Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQS Sedan: Rival to Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several reviews out on YouTube. I think MKBHD's review summed it best. MB is way ahead on fit, finish and luxury but lag on tech. Tesla is the opposite, way ahead on tech, but lag on fit, finish and luxury. At some point, those lines will be blurred and consumers win.

In the end, Tesla's mission is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. Not to create the most luxurious EV. Based on all of the legacy car makers jumping on the EV bandwagon, Tesla is accomplishing their mission. Media sees it differently, it's pitting every EV against Tesla, which is foolish.

I watched his review. I was a little skeptical of him saying that. Lag on tech because the UI graphics aren't as slick as some smartphones? I'll give him that, sorta. But remember, this is a German company, inherently conservative, and they're designing a UI made to be used while driving. But lag on tech because the removable tablet is a 10 year old android design? Come on....

I mean, this car has tech that would make the Model S weep. Directional microphones so it knows which passenger is giving a voice command. Lights that automatically come on when you put your hand near the passenger seat. Voice command that works with natural language (as opposed to Tesla who can't even figure out which Kyle in my phonebook I want to call, much less that I want to call his cell phone). Automatically adjusting recuperation that allows you to coast while driving on the straight ahead with no cars in front but automatically switches back on when there's a car or curve ahead. A passenger screen that turns off automatically if it detects the driver looking at it. IR camera eye tracking to enable hands free L2 (future L3 promised) driving. A heads up display with augmented reality that points you around turns while navigating. A UI that checks your schedule and tracks your history and offers suggestions for things like calling your wife, turning on the massage seat after work, etc. Gesture control to close the doors. Etc.

Yeah, it really lags on tech.

I do appreciate your point about the media constantly hyping the next "Tesla Killer". That's very much over played. But I also think it's fading quickly.

While I agree MB's S-class had always lead the way in innovation and tech in every iteration throughout the years. I know a lot of the "standard" equipment in modern cars now for sure came from the S-class from decades ago. I don't disagree with that.

I think though, Tesla lead the entire industry (not just MB), in innovating the "what's next" - not just on gadgets and gizmos and doodads, but an entire eco-system that works fairly well together. I also know that won't be for long, but the point I was trying to make is that - Tesla poke the sleeping giants and it caught their attention.

It's almost similar to the evolution of the iPhone. When it came out in 2007, critics complained on how "big" it was and why it lacked keyboard and that it will never topple Blackberry yada yada yada. Now the original iPhone is tiny compared to the current iterations from Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. By no means iPhone does not lead in that category anymore, but nothing still beats the eco-system of it. I believe that's how Tesla is to the auto-industry. It made a 100-year old industry re-think it's ways. I know some are still resisting it, and I know synthetic fuel is being developed by the likes of Porsche right now - but I would go out on a limb that none of that would've taken place if it weren't for Tesla. Which speaks true to their mission.

Reactions: 5JMJ
I watched his review. I was a little skeptical of him saying that. Lag on tech because the UI graphics aren't as slick as some smartphones? I'll give him that, sorta. But remember, this is a German company, inherently conservative, and they're designing a UI made to be used while driving. But lag on tech because the removable tablet is a 10 year old android design? Come on....

I mean, this car has tech that would make the Model S weep. Directional microphones so it knows which passenger is giving a voice command. Lights that automatically come on when you put your hand near the passenger seat. Voice command that works with natural language (as opposed to Tesla who can't even figure out which Kyle in my phonebook I want to call, much less that I want to call his cell phone). Automatically adjusting recuperation that allows you to coast while driving on the straight ahead with no cars in front but automatically switches back on when there's a car or curve ahead. A passenger screen that turns off automatically if it detects the driver looking at it. IR camera eye tracking to enable hands free L2 (future L3 promised) driving. A heads up display with augmented reality that points you around turns while navigating. A UI that checks your schedule and tracks your history and offers suggestions for things like calling your wife, turning on the massage seat after work, etc. Gesture control to close the doors. Etc.

Yeah, it really lags on tech.
Add rear wheels turning, speed bump recognition by camera, ambient light flashes to indicate heat up or down, a comfortable rear seat for adults, the traffic light camera to show an awkwardly placed traffic light in the IC. Probably more also.
I think it is a tribute to Tesla that they copied so much but made it even more advanced. Tesla really has been the catalyst they set out to be.

Reactions: Stealth.Pilot
I always find the tech argument interesting. I do think the UI integration in Tesla cars are done quite well. However, in term of actual functionality, I really think my Model 3 is quite behind compared to other cars in the segment. For example, my Model 3 can't control my music collections from my phones like majority of cars can. The navigation function also isn't quite as good as most of the cars that came out the last few years, especially ones with CarPlay or Android Auto. I also wish rear cross traffic alert and better blind spot monitoring are available in my Model 3. I do think no one does OTA like Tesla though.

Wish they could have leaned a little bit closer to the concept version of the vehicle, as it is the exterior just looks too much like the "bubble" vehicles we were getting in the 90s (particularly a Saturn) for my taste. As much as people keep saying the Model S is "dated" I still fall in love with them when I see them in real life, and the Lucid's exterior looks much more appealing to me than this one too.

Mercedes body styles have never appealed to me though, so I was never the crowd for this, but I think this is a vehicle much more likely to take away from Mercedes ICE sales than it will be Model S sales (though similarly I also think Model S plaid is probably more likely to appeal to people upgrading their Teslas rather than pulling in new Tesla customers).

But great job to the Mercedes crew on the dialing in the EV aspects, where the SUV EV they dropped a couple years ago felt a bit like a lazy effort, on this one some of those specs are real eye openers (and from an OEM for once, instead of some hopeful startup!), and the work that they've done on sound insulation will absolutely make this vehicle an envy to ride in (I was always impressed with how quiet ICE Mercedes vehicles are!).

Vaporware. First another electric car is a sister to Tesla, not a rival.
Second, it doesn't exist for people to buy. Waste of time talking about it until its real.
Well well well. Glad to see I am wrong. Nice that MB will have a decent EV. Funny though how so many have not learned from "the man". Elon doesn't need to say it lately, but many of us remember what he says when another EV comes along that's called a Telsa killer. He says, (something like), "its not a Tesla killer, its not competition. It IS a sister to Tesla. ICE is the competition. "

Reactions: daktari and alexgr
I'll say it again.....the first manufacturer to secure a deal with Tesla for their batteries and charging capabilities will be the go to EV. The however will work both ways. Tesla can use some guidance on build quality and interior design, not to mention money. Their venture with Toyota is nice and I suspect will result in the new hatchback, Toyota might be that manufacturer.

there is nothing stopping you from giving your money to those who don't have as much as you do.
Doing it every day.
Hideous. Two tone looks terrible.

Design looks like a squashed bug. Can't get rid of that grill either I see.

Wow lol. Tesla really does *still run this sh*t
My old Model 3 will outperform the MB S-Classe, and it looks better most likely at half the price...

One of the most cumbersome UIs I've ever seen and used was on a late model AMG S63. Too many buttons and menus to do the simplest things. It takes a lot of attention away from driving. I'm not sold on the whole German superiority hype. A Citation's cockpit looks cool and intimidating with all the buttons and lights, but I don't want it in my car.

The simple interface on my model 3 could run circles around that and even it could use some improvements. The EQS should be much better in that regard from just looking at the video. Not a fan of the dash shape but the integrated screens gives it that futuristic look. It's a better looking Mercedes for sure. It stands out, but what kills it for me is that grill. I have to still give the Model S the nod for looks inside and out, but I'm biased.

While I agree MB's S-class had always lead the way in innovation and tech in every iteration throughout the years. I know a lot of the "standard" equipment in modern cars now for sure came from the S-class from decades ago. I don't disagree with that.

I think though, Tesla lead the entire industry (not just MB), in innovating the "what's next" - not just on gadgets and gizmos and doodads, but an entire eco-system that works fairly well together. I also know that won't be for long, but the point I was trying to make is that - Tesla poke the sleeping giants and it caught their attention.

It's almost similar to the evolution of the iPhone. When it came out in 2007, critics complained on how "big" it was and why it lacked keyboard and that it will never topple Blackberry yada yada yada. Now the original iPhone is tiny compared to the current iterations from Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. By no means iPhone does not lead in that category anymore, but nothing still beats the eco-system of it. I believe that's how Tesla is to the auto-industry. It made a 100-year old industry re-think it's ways. I know some are still resisting it, and I know synthetic fuel is being developed by the likes of Porsche right now - but I would go out on a limb that none of that would've taken place if it weren't for Tesla. Which speaks true to their mission.

Yeah, I agree with you on that standpoint. Tesla has made everything in the car so there's no issues. Right now Porsche Taycans are taking 1-3 days to do a full software update, AT THE DEALER, because the order has to be done correctly, uninterrupted, otherwise the update will fail. Several cars have had control modules crash bricking the car, and now have to order new modules from Germany. This is all from the Taycan owner's forum, so straight from the horse's mouth.

I also agree...without Tesla, we certainly wouldn't be where we are today with EV's. Tesla proved the use case, and definitely caught everyone sleeping for sure. Both for the market place and how things are done to create the vehicles.

I'll say it again.....the first manufacturer to secure a deal with Tesla for their batteries and charging capabilities will be the go to EV. The however will work both ways. Tesla can use some guidance on build quality and interior design, not to mention money. Their venture with Toyota is nice and I suspect will result in the new hatchback, Toyota might be that manufacturer.

Sorry, but I don't see this as a necessity at all.

Sorry, but I don't see this as a necessity at all.

It’s very necessary. Right now Tesla has the reputation that Hyundai had in the past as far as build quality.

Relying on EA and CP in my opinion is like rolling dice. Imagine a well built vehicle like a Benz charging at a Tesla SC.... quality and true luxury with Tesla’s charging infrastructure. Win win.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk677