Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes GLC AMG how does it compare to Model 3 and X?

JetFalcon

Dec 31, 2018
Orange County CA
My parents bought a really tricked out Mercedes last year, the Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1. Looks like a car out of Forza Horizon 4, it's not really a car I thought my dad would buy. He has bought a Mercedes E55 AMG about 20 years ago, like in the early 2000s. That car was pretty beast for the time, and its leather was still really nice even after 10 years of use. He sold it sometime in 2008-10.

But even though my parents car is more expensive than my Tesla Model 3, it's still slow as *sugar*. Even compared to a Tesla Model X, this Mercedes is also slow as *sugar*.

I don't really know for sure, I haven't gotten to drive it much to make a final decision. However, I did drive it from OC to LA in traffic once, what is like a 1-2 hour commute. It sucks in stop n go traffic, and it doesn't have autopilot. And if I do drive it, it's usually with my mom or dad, and they don't like me accelerating and complain it's not comfortable. But the performance doesn't really matter though, it sucks compared to electric. The Tesla Model 3 is much more fun to accelerate. I even kept up with a Lamborghini Aventador that was racing around the streets. I dunno if I would have beat it, but I was fast enough to keep up with it and get the owner's attention.

All I have is my Model 3 to compare to my parents car. But what if I got a Tesla Model X in the same price range to compare to a Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1? I think the Tesla would be faster. My mom claimed she test drove one, but didn't like how electric drives? For 60 year people, I thought electric cars drive much smoother than any gas car would, and be faster without even trying.

If I get another car, I will try my best to be sure its electric, I can't go back to gas based cars and their lag when you floor it. Or how they jerk around and not go if you flood the engine with too much gas.

TomB985

Apr 15, 2019
Isanti, MN
Unfortunately most people have a tendency to resist change in stick with what they are comfortable with. Seems to me that the older people get, the worse this tends to be.

Interesting comparison, thanks for posting your thoughts.

Valore

Apr 26, 2018
Florence, Italy
It certainly looks a lot cooler than a Model X or Model 3 though. Gotta give your parents props for that.

2019-GLC63S-AMG-COUPE-009.jpg

2017_Tesla_Model_X_100D_Front.jpg

gigawatt1010

Aug 21, 2016
Orange County, New York
To answer OP's question... it doesn't! :)

Also, not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you trying to convince your folks to buy a Model X? Are you buying them a Model X? I think you answered your own question with your post.

@Valore & @Zaxxon - arguing which is cooler looking is just a waste of time since it is very subjective. I personally like the Model X best out of all the computer-mouse looking CUVs from other manufacturers as I thought the proportions are spot on. Again, this is just IMHO, YMMV.

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
Mercedes has lost their styling edge since the European pedestrian regulations eliminated low hoods and crisp grills.

This is not a problem for EVs because they have lots of crush space up front.

Think the newer Mercedes look like Ass compared to their prevous glory.

BMW has done slightly better, but their newer grills are way over done.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC