Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Head: Tesla Has No Network, Limited Potential (Forbes Article)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Granted it isn't affordable at all but MB did put out the SLS AMG Electric Drive.
So... they put out something designed to compete with the roadster, but with half the range at 4-5 times the price, and I can't even figure out if it's available for sale anywhere? yeah, not impressed yet. Even if you are generous enough to call that a roadster equivalent, that still puts them more than 5 years behind Tesla.
(I also find it hilarious that AMG is reported to have put in a fake engine sound generator so that there's noise inside the cab... more proof that they don't get it)

It really isn't just anyone that can start producing vehicles.
You're right, but there's no reason why someone from outside the industry should be the only one making a decent electric car.

"Folks are buying a Tesla now because they’re kind of cool, but if you’re a Tesla buyer, you have to have multiple cars,” Cannon said.
-------------

Incredibly short-sighted attitude. In fact I would describe it as a willful blindness to reality. Surely he knows what a Tesla Supercharger is. Surely he knows that in a few years there will be SC's all over the US (plus many more charging locations of various types). Surely he knows that a 200+ mile range EV can handle well over 95% of the daily car trips made in the US.

My parents have two Teslas and no other vehicles. I have one and want another to replace my ICE.

The Mercedes B class is a short range compliance EV. Mercedes needs to get serious about EVs soon or in a decade their sales volume will be pathetic.

To go further ecarfan, and using your example, if one of your parent's EV's were this Merc B-class, then he WOULD be right - they WOULD need/want a second car for the rest of their driving needs.

Really a shame he hasn't figured out that people with Tesla's DON'T need a second / different car (by and large - I do realize there are people where this generalization does not apply).

Me personally - our Roadster gets almost all of our driving miles, with the gasser used for our in-town "hauling" (using a CRX as a hauler tells you the scale I work at :)). As with others, switching to a second Tesla will make us an all electric household, and I can hardly wait.

Its going to be hard to win the war in Australia with a 1950's style anti green govt (global warming is crap!!), a car that will cost $150k. But good luck....

If it's only $150k in Oz, that isn't too bad. Import duties and taxes in Oz are off the chart for virtually all cars based on extensive conversations I've had with good friends of ours who live in Melbourne, who are car nuts. In fact, I put my reservation down on the Model S in September 2012 when my friend was visiting and took him to the Menlo Park show room. He has been anxiously awaiting the introduction of the MS Down Under since.

Its going to be hard to win the war in Australia with a 1950's style anti green govt (global warming is crap!!), a car that will cost $150k. But good luck....

When Australia's coastal cities begin to look like Venice, as they will, the "global warming is crap folks" may justifiably be subject to public hangings:)

article-sea-level-rise_16648_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Granted it isn't affordable at all but MB did put out the SLS AMG Electric Drive.
The SLS AMG Electric Drive /…
So... they put out something designed to compete with the roadster, but with half the range at 4-5 times the price, and I can't even figure out if it's available for sale anywhere? /… [My underline.]
I remember someone from Norway posting here on TMC somewhere that allegedly at least two of these cars have been bought by two different Norwegians.

Found this that mentions at least one sale:

.../ This particular [car], the third produced so far this year, had been sold to an undisclosed buyer in Norway.

“It’s the world’s first supercar. Mercedes say it’s in series production, and you can have one if you want and can afford to pay for it.” /...

[My underline.]

Source: Racy electric cars come to Oslo / News / The Foreigner – Norwegian News in English.

Last edited:
If it's only $150k in Oz, that isn't too bad. Import duties and taxes in Oz are off the chart for virtually all cars based on extensive conversations I've had with good friends of ours who live in Melbourne, who are car nuts. In fact, I put my reservation down on the Model S in September 2012 when my friend was visiting and took him to the Menlo Park show room. He has been anxiously awaiting the introduction of the MS Down Under since.

Pricing for the Model S is apparently being announced soon for Australia. To give some context though, a Mercedes E250 starts from about AUD$105k upwards and the E400 starts from about AUD$140k upwards (per the Aus MB website). An E63 AMG S starts from about AUD$268k(!) upwards. The AUD/USD exchange rate is about 0.93 at the moment. We'll find out soon, but I think the pricing for the Model S will start somewhere just below an E250 for a base 60kWh Model S and just above the E400 for a P85 with some options. Pretty comparable to the Mercedes E-Class then.

Once we start getting "bums in seats", I think the Model S will start to eat into its peers' market share in Australia like it is internationally, including the Mercedes E-Class. Compared to the Mercedes S-Class, the Model S is going to be a bargain in Australia! The S-Class starts from AUD$209k for a base S300 BlueTec Hybrid up to over AUD$408k(!!!) for a base S63 AMG. This is a prime example of what people refer to as the "Australia Tax", where companies have stupidly high prices, compared to international pricing, for no apparent reason in Australia (even after applying actual Australian taxes). Mercedes had better watch out down under with their uber-stupid Aussie pricing. They got some 'splaining to do.....

The only drawback to initially owning a Model S in Australia is the lack of a Supercharger network. Hopefully that will be addressed by Tesla in short order.

Last edited:
Pricing for the Model S is apparently being announced soon for Australia. To give some context though, a Mercedes E250 starts from about AUD$105k upwards and the E400 starts from about AUD$140k upwards (per the Aus MB website). An E63 AMG S starts from about AUD$268k(!) upwards. The AUD/USD exchange rate is about 0.93 at the moment. We'll find out soon, but I think the pricing for the Model S will start somewhere just below an E250 for a base 60kWh Model S and just above the E400 for a P85 with some options. Pretty comparable to the Mercedes E-Class then.

Once we start getting "bums in seats", I think the Model S will start to eat into its peers' market share in Australia like it is internationally, including the Mercedes E-Class. Compared to the Mercedes S-Class, the Model S is going to be a bargain in Australia! The S-Class starts from AUD$209k for a base S300 BlueTec Hybrid up to over AUD$408k(!!!) for a base S63 AMG. This is a prime example of what people refer to as the "Australia Tax", where companies have stupidly high prices, compared to international pricing, for no apparent reason in Australia (even after applying actual Australian taxes). Mercedes had better watch out down under with their uber-stupid Aussie pricing. They got some 'splaining to do.....

The only drawback to initially owning a Model S in Australia is the lack of a Supercharger network. Hopefully that will be addressed by Tesla in short order.

And this is a benefit of Tesla's focus on lowering overheads.
The price is fixed.
Add currency hedge.
Figure out whether there are enough sales to justify compliance costs.
If so, figure out whether there are enough sales for a store and a service center.
If so, start selling.
Figure out whether there are enough sales, or enough dependency on Superchargers: if so start building.
It's much easier when you don't spend much on marketing.

Australia, of course, depends on the larger RHD markets, which includes Japan, and that depends on the CHAdeMO adapter being approved and available in volume. And Tesla's current priority is China, so that's holding up RHD.

I guess he is right in part. I have one car but I have to have a 4wd pickup for my farm. But wait, a luxury MB could haul hay and a tractor? Passing off Tesla as a toy for rich kids who will pick up the next cool toy is wishful thinking on his part. I suspect that a good number of Tesla buyers replaced standard sedans with an MS. I sold my 2006 Nissan Altima. I wouldn't have considered buying a MB BMW or Porsche if i hadn't bought the MS. I probably would have bought a Maxima.

Same here...hey, that MB dude is smarter than I thought! :wink::biggrin:

He's right, of course. I have a second car. A Tesla Roadster.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what killed the dinosaurs, wasn't it? :wink:

I would be. It is extremely evident by the cars they release that there isn't another company in the world that "gets it" like Tesla. Every "extended range electric" (translated: hybrid) and every electric with a useless range they release just goes to prove that they don't understand where the world is going. Tesla is 10 years ahead of the industry, but instead of playing catch up, the industry is busy arguing that they don't need to.
I'm not expecting any of these behemoths to fail any time soon, but you can bet they'll be dragging their ICE feet as long as they can possibly get away with.

The head of Mercedes USA has a point. Tesla must establish itself with an infrastructure of charging stations and service facilities before an established manufacturer decides to manufacture and distribute an electric vehicle comparable in elegance and performance to the Model S. Judging from the speed in which the Supercharger network is building out, as well as the priority and urgency given to the gigafactory battery plan, Tesla's leadership appears to be well aware that it is in a race against time.

. Tesla must establish itself with an infrastructure of charging stations and service facilities before an established manufacturer decides to manufacture and distribute an electric vehicle comparable in elegance and performance to the Model S.

If they wait that long it will be too late. Superchargers are eye-catching monoliths, very visible and great for raising brand awareness. The general public will start to register that they are seeing them everywhere.