Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQC electric SUV (Concept EQ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EQ-C could become a good looking car, great to see mercedes doing a good job here. Though it is based on an (also good looking) ICE, the GLE. This makes it a less efficient EV than a Model X. The leaked specs already indicate that, slower, less range, feature-compared probably more expensive than an X.

The EQ-C could become a good looking car, great to see mercedes doing a good job here. Though it is based on an (also good looking) ICE, the GLE. This makes it a less efficient EV than a Model X. The leaked specs already indicate that, slower, less range, feature-compared probably more expensive than an X.

It’s going to be cheaper than the X. Mercedes said that it will be similarly priced to a high end GLC.

AFAIK the EQC is more related dimension-wise to the GLC than the GLE, and is a develop-from-scratch EV. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AFAIK the EQC is more related dimension-wise to the GLC than the GLE, and is a develop-from-scratch EV. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes true.
Dimensionwise, it is similar to the GLC but is based on the EVA-1 platform (electric vehicle architecture 1) which is "develop-from-scratch EV" as you say.
The GLC is based on the MRA platform (modular rearwheeldrive architecture) like the C-Class and E-Class and the GLE.

• Informative
Reactions: trungpham
Yes true.
Dimensionwise, it is similar to the GLC but is based on the EVA-1 platform (electric vehicle architecture 1) which is "develop-from-scratch EV" as you say.
The GLC is based on the MRA platform (modular rearwheeldrive architecture) like the C-Class and E-Class and the GLE.
Very informative, thank you. It seems that the big fishes will easily match Tesla's battery capacity/range ratio and it will be good news. There will be a lot of good choices.

Reactions: kablammyman
Very informative, thank you. It seems that the big fishes will easily match Tesla's battery capacity/range ratio and it will be good news. There will be a lot of good choices.
I wouldn`t bet on that just yet. The I-Pace also looked good, until it became apparent that Jaguar obviously hasn`t understood that you have to have certain priorities when bulding an EV...something like going for the very best cw-value possible for example, even if that means not having a car that looks like a very angry man.....

Stuff like audi going on about how drag efficient their new camera mirrors will be while having that giant grill at the same time makes me want to smash my head into a wall.

• Funny
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
  • Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
What's up with all the "mainstream" car manufacturers doing all kind of goofy things to differentiate EV from the rest?
Yes yes yes! Drives me nuts. Hey automaker... instead of making some weird oval thing that comes in grey or blue, why not just put the EV features and abilities into one of your regular models that has an appealing design? The Model S is a cool car, yours could be too. Thank you, the fee for my advice is $1m Eurodollars, I just set you on a path to make a billion dollars. Good deal?

Reactions: arcus
Front is not as important as the back end of a car for a low cd.

Mercedes managed a cd of 0.22 on the new A-Class sedan, despite the huge grill. That's lower than Tesla Model 3 (0.23, no grill).

New Mercedes-Benz A-Class sedan has lowest drag of any production car

Not as important, but it's still giving up efficiency on a BEV just because 50+ years ago engineers used to find it difficult to cool large ICEs.

The cooling challenge turned into a design feature and a cultural association between grille size and power , so now BEV owners have to have fake* grilles. Woo.

* I was going to write faux, but then it looks like "foe gree"

Reactions: daktari
Front is not as important as the back end of a car for a low cd.

Mercedes managed a cd of 0.22 on the new A-Class sedan, despite the huge grill. That's lower than Tesla Model 3 (0.23, no grill).

New Mercedes-Benz A-Class sedan has lowest drag of any production car
Forget those values. The CW values of the classic manufacturers have one GIANT bullshittery about them. They`re from the windtunnel, yes...but with everything smoothed out. All nooks and crannies taped away, even the rearview mirrors are usually missing. That value usually only rates the general form. Once you add all the "design elements" the cw value goes to hell.
That´s why CW values from classic manufacturers aren`t worth the paper they`re written on. Besides the NDEC this always was the 2nd biggest lie.

Not often I saw such a boring launch event like the EQC one in Stockholm. That guy talked 15 out of 20 minutes about Sweden. Obviously there is not enough stuff to say about the vehicle.

The car is a converted GLC. The back looks very good (as it does with the GLC), but the front looks ugly to me. It has a fake nose cone like the old Teslas.

What was funny that the guy tried to sell the presence of a combustion engine as an safety advantage in their legacy cars, and they tried to imitate that in their EV construction. LOL. The contrary is true, the combustion engine is a big safety disadvantage in crash situation, as it does not absorb as much energy as a dedicated crash construction.

To sum up:
- 450 km range (NEFZ) vs. up to 565 km (Model X)
- 80 KWh battery pack
- 7.4 KW on board charger one-phase! (vs. 11 KW three phase on Model X)
- up to 110 KW CCS peak charging
- 22 KWh/100 km vs. 20.8 (Model X)
- 408 PS (vs. 611 PS for Model X)
- 2.4 tons (same as bigger 7-seater X)
- 0-100 5,1 s (vs. 3.1 - 5.2 for Model X)
- 180 kmh max (vs. 250 km/h for Model X)
- rose gold air outlets ...
- NO frunk
- starting price of 70K Euros (naked automobile), about 81K USD.
- production start summer 2019

The EQC shows how far behind the former leader in automotive is in that area. Mercedes should have increased their stake in Tesla instead of selling the shares. They hardly match the I-Pace and are far behind an three year old X in almost all specs. With similar configuration, this thing will be more expensive than a Model X. For an EV, it has some major drawbacks, such as the high power consumption, as well as the low charging speed and the inefficient space usage with no frunk.

Last edited:
Interior pics:
upload_2018-9-4_11-40-33.png

upload_2018-9-4_11-40-43.png

upload_2018-9-4_11-40-52.png