Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes-Benz receives world's first internationally valid system approval for conditionally automated driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People who say this is like "FSD" or AP1 really don't get it.

You can take your eyes off the road. Legally. That's a major benefit and a game changer.

Something no Tesla has ever been capable of and probably won't be able to do in the near future either.
Capability or legality?
AP1 is more capable.
MB just got legal certification for an extremely limited use case. Not likely to be useful to anyone.

Not likely to be useful to anyone.
Might be useful in LA! Maybe Germany doesn't have traffic like this?
I take it you're not in Southern California or the Bay Area?
1639427876655.png

This is my belief also. If one is supposed to sleep, work or do anything without paying attention, a sudden handover is not acceptable - and I guess Mercedes has thought about that. But we shall see when cars hit the roads next year.

Others though see an opportunity to spread some FUD about the competitor, maybe to avoid questions on why Tesla did not go that route. Maybe Tesla can deliver this next year also? They should try.
How can it be eyes off road if at any point it quits and you suddenly have to take over?

This is less functional than AP1 on my 2015 Model S
I'm pretty sure this will be relatively comparable to Autopilot functionality with Level 2 expectations at speeds above 37MPH. And then if you hit slower traffic within the ODD, it becomes a Level 3 system where you can stop paying attention and let it do its thing.

Traffic clears up? 10 second warning that you need to start paying attention again, and then it'll return to Autopilot-like functionality with eyes forward and hands ready to take over.

It's gonna be a lot more seamless and useful than you're suggesting and I can't imagine why Tesla hasn't done something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is less functional than AP1 on my 2015 Model S
You're doing an apples to oranges comparison.

To do an apples to apples comparison you have to compare the L2 functionality of these vehicles to the L2 functionality your 2015 Model S has.

The L3 functionality is functionality you do not have on your Model S regardless of where its at or what speed its going. The L3 functionality the MB has doesn't remove the L2 functionality it has.

It's a cheery on top. Yes, its sad you don't have the cheery but it's been roughly 6 years since you got your cake. It's okay that someone else has a cheery now.

Last edited:
You're doing an apples to oranges comparison.

To do an apples to apples comparison you have to compare the L2 functionality of these vehicles to the L2 functionality your 2015 Model S has.

The L3 functionality is functionality you do not have on your Model S regardless of where its at or what speed its going.
The point is that L3 functionality which is limited to a very constricted use case (<38 mph on freeways) is essentially useless.

The point is that L3 functionality which is limited to a very constricted use case (<38 mph on freeways) is essentially useless.

My point was that even if you live in such a utopia where <38mph on the freeway was rare that it doesn't remove the existing L2 functionality.

Where I live L3 with those restrictions would be vastly more useful than traffic light response for example. It is because if I leave at the wrong time I could be spending hours going <38mph on my way to Portland.

I am curious to see how it will be packaged if its ever sold in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if its a monthly subscription. It is functionality that deserves a monthly subscription so those who it's useful to can pay, and those who live in utopias like you can live without it.

Look at the current LA traffic map. Currently at 2:34pm on a Monday there is A LOT of traffic <38mph so clearly it wouldn't be useless to the people there (and the reason there's traffic is because there are a lot people there!)

Of course who knows when such a system will come to the US...

If you imagine L2 Autopilot with the added functionality of a L3 system that allows you to actually stop paying attention to the road in lower speed situations until warned that you need to start paying attention again in ~10seconds, it can be potentially be very useful

you guys are seriously paid trolls or seriously the most naive group i've come across yet. even if the Pope himself told me this marketing gimmick is safe I WOULD NOT TRUST IT WITH MY LIFE. and Mercedes understands it's not good at all thus all the limitations and i'm sure many many excuses when it won't work even under 37 or whatever arbitrary speed limit. you think this is some fantasy lala land where this will work all the time in ideal conditions. this. ain.t. that. stop being tools.
and if you think you'd just like to offload liability you are an idiot as well.

If you imagine L2 Autopilot with the added functionality of a L3 system that allows you to actually stop paying attention to the road in lower speed situations until warned that you need to start paying attention again in ~10seconds, it can be potentially be very useful
I think if the speed limit is close to 60 mph than 37 mph, it would be really useful.

BTW, anyone knows what are the rules when it comes to inclement weather ?

you guys are seriously paid trolls or seriously the most naive group i've come across yet. even if the Pope himself told me this marketing gimmick is safe I WOULD NOT TRUST IT WITH MY LIFE. and Mercedes understands it's not good at all thus all the limitations and i'm sure many many excuses when it won't work even under 37 or whatever arbitrary speed limit. you think this is some fantasy lala land where this will work all the time in ideal conditions. this. ain.t. that. stop being tools.

The limitations are perfectly in line with expected limitations of L3 systems.

The limitations are either due to regulatory requirements in Germany for L3 or they exist for to limit the liability.

L3 has a handoff problem in that at some point during the drive it needs to hand off control to the human driver. This hand off can happen if conditions start to change or if its transitioning from one road type to another.

The hand off requires the car to give the human time to take over. In this case its 10 seconds.

At 37mph if the driver doesn't take over the car can stop in its lane as it continues to try to get the attention from the driver. The likelihood of someone rear ending it isn't nearly as high at it would be if traffic is going 70+mph.

Basically at 70mph all the risk factors go way up so that's why every L3 system (that are coming to the market soon) are really just traffic assist systems.

The Honda L3 system in Japan has the same limitations.

Dude, relax. It's only going to be available in Germany for now so they'll find out how safe it is before it ever gets here.