Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQS Sedan: Rival to Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That 56 inch MBUX screen. I get the point of the screen in front of the driver. And I really like that big screen in the middle. But I don't get the little screen in front of the passenger seat. What the heck is the point of the passenger screen? Whenever I have someone in the passenger seat, they are either engaging with someone in the car, looking at scenery out the window, or looking at their phone. I have no idea why or when the passenger will be looking at the built-in screen.

That 56 inch MBUX screen. I get the point of the screen in front of the driver. And I really like that big screen in the middle. But I don't get the little screen in front of the passenger seat. What the heck is the point of the passenger screen? Whenever I have someone in the passenger seat, they are either engaging with someone in the car, looking at scenery out the window, or looking at their phone. I have no idea why or when the passenger will be looking at the built-in screen.
could the passenger screen all the passenger to control the entertainment system, the climate system, answer phone and txt messages and use the nav systems.

Expensive toy coming right on time for another round of the rise of income inequality.
The EQS looks as a culmination excess.
1) Excess in interface.
Where is what? Do I now need a manual and a tutorial course to control all butt hugging instruments in this car?
2) Excess in technology
Should I watch the screen with all the augmented reality junk or it is actually safer to simply look out through the normal windshield?
3) Excess
High price is likely to be an attractive feature in the brave new world.

I believe that with all the tech and "luxury" overload, Mercedes may actually miss the main point that in a few years nobody will need that driver-centered tech because of the dawn of the autonomous cars and that all those butt massaging functions in the performance cars, which Mercedes is not, can be dangerously distracting.

Expensive toy coming right on time for another round of the rise of income inequality.
The EQS looks as a culmination excess.
1) Excess in interface.
Where is what? Do I now need a manual and a tutorial course to control all butt hugging instruments in this car?
2) Excess in technology
Should I watch the screen with all the augmented reality junk or it is actually safer to simply look out through the normal windshield?
3) Excess
High price is likely to be an attractive feature in the brave new world.

I believe that with all the tech and "luxury" overload, Mercedes may actually miss the main point that in a few years nobody will need that driver-centered tech because of the dawn of the autonomous cars and that all those butt massaging functions in the performance cars, which Mercedes is not, can be dangerously distracting.
It’s rumored to be priced similarly to the current ICE S class. The model X is 89,000 this should be 7-8000 more.

There are several reviews out on YouTube. I think MKBHD's review summed it best. MB is way ahead on fit, finish and luxury but lag on tech. Tesla is the opposite, way ahead on tech, but lag on fit, finish and luxury. At some point, those lines will be blurred and consumers win.

In the end, Tesla's mission is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. Not to create the most luxurious EV. Based on all of the legacy car makers jumping on the EV bandwagon, Tesla is accomplishing their mission. Media sees it differently, it's pitting every EV against Tesla, which is foolish.

There are several reviews out on YouTube. I think MKBHD's review summed it best. MB is way ahead on fit, finish and luxury but lag on tech. Tesla is the opposite, way ahead on tech, but lag on fit, finish and luxury. At some point, those lines will be blurred and consumers win.

In the end, Tesla's mission is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. Not to create the most luxurious EV. Based on all of the legacy car makers jumping on the EV bandwagon, Tesla is accomplishing their mission. Media sees it differently, it's pitting every EV against Tesla, which is foolish.
On the technology aspect, MB committed to L3 driving in the EQS in the second half of 2022.

2020-11-21_Image_20C0714-072.jpg
2020-11-21_Image_20C0714-077.jpg
2020-11-22_Image_20C0714-014.jpg
2020-11-22_Image_20C0714-061.jpg
2020-11-22_Image_20C0714-063.jpg

Reactions: Needsdecaf
EQS 450+EQS 580 4MATIC
Drive system layout Rear-wheelAll-wheel
Electric motor(s)ModelPermanently excited synchronous motor(s) (PSM)Permanently excited synchronous motor(s) (PSM)
Max. powertrain output[10]kW245385
Max. torque transmission outputNm568855
Acceleration 0-100 km/hs6.24.3
Top speed[11]km/h210210
Battery energy content, usable (WLTP)kWh107.8107.8
Rated voltageVolts396396
Energy recovery capacity, max.[12]kW186290
On-board charger (standard/option)kW11/2211/22
Charging time[13] at wallbox or at public charging station (AC charging, 11/22 kW)h10/510/5
Charging time[14] at a rapid charging station (DC)min3131
DC charging capacity, max.kW200200
DC charging in 15 minutes[15] (WLTP)kmUp to 300Up to 280
Combined fuel consumption (WLTP)kWh/100 km20.4-15.721.8-17.4
CO2 emissions (WLTP)g/km00
Combined fuel consumption (NEDC)kWh/100 km19.1-16.020.0-16.9
CO2 emissions (NEDC)g/km00
Vehicle
Length/width/heightmm5216/1926/15125216/1926/1512
Length/width/height (USA)mm5265/1926/15135265/1926/1513
Track front/rearmm1667/16821667/1682
Turning circle (with rear-axle steering 4.5°/10°)m11.9/10.911.9/10.9
Boot capacity, VDAL610-1770610-1770
Weight in roadworthy condition[16]kg24802585
Payloadkg465-545475-550
Perm. gross vehicle weightkg2945-30253060-3135
cd value from 0.20[17]0.209

Mercedes claims the EQS will have a Cd of 0.20. That's better than any Tesla, and better than even the Lucid Air. The caveat: German automakers have a history of lying about drag coefficients. Mercedes infamously claimed an industry-best 0.22 drag coefficient on the CLA, but the actual measured value was a mediocre 0.30 (Drag Queens: Aerodynamics Compared).
Drag coefficient also isn’t by itself a relevant measure, since its normalized for a given fixed cross-section. So two cars with the same drag coefficient will have different overall drags if their cross-sections differ (that is, the smaller car will do better than the larger one for a given drag coefficient).

I predict a TeslaBjorn 1000 km challenge (driving and charging) to be just below 9 hours 30 minutes. This is Norway/Sweden with 120 km/h speed limit. In Germany, one could maybe go faster and go below that. Best Tesla is Raven S LR 19" is at 9:50 atm.

In EU they will include free Ionity charging the first year.