TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mercedes EV coming ?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

This looks like a worthy competitor to both the Whitestar and the Fisker Karma. The wierd thing though is the "dynamo" they want to include which appareantly can't drive the car alone. I always thought you either do a pure BEV and deal with the limited range somehow (fast charging, battery swap, not drive very long etc). Or you make a REEV hybrid and then you can drive as far as you can get fuel for your range extender, maybe not at full power but at least at lower highway speeds. ??

Cobos

2. DDB

DDB Member

So just about every major manufacturer is working on an EV (or similarly construed vehicle) EXCEPT Chrysler, Honda, and Ford. Am I missing anyone? This is wonderful news.

3. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Isn't Volvo = Ford or did you mean working on a EV for their own brand?
    But regardless as you said DDB, we'll be spoilt for choice in both the EV and REEV variant soon if all these concepts and projects actually end up as cars we can buy :)

Cobos

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

As pointed out, Ford's Volvo division is active.

And Chrysler has their "Envi" project.

And Honda has their scooters.

5. DDB

DDB Member

I forgot about the Recharge. But Envi doesn't even have a concept and scooters don't quite do it for me. These majors are lagging.

6. mt2

mt2 Member

Anyone want to look up the article on Chrysler deciding to in-source their battery development? Remember the discussion on that was that car manufacturers out-source the non-essential parts and in-source the key components, meaning Chrysler thinks batteries are key to their future competitiveness. Interpret it as you will. I read it as Chrysler is doing a certain amount of stealth development (beyond Envi) while they decide on a direction.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator