Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQS reviews published - longest range and most luxurious ride of all EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not following. So you should buy a car that costs more to produce? Why? Doesn’t better technology lead to lower cost of production? Cost and value are two very different concepts.
Better technology is one thing that can lead to lower cost of production, although that's a pretty vague component. Lower cost of production can come from cheaper labour, cheaper equipment, cheaper materials, improved processes, much more efficient operations, and a range of other stuff.

If two manufacturers produce an identical item and one can do it for cheaper through some kind of real advantage, that could be an opportunity to scoop up more profit. But I think many would scoff at that if it was public information, which it is in public companies. One form of good capitalism would be passing along the cost savings to the consumer and retaining similar margin % while forcing competitors to improve and innovate or lose customers.

Competitive market dynamics tend to push things in this direction but the general gist of my statement is that what matters is the ratio between price for consumer and cost for producer and that buying something for a huge margin % compared to a competing item is rarely a prudent thing to do.

Competitive market dynamics tend to push things in this direction but the general gist of my statement is that what matters is the ratio between price for consumer and cost for producer and that buying something for a huge margin % compared to a competing item is rarely a prudent thing to do.
I think we can all agree that a Toyota Corolla is great value since it is cheap and reliable. But it's not exciting, is it?

Will do! I get two years’ free charging at EA and the car is pre registered so charging starts “automatically “ when I hook up. I tested it locally at EA and it worked perfectly, though two of the four units were down. A Rivian pulled in with me, and a Polestar was just leaving. my road trip experience with my Ss was limited, though pretty good. We’ll see how this goes. One of my overnight stops is at a hotel with a Tesla Destination Charger and I have an adapter for that.
Just completed my 3000 mile road trip from Pinetop, AZ to Greencastle, IN and back and the EQS exceeded all expectation. First of all, once you put it on cruise control, it does virtually everything FSD does and does it all better. The interface to control CC is far, far better in the Tesla, both the marvelous round knob in the ‘21 and the stalk in the pre ‘21, which Tesla sourced … from Mercedes. For some reason MB abandoned this for the EQS and reverted to the old 6 haptic panel used by many other cars. But that’s about it for Tesla advantages. And charging? I always found the Tesla, because of its suboptimal charging capability, less than ideal got long distance travel. The EQS with a 400 mile range and, most importantly, 350 kW fast charging capability, which recharges from 20% battery capacity to 80% in 20 minutes, roughly twice as fast as the Tesla, is great. On each of my four 600+ mile days I only had to make two twenty minute charging stops. These coincided with meal and bathroom breaks. Of course, at the end of each of these days I had to recharge, but did so overnight. My third day on each leg was only about 250 miles and required no charge stop at all. And, of course, the EQS plans your charging stops and only includes Electrify America 350kw DC fast chargers It was a great trip!