Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MERCEDES-BENZ UNVEILS SPORTY, ULTRA-LONG-RANGE VISION EQXX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes says it achieved this energy efficiency not by cramming an oversized battery under the floor of the vehicle but by “pulling out all the stops in drivetrain efficiency, energy density, aerodynamics, and lightweight design... The result is an efficiency masterpiece.”

twqyjv9bonea_800.jpg

Last edited:
I love the looks, exterior and interior. If it actually functions as advertised it's pretty cool...

...but also irrelevant unless they can mass produce it. Sounds like no real plans to sell anything like it yet.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Yeah, reminds me of the Porsche 959, Bill Gates was even trying to get one into the US in 1986 because there was no crash data since they didn't want to waste one on the testing.

Anyway, if people think Tesla has some huge advantage...they are wrong, a Mercedes and BMW with their massively deep pockets can design/build and ramp up production on an all electric vehicle with no issues whatsoever compared to Tesla and their factories. And the build quality will be miles ahead of Tesla for the next 10yrs likely as well.

They are just awaiting the market demand...then it is game over for Tesla.

Anyway, if people think Tesla has some huge advantage...they are wrong, a Mercedes and BMW with their massively deep pockets can design/build and ramp up production on an all electric vehicle with no issues whatsoever compared to Tesla and their factories. And the build quality will be miles ahead of Tesla for the next 10yrs likely as well.
I am not a fanboi, but this reeks of not doing your research. Market cap for Daimler AG (Mercedes parent) and BMW AG combined is about $155B. The public float (free shares on market) are about 50-55% of that, call it $80B. Tesla's market cap is about $1.15T, more than 7 times of the other two combined. If, say they are seeing MB and/or BMW as becoming a serious -read dangerous- competitor, Musk's share of Tesla (about 23% or $265B, may be lower after the sales of late 2021) would be enough to buy the 50% free float in BMW AG AND Daimler AG together at a 3x premium and therefore getting a controlling interest. This does not include any other way of Tesla raising funds (via issuing more stock or any other ways). That also assumes no regulatory and other governmental blocks, but it shows the difference in the financial size between Tesla and the others. Tesla, if interested, can swallow someone like Daimler AG or BMW AG. Not effortless but it is possible.... So someone's pockets are indeed deep but not the ones you are thinking about....

Reactions: henderrj
I am not a fanboi, but this reeks of not doing your research. Market cap for Daimler AG (Mercedes parent) and BMW AG combined is about $155B. The public float (free shares on market) are about 50-55% of that, call it $80B. Tesla's market cap is about $1.15T, more than 7 times of the other two combined. If, say they are seeing MB and/or BMW as becoming a serious -read dangerous- competitor, Musk's share of Tesla (about 23% or $265B, may be lower after the sales of late 2021) would be enough to buy the 50% free float in BMW AG AND Daimler AG together at a 3x premium and therefore getting a controlling interest. This does not include any other way of Tesla raising funds (via issuing more stock or any other ways). That also assumes no regulatory and other governmental blocks, but it shows the difference in the financial size between Tesla and the others. Tesla, if interested, can swallow someone like Daimler AG or BMW AG. Not effortless but it is possible.... So someone's pockets are indeed deep but not the ones you are thinking about....

This is absurd....to try and use/justify Tesla's valuation based on an absurd stock price is ridiculous. This means nothing in today's stock market, take this from a 10yr day trader...is utter nonsense. Market cap is complete BS and a joke...like Bitcoin.

To justify their valuation Tesla would need to delivery 1 million cars every year for the next 100yrs+.....then it would equal that stupid stock price...but hey, I made a ton of money off all the fools who think it is a $1500 stock...so thanks for that!!!

Ridiculous....your response has nothing to do with designing/building/developing and actually producing a quality car...I think Daimler and BMW have ohh.....70yrs more experience then Tesla does....that is fact. Stock price means ZERO!!!!

Reactions: Xdama
This is absurd....to try and use/justify Tesla's valuation based on an absurd stock price is ridiculous. This means nothing in today's stock market, take this from a 10yr day trader...is utter nonsense. Market cap is complete BS and a joke...like Bitcoin.

To justify their valuation Tesla would need to delivery 1 million cars every year for the next 100yrs+.....then it would equal that stupid stock price...but hey, I made a ton of money off all the fools who think it is a $1500 stock...so thanks for that!!!

Ridiculous....your response has nothing to do with designing/building/developing and actually producing a quality car...I think Daimler and BMW have ohh.....70yrs more experience then Tesla does....that is fact. Stock price means ZERO!!!!

The concept of corporate knowledge is an interesting study. It isn't ever a corporation that has knowledge. People who work there can put their knowledge on files and paper. Some other person they hire can then read that. It's always persons who have knowledge and experience to pass on.

In this, what can still be called, information age, knowledge is much more fluid than it was in the past. It passes through corporations as well as to the entire industry much, much more easily. Additionally, with so much dependent on computer programs for design and development, and those programs usually available to everyone, innovation breakthroughs are much less long-lived.

I happen to be a big Mercedes fan, have owned a number of their vehicles, and expect them to remain an excellent niche market player. But that is what they have always been, and what they are probably still aiming for. Tesla on the other hand hopes to be a mass market company. And as to the ability to put out factories, well the German and Texas factories are evidence that they can do it pretty well. If China didn't already convince you.

As too money, well I am not an expert in that. Still, available cash is available cash! Not quite sure how it matters whether or not it is derived from a stock that is overpriced, or not. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Seriously, I would be interested to know.

I forgot to say, corporate culture has a much greater effect than corporate knowledge. I think it is the corporate culture of some of the old corporations that may, indeed, give them an advantage. That is something that is passed directly from employee to employee over the life of the company. If Tesla has indeed achieved a good culture, and in many ways you could argue they have, then they are already ahead in that sense as well.

Stock price means pure cold CASH. And in the market available right now cash rules. In fact I do agree with you on TSLA being extremely overvalued as of now, and even more on the BTC. BUT.... It doesn't change anything. My opinion and your opinion vs the opinion of the market.... Unfortunately these days there are other factors that dominate in market vs the ones you listed.

And TBH after driving a Mercedes E-class as well a Cadillac DTS, I am fairly happy with the comfort/quality of my Model 3 LR-AWD. By far the most sporty that I've drove (I do not fit in most BMW sedans - not enough headroom for me- so I won't compare it with those) and pretty comfortable. And I really do enjoy the minimalist interface. Daimler really screwed the pooch with their post 2000 button interface. Way too many and in illogical places (say the stupidly low gear shifter that they finally replaced with something very similar to Tesla's). But I sincerely miss the massage chairs of both E 300 and DTS...

Reactions: tm1v2