Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Debuts EQC Electric Crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes-Benz debuted its EQC electric crossover Tuesday in Stockholm.

Daimler AG Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche told reporters at the event that the company has spent more than $12 billion on its electric car push.

“There is no alternative to betting on electric cars, and we’re going all in,” Zetsche said, according to Bloomberg. “It is starting right now.”

upload_2018-9-4_11-40-33-png.331864

The EQC has nice sporty lines, definitely a familiar small Mercedes-Benz SUV look. It’s planned to reach its first customers next year, and pricing is expected to be in the same ballpark as the gas-powered Mercedes GLC and Tesla’s $49,000 Model 3.

Mercedes EQC Specs:

402 horsepower and 564 lb-ft from a pair of asynchronous motors and an 80 kWh li-ion battery

Range: up to 200 miles

187.4″ (L) x 82.5″ (W-including mirrors) x 63.9″ H; 113.1″ wheelbase

Curb weight: N/A

MPGe: N/A

DC fast-charging time, 110 kW, 10-80 percent: 40 minutes (wall-charging time: N/A)

0-60 mph: 4.9 seconds

The car is part of a growing list of challengers to Tesla, including the Porsche Taycan, Audi E-tron and Jaguar I-Pace. Read more about Tesla’s EV competition in 2019 here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It amuses me how he raves and raves about the acceleration, which is only, um, 5.1 sec to 100 Km/hr? I must be spoiled by fast cars, I must be ruined. My Model S LR+ does 0-60 MPH in 3.7 and feels… spry. It’s pretty good. I sometimes ponder whether I should have shelled out for the Performance version. I guess as BEVs become widespread, we’ll all get our expectations reset!

He mentions not being a fan of SUV/CUVs and sort of implied that, despite all his positive impressions of this one, he’s really wishing for a lower-stance vehicle, a sedan. I am in the same camp. I love how my S provides the functionality of a CUV without any of the disadvantages (as I perceive them).

He talks some about the quietness. I guess this is an area where we are all a long way from consensus, with different companies taking very different approaches. We’ve got Porsche (as he mentioned) putting in fake sounds, we’ve got Tesla letting some of the natural gear whine come through, and we’ve got Mercedes-Benz trying to suppress all noise. I favor Tesla’s approach, but maybe that’s just because I’ve been driving one for a few years already, and that’s what I know. (And I could say much the same about different regen schemes.)

Reactions: jgs
He talks some about the quietness. I guess this is an area where we are all a long way from consensus, with different companies taking very different approaches. We’ve got Porsche (as he mentioned) putting in fake sounds, we’ve got Tesla letting some of the natural gear whine come through, and we’ve got Mercedes-Benz trying to suppress all noise. I favor Tesla’s approach, but maybe that’s just because I’ve been driving one for a few years already, and that’s what I know. (And I could say much the same about different regen schemes.)
I have not driven the Mercedes EQC but the Audi E-Tron and it's crazy how quiet it is inside compared to a Tesla.

All the effort they put into acoustic insulation really makes sense for a premium EV.
Here Is How Acoustic Insulation Makes Audi e-tron Really Quiet

If the EQC is anything like Audi, it's really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgs
My daughter has a Mercedes GLC, which I understand is the chassis basis for the EQC. She says it is really quiet, quieter than her previous MB E-class. And hers is a Diesel (she is in England, where most petrol cars are Diesels). She also says the ride is excellent. If it is true that the EQC is similar to the GLC, this is one reason i am looking forward to trying the EQC, if and when it finally gets to the US.

Unexpected large demand in Europe.

"In a recent direction from Daimler AG, it is a strategic decision to first support the growing customer demand for the EQC in Europe," the automaker from Stuttgart said."

View attachment 562155
I saw that but awesomeness usually isn’t why you keep something out of the 1st/2nd largest car market on earth. I’m not sure if China has passed the US or not.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I saw that but awesomeness usually isn’t why you keep something out of the 1st/2nd largest car market on earth. I’m not sure if China has passed the US or not.
Mercedes needs to sell EV in Europe because of EU fleet-wide average emission target or they'll face penalties.

"Specific emission targets for manufacturers
In 2020, the emission targets will apply for each manufacturer’s 95% least emitting new cars. From 2021 onward, the average emissions of all newly registered cars of a manufacturer will have to be below the target."
Reducing CO2 emissions from passenger cars - before 2020 - Climate Action - European Commission

So for every EQC EV they sell in Europe they can sell another gas guzzling AMG S63 and stay below the average emission target of 95g/km CO2. Therefore it's very important for them to priorize EU market for now.

The US doesn't have such legislation. President of USA is even talking about relaxing emission laws. Therefore the US is not an important market for EV at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: transpondster
Mercedes needs to sell EV in Europe because of EU fleet-wide average emission target or they'll face penalties.

"Specific emission targets for manufacturers
In 2020, the emission targets will apply for each manufacturer’s 95% least emitting new cars. From 2021 onward, the average emissions of all newly registered cars of a manufacturer will have to be below the target."
Reducing CO2 emissions from passenger cars - before 2020 - Climate Action - European Commission

So for every EQC EV they sell in Europe they can sell another gas guzzling AMG S63 and stay below the average emission target of 95g/km CO2. Therefore it's very important for them to priorize EU market for now.

The US doesn't have such legislation. President of USA is even talking about relaxing emission laws. Therefore the US is not an important market for EV at the moment.
The US has CAFE which dictates fleet mileage requirements. Trump tried to set them back but several states kept the standards thus automakers don’t want to make the multiple versions of the same cars.

AND the usual limiting function (you all know it) BATTERIES.
Will Porsche sell 40,000 EV in a year?? probably not.
Ford Mach E ? 40,000 - I guess not the first year, right?
Bolt already trending down - will it recover? and the Volt -oops stopped making or the Cruz? another cancel.
Caddy electric? can GM market & sell 40,000 ??
How about the Hummer? or Silverado ?? - I suspect not. compliance Models, I suspect.

Will be interesting to see if Benz avoids EU fines . Will Benz limit production just to cover potential fines?

interesting times

The US has CAFE which dictates fleet mileage requirements.
They are not nearly as strict as EU law though.

2021 USA CAFE standard requires an average of 38.02mpg for cars with footprint ≥ 56 ft2 (e.g., Mercedes-Benz E-Class).
43.09mpg for cars with footprint 41 to 56 ft2 (e.g. Toyota Camry).

38.02mpg is 6.2L/100km
43.09mpg is 5.5L/100km
EU requirement is 95g/km CO2 which is 4.1 L/100 km of petrol or 3.6 L/100 km of diesel, entirely without footprint categories.

EU emission requirements from 2015 were similar to US emission requirements 2021.

"Following a phase in from 2012 onward, a target of 130 grams of CO2 per kilometre applied for the EU fleet-wide average emission of new passenger cars between 2015 and 2019.

Emissions of 130 g CO2/km correspond to a fuel consumption of around 5.6 litres per 100 km (l/100 km) of petrol or 4.9 l/100 km of diesel.

This EU fleet-wide target was already reached in 2013, two years ahead of schedule."

So car companies like Mercedes can get away with selling ICE cars with emission standards from basically 2013 in the US while priorizing EV for the EU market.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
EQC is much quieter than e-tron from what I gather. e-tron has a droney motor sound that grows tiresome. EQC really goes the extra mile.

Not sure anyone called EQC a Tesla killer? Surely it would have converted a lot of luxury ICE drivers. There’s nothing more luxurious than an EV powertrain.

Had there been an existing network as good as Tesla’s I bet Mercedes would have offered this in the US.

Reactions: 5JMJ

Well, that is disappointing. But the range was modest at best, and I have read of problems with various functions and even with the main batteries. What I was especially looking forward to was that the ride and the quiet interior were reported to be excellent. The higher seating position than my Model S would be an advantage, too. I have not driven the Model Y but have not been impressed with my rides in Model 3 and have read many complaints about the stiff ride in the Model Y. My Model S is a harsh enough ride, and I do not want to get one that is even worse.

The S class electric sounds intriguing, but will likely be super expensive, large, and inefficient. Still, be nice to try it!

I see an EQC400 on a nearby street when I start a bike ride. Mercedes mini-SUV. I’m sure it’s very nice inside and works well. If you like the look it is spot-on.

I would not get one over a Model Y. Having had several Mercedes over the years and now having 2 Teslas the Tesla wins out. Build quality? Not really, though neither Tesla has leaked and the service centre is much easier to deal with than the dealership. Price? Not really, but ‘buying’ a Tesla is a lot less hassle than jumping though the Mercedes sales and finance hoops. But more that Tesla has put effort into making electric vehicles work and has a real, working charging network that is painless to use on long journeys. Mercedes, while making an effort, seem to still be in the ‘compliance’ zone. I expect this will change soon.