Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQS Sedan: Rival to Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. If I wanted a Mercedes, I'd buy one. For that money, I'd rather spend a little more on a Model S Plaid. The excitement of driving a car with that amount power is unmatched.

You are in the minority, soon the EV class will take the same hit as the ICE as far as enthusiast go. The majority of people prefer creature comforts, reliability, efficiency, and brand status. I don't see anything wrong with Tesla and other manufacturers going in on a joint venture that brings the best EV we can get.

It’s very necessary. Right now Tesla has the reputation that Hyundai had in the past as far as build quality.

Relying on EA and CP in my opinion is like rolling dice. Imagine a well built vehicle like a Benz charging at a Tesla SC.... quality and true luxury with Tesla’s charging infrastructure. Win win.

EA and CP are growing. Remember how hard it was to get gasoline in the past? People quickly forget. They will quickly close the gap and as more companies enter the marketplace, it will get even better. Look at how it is in Norway.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
EA and CP are growing. Remember how hard it was to get gasoline in the past? People quickly forget. They will quickly close the gap and as more companies enter the marketplace, it will get even better. Look at how it is in Norway.

I truly hope so. I'm still skeptical of big oil and their interest though. In some ways I feel they are working in the background trying to sabotage this EV movement lol.....

Either way, for now, you cant beat Tesla's charging capabilities and access.

I'm liking the EQS as a car, but as with anything, there are a few things I'd change and others I love. Personally, it's one of those cars I'd like to see and experience in-person, before making a final decision, but I'm glad it exists, as it pushes boundaries in a few key areas.

I also think it separates itself enough from the Model S, that I don't see the two as aggressive competitors. The EQS plays to MB's strengths and high luxury/features, while the Model S continues to push harder on performance, software and Tesla's overall mission of setting a benchmark for EV technologies (not so much luxury car appointments). I'm really curious to see how the EQS sells, relative to other Mercedes gas offerings.

I'm also curious to see the buying demographic for this vehicle and how much it will overlap with a company like Lucid, who seems more focused on the luxury sector.

Sorry, but I don't see this as a necessity at all.
Agreed. While I think Tesla can stand to improve fit and finish, the narrative has gotten ahead of itself on the internet, IMO. Tesla is capable of resolving issues themselves, if they make it a priority, so I don't think they need to partner with another brand to do it.

As to their interior design, it speaks its own language. As a person who likes minimal-modern design, I prefer the experience that Tesla offers. There are dozens of manufacturers out there with more complex interiors, some with better or worse materials, but rarely with similar design language. If I want what a rival brand offers, I'll just buy that brands offering. I don't necessarily want Tesla to copy it.

Reactions: outdoors
You are in the minority, soon the EV class will take the same hit as the ICE as far as enthusiast go. The majority of people prefer creature comforts, reliability, efficiency, and brand status. I don't see anything wrong with Tesla and other manufacturers going in on a joint venture that brings the best EV we can get.
Tesla already has the brand status. Reliability is good (people often confuse reliability with cosmetic issues which it does suffer from and can be fixed). Mercedes's reliability isn't that great, so I'm afraid mixing the brands might have a negative effect. I bought a Tesla for what it is. I like the look, the performance, the minimalist design and the tech. And it has all the creature comforts I need. It's not perfect, but it doesn't need to be 'saved'.

I think the other guys have enough resources that they can band together and improve their charging infrastructure. That way, the whole industry benefits.

Reactions: Let's Drive
Tesla already has the brand status. Reliability is good (people often confuse reliability with cosmetic issues which it does suffer from and can be fixed). Mercedes's reliability isn't that great, so I'm afraid mixing the brands might have a negative effect. I bought a Tesla for what it is. I like the look, the performance, the minimalist design and the tech. And it has all the creature comforts I need. It's not perfect, but it doesn't need to be 'saved'.

I think the other guys have enough resources that they can band together and improve their charging infrastructure. That way, the whole industry benefits.

I'm not saying Mercedes specifically, Tesla has a venture with Toyota and I cant wait to see what comes out of that. The problem is Toyota tends to make the driving experience boring until recently.

Tesla doesn't need to be 'Saved' but it does need to be improved and that's where Toyota will come in. I can almost guarantee that whatever they cook up together will be amazing.

The Verge review of the EQS was less than stellar, even though it was done by Mr “Anti-Tesla” Hawkins.

I wonder why anyone would consider that a "review". It's painfully obvious that he doesn't have access to the car and has to make use of the official reveal. There are tons of reviews on Youtube, both in German and in English, with plenty of technical details, yet we are supposed to accept this piece with its reference to "two tone paint" as relevant?
It's also quite telling that people are pointing out 0-62 or quarter-mile figures, as if everyone who buys a luxury car dreams of being king of the racetrack on the weekends (just drag racing please, nothing too demanding).
One should expect that anyone who cares about the advance of EVs would welcome any new contributor, yet apparently many people here have all the maturity of a bunch of kids who are comparing figures on a card quartet.
People who buy this sort of car most certainly don't consider a blistering acceleration to 62 as the core competence of their vehicle. It's also quite telling how people seem to believe any bluster by Tesla as evidence how Tesla supposedly owns all the tech of these cars.
Whatever floats your boat, you should be happy about as much competition as possible.

Last edited:
The interior of the EQS is indeed luxurious and in a far higher league than Tesla's. But I don't think the exterior design is as timeless as previous gen S Classes. Actually, Mercedes IMHO, stopped making classy/stately cars since the big body S-Class (W-140) in the 90's and the ones before it were beautiful and timeless. The W-220 (2000's) onwards look dated and crappy after just a few years.

Reactions: polyphonic54
Agreed. If I wanted a Mercedes, I'd buy one. For that money, I'd rather spend a little more on a Model S Plaid. The excitement of driving a car with that amount power is unmatched.

If excitement means watching out because you could get arrested at any minute. Outside of a drag strip, ultra high performance cars are more a liability than an asset. You get worse ride and the constant risk of losing your license if you use the power. I know - I have owned several of them - 911 Turbo S, Panamera Turbo S, Jaguar F-Type SVR, BMW M5, Mercedes E63S. Mid spec powertrain is the way to go - cars like the Model S LR or the EQS580.

• Disagree
Reactions: mk677
If excitement means watching out because you could get arrested at any minute. Outside of a drag strip, ultra high performance cars are more a liability than an asset. You get worse ride and the constant risk of losing your license if you use the power. I know - I have owned several of them - 911 Turbo S, Panamera Turbo S, Jaguar F-Type SVR, BMW M5, Mercedes E63S. Mid spec powertrain is the way to go - cars like the Model S LR or the EQS580.
Those cars are not in the same class as the Plaid. It is estimated to be under 9 seconds in the quarter. They would get demolished in a drag race. But realistically, you can get arrested in any higher-end car that can do triple digits in a hurry. It does not have to be ultra high performance. It's up to you whether that happens on or not. The car isn't driving itself. You can have fun and be safe at the same time.

Now admittedly, an 1100hp car is nothing to take likely. Still, the weak point is the person sitting behind the wheel.

Reactions: outdoors and mk677
I wonder why anyone would consider that a "review". It's painfully obvious that he doesn't have access to the car and has to make use of the official reveal. There are tons of reviews on Youtube, both in German and in English, with plenty of technical details, yet we are supposed to accept this piece with its reference to "two tone paint" as relevant?
It's also quite telling that people are pointing out 0-62 or quarter-mile figures, as if everyone who buys a luxury car dreams of being king of the racetrack on the weekends (just drag racing please, nothing too demanding).
One should expect that anyone who cares about the advance of EVs would welcome any new contributor, yet apparently many people here have all the maturity of a bunch of kids who are comparing figures on a card quartet.
People who buy this sort of car most certainly don't consider a blistering acceleration to 62 as the core competence of their vehicle. It's also quite telling how people seem to believe any bluster by Tesla as evidence how Tesla supposedly owns all the tech of these cars.
Whatever floats your boat, you should be happy about as much competition as possible.

Er, in what way did my brief reference to the Verge review qualify as "having the maturity of a bunch of kids who are comparing figures of a card quartet" ?

Those cars are not in the same class as the Plaid. It is estimated to be under 9 seconds in the quarter. They would get demolished in a drag race. But realistically, you can get arrested in any higher-end car that can do triple digits in a hurry. It does not have to be ultra high performance. It's up to you whether that happens on or not. The car isn't driving itself. You can have fun and be safe at the same time.

Now admittedly, an 1100hp car is nothing to take likely. Still, the weak point is the person sitting behind the wheel.
Well you don't have a high performance car, so you don't know what the temptation is like to speed when you do own one relative to a more luxury oriented model.

Well you don't have a high performance car, so you don't know what the temptation is like to speed when you do own one relative to a more luxury oriented model.
My car can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds which is quicker than the majority of the cars I encounter, so the temptation to speed is always there. It's fast enough to land myself behind bars. Still, I think about others on the road and try to be smart about it.