Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Debuts EQC Electric Crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes-Benz debuted its EQC electric crossover Tuesday in Stockholm.

Daimler AG Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche told reporters at the event that the company has spent more than $12 billion on its electric car push.

“There is no alternative to betting on electric cars, and we’re going all in,” Zetsche said, according to Bloomberg. “It is starting right now.”

upload_2018-9-4_11-40-33-png.331864

The EQC has nice sporty lines, definitely a familiar small Mercedes-Benz SUV look. It’s planned to reach its first customers next year, and pricing is expected to be in the same ballpark as the gas-powered Mercedes GLC and Tesla’s $49,000 Model 3.

Mercedes EQC Specs:

402 horsepower and 564 lb-ft from a pair of asynchronous motors and an 80 kWh li-ion battery

Range: up to 200 miles

187.4″ (L) x 82.5″ (W-including mirrors) x 63.9″ H; 113.1″ wheelbase

Curb weight: N/A

MPGe: N/A

DC fast-charging time, 110 kW, 10-80 percent: 40 minutes (wall-charging time: N/A)

0-60 mph: 4.9 seconds

The car is part of a growing list of challengers to Tesla, including the Porsche Taycan, Audi E-tron and Jaguar I-Pace. Read more about Tesla’s EV competition in 2019 here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh I'm not impressed with the interior quality when compared to model x, I found e-tron interior quality and ambiance to be the best when compared to this and the i-pace.
Interior quality is lightyears ahead of Model X if this is like Mercedes GLE or E-Class.

How did you get your hands on the E-Tron and the EQC in Canada?

Safety Test:

Last edited:
The E-Tron was roped off but fully open upon request at the Canadian International Auto Show earlier this year, after spending some time thoroughly examining the vehicle I was impressed, the interior seemed a generation ahead of the q7 and more similar to the q8 and looked and felt beautiful.

The eqc was on display with doors open on a turnstile but not accessible but I did spend some time in the 2020 GLE and I was not impressed with the interior fit and finish in person, it looked better in the pictures and I found the seats to be of lower quality and comfort than the model x. The seats in eqc look to be same style and design. I found the BMW X5 and range rover interior seemed more premium. The second row passenger area shared a noticeable amount of exposure to rear cargo area carpet and lining around wheel humps which was a very industrial/non premium rubber matting. It really took away from the luxury ambiance.

Interior quality is lightyears ahead of Model X if this is like Mercedes GLE or E-Class.

How did you get your hands on the E-Tron and the EQC in Canada?

Safety Test:

When are these things arriving? 10,000 units in 2021? And what’s with “recuperation” - I think the root word missing there is generation, as in regeneration.
Don't know when and if they will be available in NZ, but they are available in Europe already.
They are making 100 per day (5 days workweek) this year (~25,000 per year), double that next year (~50,000 per year).
Mercedes-Benz To Produce 100 EQC Per Day: Double That In 2020

At the current rate Model S AND X are selling (12,100 combined in Q1 2019), this is pretty good.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Isn't EQC more comparable to 3/Y than to S/X?
Yes absolutely. This is based on GLC platform and is priced to compete against the model Y. If mb made an ev with an interior similar to the new mb g series that would raise the bar, it looks and feels beautiful. I would love for Elon to benchmark that for the x interior refresh.

How does it compete with a car that's not even available?
Competition is more likely the E-Tron and iPace. In some sense the Model X, as someone buying an EQC, E-Tron or iPace isn't buying a Model X.

Not exactly. Even that E-Tron and i-Pace are priced up there and those companies like to compare them to the Model X to justify the price they are nowhere near the class of that much larger seven seater.

My feeling is none of those companies could compete with Tesla at this point. They are only able to make a few at high price and hoping they can draw some suckers, err customers, from its base. The only question is will there be that many of them out there. At this stage of the game I doubt there will be that many people who are willing to pay a large premium to buy those EV's over equivelent vehicles from the same brand. Not to mention they will always compare them to Tesla's offerings. The Chevy Bolt, which is essentially a <$20K econobox with an electric drivetrain, is a good example.

Last edited:
My feeling is none of those companies could compete with Tesla at this point. They are only able to make a few at high price and hoping they can draw some suckers, err customers, from its base.
Of course nobody can compete with Tesla, we all know.

But they (the evil companies) are selling quite a few of their EV.
Let's look at EV wonderland Norway. In April that nasty old E-Golf sold better than Model 3, that nasty Audi E-Tron sold 371, whereas Model S (23) and Model X (68) is far behind.

Audi E-Tron sold 1169 cars YTD, more than Model X (700 YTD) and Model S (292 YTD) combined.

There are too many suckers, err, customers out there.

Unbenann2t.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Brando and Lokolo
Kind of funny some people always use data from some particular region in certain particular time period without qualification while ignoring more general statisics such as total number of cars sold in one year. Do you know 100% of cars of any kind sold to my address in the last five years were Tesla and zero from anyone else?

One trick FUDsters know how to use is Tesla usually ship production to overseas in the beginning of a quarter and does not ship to the US market until later part of a quarter to minimize number of cars in transit at end of a quarter. Essentially not very many places, either the US or overseas, recieves cars in the first part of any quarters. Without exceptions every Jan, Apr, Jul and Oct you see "analysis" that Tesla month to month sale is down with "data" to support it.

You're either too gullible or are a not so innocent participant.

Last edited:
Kind of funny some people always use data from some particular region in certain particular time period without qualification while ignoring more general statisics such as total number of cars sold in one year. Do you know 100% of cars of any kind sold to my address in the last five years were Tesla and zero from anyone else?

One trick FUDsters know how to use is Tesla usually ship production to overseas in the beginning of a quarter and does not ship to the US market until later part of a quarter to minimize number of cars in transit at end of a quarter. Essentially not very many places, either the US or overseas, recieves cars in the first part of any quarters. Without exceptions every Jan, Apr, Jul and Oct you see "analysis" that Tesla month to month sale is down with "data" to support it.

You're either too gullible or are a not so innocent participant.

The original post includes YTD data as well.

However, at the end of the day, Tesla isn't the be all and end all. People have difference preferences for cars. I don't like the X or the 3. I like the S. I like the i-PACE. I like the IONIQ.

I also like the upcoming Polestar 2.

To say no-one can compete with Tesla is an absolute ridiculous statement. Not everyone wants top range, not everyone wants 7 seats. The Model S is HUGE on our UK roads. Some like different styles.

Do I think Tesla is ahead of the competition? Yes. But like every industry, it doesn't mean that others cannot compete.

MB has not released range numbers and IMO the range will not equal to Tesla and IMO is probably the most important feature. Also, where in the USA is the charging network with Tesla type superchargers? Absolutely essential if you want to go on a trip that is greater than ~50% of the range? IMO looks like it is a very expensive around town/commuter car with probably less than a 100-mile one-way range. Even if the fit and finish is better than Tesla, I don't see many of these sold without a vast supercharging network that rivals Tesla especially on the West coast where we love electric cars. Just on the block where I live, there are 6 Teslas. My neighbor routinely drives his Model S 6 hours to LA with no issues. How can you do that with this car?

Daimler AG Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche told reporters at the event that the company has spent more than $12 billion on its electric car push.

“There is no alternative to betting on electric cars, and we’re going all in,” Zetsche said, according to Bloomberg. “It is starting right now.”

Tesla R&D 2010-2018 = $5.663 billion
Tesla's R&D costs 2010-2018 | Statistic

Looking at Mercedes R&D numbers.
Is Tesla just that much better?
Or is corporate corruption to blame for this waste?

Tesla: Model S/X/3/Y, batteries, storage, solar
Mercedes: EQC and "its electric car push" . electric trucks?

• Love
Reactions: CarlK
Looking at Mercedes R&D numbers.
Is Tesla just that much better?
Or is corporate corruption to blame for this waste?

Tesla: Model S/X/3/Y, batteries, storage, solar
Mercedes: EQC and "its electric car push" . electric trucks?
The $12 billion (10 billion Euro) investment is not just BEV R&D, but investments for the electrification (including hybrids) of their entire product line:

Mercedes invests €10 billion in EQ, introduces 20 PHEVs by 2020

@Eno Deb - thanks.

You might also find interesting - far simpler reporting vs Tesla SEC filings. With 9 factories that is an average of 270,000 per factory.
Mercedes-Benz Cars | Daimler > Interactive Annual Report 2017
Mercedes-Benz Cars | Daimler > Interactive Annual Report 2018

Also note that in Europe Mercedes-Benz Trucks have "Tesla Guards" on the sides. Isn't that nice? :cool::eek::rolleyes:
Mercedes-Benz Trucks: Pictures & videos of all models.

https://www.daimler.com/documents/i...ort/daimler/daimler-ir-annual-report-2018.pdf

Largest truck manufacturers based on revenue 2015 | Statistic

The original post includes YTD data as well.

However, at the end of the day, Tesla isn't the be all and end all. People have difference preferences for cars. I don't like the X or the 3. I like the S. I like the i-PACE. I like the IONIQ.

I also like the upcoming Polestar 2.

To say no-one can compete with Tesla is an absolute ridiculous statement. Not everyone wants top range, not everyone wants 7 seats. The Model S is HUGE on our UK roads. Some like different styles.

Do I think Tesla is ahead of the competition? Yes. But like every industry, it doesn't mean that others cannot compete.

Yes nothing is be all and end all. Ford still were able to sell a few Taurus but was it competitive against Camry or E class? You can certainly stretch to say yes because it's a legit car but that's not what I meant by competitive. Have you seen another EV that has Tesla's performance, range, efficiency, technology at the same or even higher price? That's what I meant by competitive and that's what most people follow to make their purchasing decisions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando