSD, but the fact is, they are too chicken-*sugar* to put their money where their mouth is and take liability for damage in any situation. How can Elon's robotaxis operate in that world?

There is room for other players and competition. Mercedes here is doing something unique that Tesla is not, so that's why it's being called out.

I think we all agree that functionally, Teslas AP and FSD >> MB Drive Pilot, but i can't even look at my phone to read a text when using AP/FSD. But i could not only look at a phone, but respond to messages, watch youtube videos, argue with people on TMC, or whatever if stuck in traffic in a MB haha. That's cool, and I hope Tesla will allow me to relax when using AP in the future. That's about it.

I personally see a lot more value in focusing on the highway driving specifically and making that Level 3+, but that might be my less-common situation. Autonomous driving within the city is far less important to me, but I think that angle would become more important as your regular commute time increases and in a robotaxi-type situation.

But I don't mind doing a 10-20 minute commute in the city and don't think I'd get much value out of the car doing it for me, certainly not enough to warrant the current price tag. Add in a significantly longer commute, robotaxi capability, etc then maybe. But I'll pay good money right now for a system that will let me stop paying attention for long highway hauls, because those are brutal.

An autonomous vehicle that we can actually sleep in is still likely a long ways away, and I imagine many people would have a hard time trusting any current system enough to be able to fall asleep in a car being driven purely by that system.

I‘ll gladly take an AV that lets me do work (and bill hours), play games, watch Netflix, or focus on my phone during long haul drives rather than me starting out of the windshield for hours on end with hands on the wheel.

2022 AUDI GRAND SPHERE CONCEPT- Level 4​

I personally see a lot more value in focusing on the highway driving specifically and making that Level 3+, but that might be my less-common situation. Autonomous driving within the city is far less important to me, but I think that angle would become more important as your regular commute time increases and in a robotaxi-type situation.

But I don't mind doing a 10-20 minute commute in the city and don't think I'd get much value out of the car doing it for me, certainly not enough to warrant the current price tag. Add in a significantly longer commute, robotaxi capability, etc then maybe. But I'll pay good money right now for a system that will let me stop paying attention for long highway hauls, because those are brutal.
Well the Mercedes Drive Pilot is not such a system, it only works when there is congestion on the highway that drops speed below the 37mph limit. You would have to wait for L4 essentially for the functionality you are looking for, since I don't really see a practical way to make a L3 system that can give you 10 second (or at least several seconds) warning to take over, while still not being able to handle all the emergency situations that can happen while the car is going full speed in a long highway haul (thus not L4). L3 is only practical in the traffic jam situation given it takes some time for the traffic to pick up speed, so making a 10 second prediction practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: daktari
Well the Mercedes Drive Pilot is not such a system, it only works when there is congestion on the highway that drops speed below the 37mph limit. You would have to wait for L4 essentially for the functionality you are looking for, since I don't really see a practical way to make a L3 system that can give you 10 second (or at least several seconds) warning to take over, while still not being able to handle all the emergency situations that can happen while the car is going full speed in a long highway haul (thus not L4). L3 is only practical in the traffic jam situation given it takes some time for the traffic to pick up speed, so making a 10 second prediction is practical.
Yeah such a system doesn't exist right now and I'm unsure of the technical hurdles that need to be overcome to deploy one capable of doing this at full highway speeds.

I don't care who does it, could be Tesla or it could be Mercedes or GM or Ford or whoever. Just somebody do it and take my money!

Here's Bjorn from a recent test drive around Frankfurt in wet conditions during rush hour (~5:50pm). I don't think Bjorn went slower than 60 kph/37 mph on the freeway. He hit 180 kph on the way back.

101S at San Tomas (before 880) gets congested around 4pm. Mercedes' system might be useful there.