Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Head: Tesla Has No Network, Limited Potential (Forbes Article)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Folks are buying a Tesla now because they’re kind of cool, but if you’re a Tesla buyer, you have to have multiple cars,” Cannon said.
-------------

Incredibly short-sighted attitude. In fact I would describe it as a willful blindness to reality. Surely he knows what a Tesla Supercharger is. Surely he knows that in a few years there will be SC's all over the US (plus many more charging locations of various types). Surely he knows that a 200+ mile range EV can handle well over 95% of the daily car trips made in the US.

My parents have two Teslas and no other vehicles. I have one and want another to replace my ICE.

The Mercedes B class is a short range compliance EV. Mercedes needs to get serious about EVs soon or in a decade their sales volume will be pathetic.

Not all have to be of the same opinion - whether within Daimler or not. Chelsea Sexton reported via Twitter e.g. Daimler's (owner of Mercedes) wish to expand cooperation with Tesla: http://t.co/kaTliGi6Ft, hardly an expression of pessimism about Tesla's prospects.

The well known futurist Lars Thomsen spoke at the recent annual meeting of the Swiss Tesla Owners Club and the currently very real controversies at board level in the traditional auto industry. As to Lars Thomsen: See his presentation to auto industry representatives (in German) here: Elektromobilität: Revolution der Automobilindustrie von Lars Thomsen - YouTube .

I'm reminded of this:

Thanks Nigel. I love the digital camera parallel - it may be the best but others are fun too.

Original quote:
"Folks are buying a Tesla now because they’re kind of cool, but if you’re a Tesla buyer, you have to have multiple cars,” Cannon said

I bet that sentiment has been said many times many ways:
"Folks are buying a digital camera now because they’re kind of cool, but if you’re a digital camera buyer, you have to have multiple cameras,” Cannon said

"Folks are buying a horseless carriage now because they’re kind of cool, but if you’re an automobile buyer, you have to keep your horses,” Cannon said

"Folks are buying steamships now because they’re kind of cool, but if you’re a steamship buyer, you have to have keep your old schooner because we will never run out of wind” Cannon said

"Folks are using that parchment now because its kind of cool, but if you’re a parchment user, you have to have keep your old chisels and stone tools because stone tablets last forever” Cannon said

"Folks are using those electronic calculators now because they are kind of cool, but if you’re a calculator user, you have to have keep your slide rule because it works when the batteries run out” Cannon said

It's interesting how the comments section of these articles call out the misinformation now. I think it has been interesting seeing this change over time. More and more people are waking up to the fact that EVs are the way forward and Tesla has had a large part to play in making this happen. I only hope that this starts to happen in Australia when they start to be sold here. There are still a lot of stupid comments in Aussie EV articles at the moment.

TESLA - your army is ready and waiting to win the war in Australia - Just give us the weapons (cars) and the battle can begin one test drive at a time!

Any former Mercedes owners on here love going to this great network for sales and service?
As I posted in another thread... here's my experience with my previous Mercedes S class. There are only 2 Mercedes dealers where I live, I tried both of them.
- Lone Star Mercedes Calgary returned car with a two inch long, half inch deep gouge missing from the grille and offered to charge me to fix their damage, also broke two glow plugs while testing the electrical systems, again offered to let me pay for repairs.
- Hyatt Mercedes Calgary while troubleshooting a sudden increase to the amount of smoke the vehicle produced, coupled with a sudden decrease in acceleration "that's normal, it's a diesel" (it wasn't normal last week... or at any time since new! (turned out to be a jammed altitude compensator))
- Hyatt Mercedes Calgary while troubleshooting a persistent dead battery, boosted the car to get it in to the shop, tested it, boosted it to get it out of the shop, told me nothing was wrong with it, charged me for their time, and boosted it again to let me drive it home.

"Folks are buying a Tesla now because they’re kind of cool, but if you’re a Tesla buyer, you have to have multiple cars,” Cannon said

Cannon is correct. We got the first MS and I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HAD TO HAVE another MS for my wife which, of course, makes the bar for "multiple cars".

"and the potential of fully electric vehicles for the rest of my
short lived business/professional
life ..... will be limited
,” he said.

Cannon is correct. We got the first MS and I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HAD TO HAVE another MS for my wife which, of course, makes the bar for "multiple cars".

"and the potential of fully electric vehicles for the rest of my
short lived business/professional
life ..... will be limited
,” he said.

+1. We just had to have a second car as well:)

That's a great point. He is right. I bought a Model S and my wife absolutely has to have a Tesla now, too.

And once we do, we'll be happy to be rid of gas cars forever.

Ok this and every post after it is amazing ! I am still waiting to become a single Tesla Household but if I have to wait untill Gen 3 I will quickly become a dual Tesla household. :)

The most striking things to me were... First, he seems to think people love their dealerships and their visits to the gas station. He come across sort of like the Marlboro Man: "Well, these e-cigs are kind of a fad now, but then you'd have to give up your lung cancer *and* your emphysema, which we know are things consumers really want."

Second... He talks about how M-B and other car makers are going to pile into Tesla's space with competing products, but the only thing he can name is a plug-in hybrid with a V6 and a 20-mile electric range. "We're really excited about it!" Yeah. Well, I'm glad somebody is.

I would be. It is extremely evident by the cars they release that there isn't another company in the world that "gets it" like Tesla. Every "extended range electric" (translated: hybrid) and every electric with a useless range they release just goes to prove that they don't understand where the world is going. Tesla is 10 years ahead of the industry, but instead of playing catch up, the industry is busy arguing that they don't need to.
I'm not expecting any of these behemoths to fail any time soon, but you can bet they'll be dragging their ICE feet as long as they can possibly get away with.

Granted it isn't affordable at all but MB did put out the SLS AMG Electric Drive.
The SLS AMG Electric Drive

I understand they are reacting slow, but so is everyone else (except Tesla). So as long as they react sooner that the other behemoths they should come out just fine.

It really isn't just anyone that can start producing vehicles.