Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQS reviews published - longest range and most luxurious ride of all EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1636994915858.png

The Mercedes EQS...
-costs ~$20k less than a Model S Plaid
-apparently gets ~80 miles more of "real world range"
-apparently charges faster (at a DC fast charger) than a Model S Plaid at a supercharger (Mercedes-Benz EQS Charging Analysis Reveals It's Faster Than Plaid)

I suppose the big (biggest?) compromise is "only" going from 0 to 60 in ~4ish seconds.

Reactions: cwerdna
-apparently charges faster (at a DC fast charger) than a Model S Plaid at a supercharger (Mercedes-Benz EQS Charging Analysis Reveals It's Faster Than Plaid)

I suppose the big (biggest?) compromise is "only" going from 0 to 60 in ~4ish seconds.
Why compare vs. the Plaid (which is a performance offering) than the base S (already faster than the EQS, and longer range than the plaid)?

Why compare vs. the Plaid (which is a performance offering) than the base S (already faster than the EQS, and longer range than the plaid)?

Indeed - it is strange that the Plaid would be the point of comparison. In any event, I don't fully trust Edmunds when it comes to reporting on anything related to Tesla.

All that said, the Mercedes looks to be a worthwhile new EV. Out of my price range - as is the Model S - but still very nice.

Reactions: Cosmacelf

View attachment 733212

The Mercedes EQS...

*IF* true we'll be hearing it loud and clear from owners. When is this going to happen? Are there any actual owners yet? (sorry if so, but I looked and youtube and found nothing from actual owners)

Until then 2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 450 Plus

View attachment 733212

I notice that the range on all but the EQS is about the same, a mere 30 miles difference between lowest and highest.
Fishy?

Because that’s the car they had for the tests. No one has given a long range to edmunds or any other magazine/online site. If you look at the data on inside EVs they actually use 396 mile range, so the miles per minute numbers are almost like a long range anyways. And the long range should have the same battery size as plaid so all of the % and charge rate figures should be the same. This isn’t a conspiracy. Cars are catching up or surpassing Tesla in terms of charging speed. Charging network is another thing obviously and reliability and longevity remain to be seen.

I notice that the range on all but the EQS is about the same, a mere 30 miles difference between lowest and highest.
Fishy?
What data are you looking at? If you look at the Edmunds graph posted above, the Taycan, Mach-E and Kona all show much higher real-world mileage. The only thing "fishy" is Tesla's rosier EPA estimates that far too many people take at face value when comparing against other EVs which tend to be far more conservative with their EPA estimate (backed by Edmund's testing).

I have a MYLR on order but I'm fine acknowledging that Tesla's 326 mile rating for it is a bit aspirational in the real world. Meanwhile there are several comparisons on YT of the "lower range" Mach-E beating a MYLR in range tests. While Tesla has a small edge in efficiency over other manufacturers, it typically has the smallest battery packs compared to competitors, so the latter manage to compete reasonably well on range and even exceed Tesla cars in real-world range tests on occasion. Unfortunately the EPA range estimate is a rather flawed metric and Tesla games it a fair bit compared to some of the other manufacturers.

Indeed, how many of these have actually been delivered? And what are Mercedes' further production plans?
I've been at my local dealership twice to test drive. They have yet to receive one.

A year and a half ago they said they would have one to sell in a few months. They didn't. A couple months ago I went back and still none. They said next Spring.

If you look at the Edmunds graph posted above, the Taycan, Mach-E and Kona all show much higher real-world mileage. The only thing "fishy" is Tesla's rosier EPA estimates that far too many people take at face value when comparing against other EVs which tend to be far more conservative with their EPA estimate (backed by Edmund's testing).
I am talking of the graph.
The variance between the EPA and Edmunds with some cars is massively divergent, so the results are highly suspect.
Second is the range for all the non EQS cars is within 10%, despite all the variables in design.

That is MASSIVE red flags for testing results.
I can believe the results are true, just the testing events unintentionally created the divergent results presented.

You can compare to whatever you'd like. All Teslas apparently achieve ~95-97% of their EPA range in real world tests, so the LR (or base) S is still probably some 50+ miles short of the EQS in a "real world" setting. And would then have very little advantage over the EQS in the way of performance. Pricing would be similar (depending on options).

Taycan, now EQS, and coming up the Lucid Air...getting a bit crowded in the luxury sedan space with EVs. I'm not sure I see Tesla's ten year advantage or whatever. Of course, seems like there are year+ wait times for any of these vehicles unless you pre-ordered awhile back.

Reactions: stcptl
You can compare to whatever you'd like. All Teslas apparently achieve ~95-97% of their EPA range in real world tests, so the LR (or base) S is still probably some 50+ miles short of the EQS in a "real world" setting. And would then have very little advantage over the EQS in the way of performance. Pricing would be similar (depending on options).

Taycan, now EQS, and coming up the Lucid Air...getting a bit crowded in the luxury sedan space with EVs. I'm not sure I see Tesla's ten year advantage or whatever. Of course, seems like there are year+ wait times for any of these vehicles unless you pre-ordered awhile back.
The best test is to drive till dead. So 2 out of 6 Teslas did hit their EPA rating. Others were close.

But I’d prefer that zero miles left means zero.

Teslas advantage will be the ability to produce massive quantities and produce profitably. Not to mention I find the Tesla ecosystem to be better overall. Seamless supercharging, in car entertainment (just watched a movie the other day while waiting for family during shopping), autopilot usability on almost all roads, top acceleration performance, many OTA updates which other automakers have been slow at so far.

People will choose another option if they just don’t like Elon/Tesla, prefer the design of the other vehicle, loyal to a brand, want a change from Tesla, disgruntled with their Tesla service for some reason. But people wanting the best EV OVERALL experience possible (providing no real bad luck with service), should choose a Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
What data are you looking at? If you look at the Edmunds graph posted above, the Taycan, Mach-E and Kona all show much higher real-world mileage. The only thing "fishy" is Tesla's rosier EPA estimates that far too many people take at face value when comparing against other EVs which tend to be far more conservative with their EPA estimate (backed by Edmund's testing).

I have a MYLR on order but I'm fine acknowledging that Tesla's 326 mile rating for it is a bit aspirational in the real world. Meanwhile there are several comparisons on YT of the "lower range" Mach-E beating a MYLR in range tests. While Tesla has a small edge in efficiency over other manufacturers, it typically has the smallest battery packs compared to competitors, so the latter manage to compete reasonably well on range and even exceed Tesla cars in real-world range tests on occasion. Unfortunately the EPA range estimate is a rather flawed metric and Tesla games it a fair bit compared to some of the other manufacturers.

The variance between the EPA and Edmunds with some cars is massively divergent, so the results are highly suspect.
Second is the range for all the non EQS cars is within 10%, despite all the variables in design.

I read more and watched the Edmund videos, I now believe they did proper diligence in the testing parameters.
It is very interesting the mode of the results, with one being so prominent an outlier.

View attachment 733212

The Mercedes EQS...

Curiously, the Edmonds test show the MS got 353 real miles, the MB 350. Notwithstanding MB's hyped 400+ mile range.

But not a peep about the real world. And, as has been pointed out, they cherry picked the Plaid so they could tout the MB being cheaper.

Unethical journalism, but Edmonds depends on legacy manna.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Curiously, the Edmonds test show the MS got 353 real miles, the MB 350. Notwithstanding MB's hyped 400+ mile range.

But not a peep about the real world. And, as has been pointed out, they cherry picked the Plaid so they could tout the MB being cheaper.

Unethical journalism, but Edmonds depends on legacy manna.
Their testing that they do for this leaderboard uses a consistent methodology across all cars. I don't see any conspiracy here unless you are accusing them of making up the numbers but that requires a rather large burden of proof.

Reactions: stcptl and daktari