Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Debuts EQC Electric Crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes-Benz debuted its EQC electric crossover Tuesday in Stockholm.

Daimler AG Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche told reporters at the event that the company has spent more than $12 billion on its electric car push.

“There is no alternative to betting on electric cars, and we’re going all in,” Zetsche said, according to Bloomberg. “It is starting right now.”

upload_2018-9-4_11-40-33-png.331864

The EQC has nice sporty lines, definitely a familiar small Mercedes-Benz SUV look. It’s planned to reach its first customers next year, and pricing is expected to be in the same ballpark as the gas-powered Mercedes GLC and Tesla’s $49,000 Model 3.

Mercedes EQC Specs:

402 horsepower and 564 lb-ft from a pair of asynchronous motors and an 80 kWh li-ion battery

Range: up to 200 miles

187.4″ (L) x 82.5″ (W-including mirrors) x 63.9″ H; 113.1″ wheelbase

Curb weight: N/A

MPGe: N/A

DC fast-charging time, 110 kW, 10-80 percent: 40 minutes (wall-charging time: N/A)

0-60 mph: 4.9 seconds

The car is part of a growing list of challengers to Tesla, including the Porsche Taycan, Audi E-tron and Jaguar I-Pace. Read more about Tesla’s EV competition in 2019 here.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who waited for the EQC, it is now a good point in time to press the order button on the Model X webpage.

The EQC is designed to fail, because good EVs could hurt ICE car sales, where Daimler AG earns lots of money. Compared to the GLC it is based on, the EQC is 25'000 Euros more expensive. I think that will be hard to explain to the Mercedes customer base ...

Mercedes Unveils First Tesla Rival in $12 Billion Attack
Terms of Service Violation

TESLA R&D 2010-2017 <$4.2 billion total
Roadster, Model S, Model X and Model 3
Tesla's R&D costs 2010-2017 | Statistic

Merc has already out spent Tesla by 3x in R&D alone.
Does that mean 3x better; 3x more vehicles; 3x more models offered ?
The only question is can they be on time? Have they promised a deadline/delivery date?

Now Tesla will see how it is really done.

</sarcasm> ?? we shall see

Mercedes Unveils First Tesla Rival in $12 Billion Attack
Terms of Service Violation

TESLA R&D 2010-2017 <$4.2 billion total
Roadster, Model S, Model X and Model 3
Tesla's R&D costs 2010-2017 | Statistic

Merc has already out spent Tesla by 3x in R&D alone.
Does that mean 3x better; 3x more vehicles; 3x more models offered ?
The only question is can they be on time? Have they promised a deadline/delivery date?

Now Tesla will see how it is really done.

</sarcasm> ?? we shall see
LOL! If that is what they developed for $12 billion, then they need some new engineers. 200 mile range for a battery that big is pathetic. Come winter, it’s range will be a whopping 160miles. So sad.....

• Love
Reactions: Brando
NEDC range was given at 280 miles. Basic rule of thumb conversion based on many other vehicles is 70% to EPA, so that's 196 miles. Which is why they originally came out with up to 200 miles. They did walk it back. However, if they are really using asynchronous dual motors, they might really be getting such low EPA range numbers. Tesla's NEDC to EPA conversion is much tighter with the S and X, so maybe the conversion will be tighter. At 80%, that's 224 miles. For 80 kWh of usable capacity, even 224 miles is pretty low. That's 10% more usable capacity than the Model X 75D but more than 6% less range for a smaller, 2 row CUV/SUV.

Not impressed. The low specific energy of the battery pack... worse than a 2012 Model S doesn't bode well for their other upcoming offerings.

Where does the 200 mile range number come from? Mercedes says "more than 450 km according to NEDC (provisional figure)", which probably just means they haven't run it through the WLTP cycle yet (lots of European manufacturers currently have problems running their vehicles through that test).

They are absolutely not allowed to use NEDC on new vehicles since September last year.
WLTP introduction: when will the changes take place? | WLTPfacts.eu

• WLTP will officially apply to new types of cars from September 2017. New types of cars are vehicle models that are introduced on the market for the first time.
  • Manufacturers may already start requesting WLTP approvals for new car types when the legislation comes into force in the European Union (no sooner than end July 2017).
  • WLTP will apply to all new car registrations from September 2018.

People don't care about efficiency, and Mercedes owners particularly won't care.

Range does matter here, but efficiency, no. They'll be able to sell out with the range it has.

Welcome to the new world order, where China's conspicuous consumption means that gauche is the new design aesthetic.
Lol yes, classic!

I remember hearing someone say that "Bentley was a German imagining of a luxury British car for a tasteless Chinese audience". Always seemed kinda true based on the crass Bentleys I've seen...

• Love
Reactions: Brando and jgs
Speaking of other EVs lacking charging infrastructure: today I pulled into the Supercharger in Tucson and was shocked to see a Porsche pull in. The guy said he bought a converter for $500, then plugged it in, and it seemed to work fine. He said he uses Tesla Superchargers all the time, and doesn’t have to pay anything for the ‘juice’. Good for him, bad for Tesla and Tesla owners. The software can identify specific vehicles e.g., our Model 3, which I get charged for, and our Model S, which I don’t. How can Tesla let this happen?

Definitely disappointed in the near invisible styling here. The Jaguar i-Pace may not be beautiful, but at least Jag took some chances with it and made it interesting. Here we've all been waiting for this big wave of awesome European electrics and well, it's all looking a bit meh when I see the Merc and Audi offerings. Maybe BMW's iNext or whatever it ends up being will be better. So far the Taycan and Jag look to be the interesting ones.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Speaking of other EVs lacking charging infrastructure: today I pulled into the Supercharger in Tucson and was shocked to see a Porsche pull in. The guy said he bought a converter for $500, then plugged it in, and it seemed to work fine. He said he uses Tesla Superchargers all the time, and doesn’t have to pay anything for the ‘juice’. Good for him, bad for Tesla and Tesla owners. The software can identify specific vehicles e.g., our Model 3, which I get charged for, and our Model S, which I don’t. How can Tesla let this happen?

Supercharger or destination charger? I know of the adapter for the HPWC to J1772. The electricity cost of those is provided by the establishment, not Tesla.

Reactions: jgs
Supercharger or destination charger? I know of the adapter for the HPWC to J1772. The electricity cost of those is provided by the establishment, not Tesla.

There are "pirate adapters" around for, say, a BMW i3 or a hybrid Porsche Panamera that allow it to use a supercharger. The adapter is "smart" with a built-in chip to handle the handshake with the supercharger and provide it with bogus credentials copied from a Tesla, and handle the handshake with the EV telling it it was attached to a DCFC.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando and jgs
There are "pirate adapters" around for, say, a BMW i3 or a hybrid Porsche Panamera that allow it to use a supercharger. The adapter is "smart" with a built-in chip to handle the handshake with the supercharger and provide it with bogus credentials copied from a Tesla, and handle the handshake with the EV telling it it was attached to a DCFC.

While some i3’s have CCS DCFC, I don’t believe the Panamera e-hybrid can DCFC.

Dammit. If I could get one of those for my Roadster, I'd be all over that. I doubt whether it's practical to make that work on the Roadster, though. If it was that easy, we would have had an official upgrade for it. (At least I do have the adapter for destination chargers.)

I was hoping for something interesting and potentially game-changing given how long MB have been exploring and promising EVs. Disappointing and makes MB’s ‘all in on electric’ pitch less than credible.

Sadly, the EQC is surprisingly expensive and unoriginal. The UK sale price estimates place it at £60,000. Add in the options you’d need to put it on par with a model X and I suspect it’ll be a similar story to the I-pace: £70,000+ for a traditional-looking CUV/SUV with less space and innovation than a model X. Couple that with the usual dealership hassles and their high finance rates and I would not be surprised to see the EQC work out more expensive per month than an X 75D.

Still, great that they can assemble this on the same lines as the regular GLC. And maybe another step into an electric future for MB. I’m just not expecting anything amazing or preferable to a Tesla from MB anytime soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
No, Mr. Lesnik. It's a vehicle, not a clown. It's for moving you from point A to point B. The nose of the car is pushing through the air; it needs to be aerodynamic. It does not need a face.
Brand identity matters.

What good it is if Tesla has a strong brand but people can't recognise the cars on the road?
What do you think the Chinese customer will buy, the Mercedes with a prominent Mercedes grill or the Tesla Model 3 with a bland face that looks like some other random Chinese EV?

For those who waited for the EQC, it is now a good point in time to press the order button on the Model X webpage.

The EQC is designed to fail, because good EVs could hurt ICE car sales, where Daimler AG earns lots of money. Compared to the GLC it is based on, the EQC is 25'000 Euros more expensive. I think that will be hard to explain to the Mercedes customer base ...
Just like Tesla with the P100D, right?

Last edited:
Brand identity matters.

What good it is if Tesla has a strong brand but people can't recognise the cars on the road?
That’s funny. This is 2018. I believe anyone interested in an EV knows a Tesla on sight. Anyone else not interested in a Tesla and happens to see one will not say “nice looking car, quiet and fast, too!” and not try to find out what make it is. I’ve been asked at red lights to roll a window down and have been asked either “is that a Tesla?” or “what kind of car is that?!” Same for parking lots.

Not once has anyone said “yeah, but it doesn’t have that big ugly Benz symbol on the front!”